Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've just newly encountered the known issue with the low-beams going out. I switched out the relays and that worked. Now, I have a check engine light on. Both the fan and lights are working. Help!!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
Hi there, I've just newly encountered the known issue with the low-beams going out. I switched out the relays and that worked. Now, I have a check engine light on. Both the fan and lights are working. Help!!
Which "Fan" are you referring to? The relay you swapped is used for the Engine Cooling Fan Clutch on the front of the motor. If you are getting a CEL after swapping and your headlights are working, then you need to purchase a new Relay to replace the "Fan" relay. The swapping just narrows down the problem, you now need to replace the bad part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which "Fan" are you referring to? The relay you swapped is used for the Engine Cooling Fan Clutch on the front of the motor. If you are getting a CEL after swapping and your headlights are working, then you need to purchase a new Relay to replace the "Fan" relay. The swapping just narrows down the problem, you now need to replace the bad part.
Hi Bromanjr, thanks for the reply! I'll try that. Will that fix the CEL issue, or do I need to do something else to make that go away (pull the battery?).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to answer your question... the fan I was referring to was the engine fan. I guess I assumed it would not be operational if the relay wasn't working.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Hi Bromanjr, thanks for the reply! I'll try that. Will that fix the CEL issue, or do I need to do something else to make that go away (pull the battery?).
If you replace the bad relay, the CEL should go off on it's own. If it doesn't, a place like Autozone that scans for trouble codes for free, should be able to clear it for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you replace the bad relay, the CEL should go off on it's own. If it doesn't, a place like Autozone that scans for trouble codes for free, should be able to clear it for you.
Great, thanks! I'll give that a try.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The fan spins at idle because of residual friction in the fan clutch. With a bad relay, it will not spin at the commanded RPM as the engine heats up. That's probably what set the code, but any time you get a CEL, you should get it read immediately. It might be related, or it might be a coincidence, and a worse code might be lurking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts