Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. My driveway is fairly steep so when I park, I always use the parking brake. When I start the truck with the parking brake on, the headlights won't turn on. As soon as I put the parking brake down, the lights turn on as normal. Anybody have a clue as to what is causing this?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I don't see a connection in 2004 between the Ebrake and the DRLs, but the headlights ARE suppressed while you're in PARK. No need for them when you're not moving.

The headlight switch can override this behavior.

I don't see it as a problem or a failure, just the designed-in behavior.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
Same with my '02 LS.
Not a problem but it is a little strange.

If you want the headlights on while the parking brake is engaged -- start the truck, step on the brake pedal, ease the parking brake down and when the headlights come on pull the parking brake lever back up. Once the lights are on the p-brake will not turn them off.

Just one more example of "Look what stupid trick I can make the car do" engineering. Does anybody need this feature? Did anybody ask for this? No & No. Way to many electrical things talk to other electrical things up stream and down stream from each other. Instead of building a better transmission or cooling fan controler GM thought this was a better use of new vehicle development funds.:hissy:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
No thats by design, all GM cars will kill the DRL and AHL functions with the parking brake on even just 1 click (so the light comes on). Both my 02 and 08 are this way and all the GM fullsize, crossovers, and cars I drove last summer did this.
PAblzr, thats interesting as my 08 does not do this IIRC and Im pretty sure my 02 didnt (have had DRL/AHL killed for a few years with HIDs so cant test). Ill test my SS this weekend and report back.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ScarabEpic22

Just to clarify. By "ease the p-brake down" I meant let it down until the brake warning light in the instrument cluster goes off - in reality I have released the parking brake and am re-applying it while preventing the truck from moving with the hydraulic brakes.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
when not in gear and bright out the lights should be off and pnce in gear the DRL's kick in...

at night or when dark when u start the vehicle regardless of gear it is suppose to turn on... think i'll do a little test for ya later on..

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not. Not that it was any inconvenience I had just always forgot to ask. Thanks for the heads up that I have a normal Trailblazer. :laugh:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not. Not that it was any inconvenience I had just always forgot to ask. Thanks for the heads up that I have a normal Trailblazer. :laugh:
lol its the same as when i noticed that if u leave ur wipers on for a certain amount of time (depending on what speed) that the head lights would go to full power and when u turn off the wipers the lights would go back to its previous state... i knew they had that in the 08 silverado i had but was surprised its on my 03 also lol

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
This has changed from year to year. My 2002 keeps the lights off with the park brake pulled up a click, a friend's 2003 does not do this, they come on and only way to turn off is manually with the switch. Also in 2003 they added the auto lights OFF position to the headlight switch which 2002 does not have. 2005-06 or so they made it so the headlights don't come on until you put it in gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts