Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to connect a high-level input to some speaker cable to extend it and was wondering how to get the best connection.

I can either twist the wires together and put heat shrink tubing.
or
Twist with tape.
or
Crimp the two together.

What's the best method?

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
Your best bet would be to solder and heat shrink tube them, second best would be, twist together and crimp with closed end caps.

Thats just my $.02.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do those close ended ones just crimp regularly?
I have some blue ones that have the wire go in each end.

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
The colors have to do with what gauge wire you are using. You can still use the crimps if you want, but "I" would still use shrink tubing just to protect the connection. I don't ever use crimps so I can't make any recommendations beyond that.

Edit: sorry I misunderstood your question. What he is referring to is something that looks like a one ended crimp. You twist the wires together and then crimp the crimp connection over top of that. I have never used these, because they have a tendency to come off at bad times.

· Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,821 Posts
Do those close ended ones just crimp regularly?
I have some blue ones that have the wire go in each end.
yes they do

you are referring to butt connectors

I only solder...its the only connection that can be guaranteed to be trouble free

anyway, if you are tapping the speaker leads for your amp, you dont want to cut the wires....remove about 1/2" of the insulation and tie the new wire into that....twist and tape if you want

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
Could I twist, heat shrink, then tape over that?
Heat shrink tubing is to prevent shorting and to provide mild weather resistance... It is not designed to actually hold a connection together. You want solder to actually provide a good connection -- the heat shrink simply covers the otherwise-exposed joint.

If you're not going to perform a quality solder joint, then you are better off using crimps.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just installed my head unit today. Solder + heat shrink tube is the only way to go, imo. Done properly, the connection is stronger than the cable, itself.
I am 15 and my dad recently passed away so I have no means of soldering. I just have some crimping tools and whatever I found in his tool box.

We sold the soldering guns.

· Registered
497 Posts
I am 15 and my dad recently passed away so I have no means of soldering. I just have some crimping tools and whatever I found in his tool box.

We sold the soldering guns.
I am very sorry to hear about your father.

There really isn't anything wrong with crimped connections. The vast majority of aftermarket stereos are installed with crimps. They're faster, and done properly, they hold well-enough.

I do think solder joints are stronger, look better, and take up less room; however, I certainly wouldn't berate anyone for using crimps.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately I can not afford it right now after spending 250 on sub/amp/wiring but I may go back and redo it afterward if my crimps do not work.

· Registered
497 Posts
If you can swing it, I'd just buy yourself a soldering iron. They can be had for less than $15 and will last you plenty long. It's a good tool have in your garage.
Personally, I don't trust those cheap-o irons. Years ago, I got very frustrated with them. I ended up buying a Hako variable-power soldering station, and I'll never go back. The quality of my solder joints improved dramatically.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.