Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 04 TB I6 LS for about a year and a half. On two seperate occasions the headlights have died while driving and I have been forced to use the highbeams. Since it is almost impossible to duplicate it is unlikely I will be able to troubleshoot the problem, although my gut is telling me it has something to do with the DRL relay and the dash sensor malfunctioning since the highbeams work. But was wondering if anybody else has ever had this happen???

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
I've seen this issue recently somewhere else in here. Have you tried searching yet? I don't remember if a solution was found. I'm sure someone will remember it.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
mine did that twice on random occasions when I was running HID's.. but hasnt happened again.

I couldnt find anything wrong :confused:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
the low beams and high beams have separate relays.
the left and right hand low beams also have different fuses for each.

But in your case--- locate the position of the low beam relay...
and locate the relay for the fan clutch.
They use the same part #.

Become familiar with how to remove the top to the fuse panel in the engine bay.

Next time this happens- pop the hood-
and either reseat the relay for the low beams--- OR SWAP the relays- see if the lights come back on..
If they do- then you either have a bad connection- or a failing relay.
Swapping the relay for the fan clutch is assuming youll be doing some light driving-- or highway and not some heavy duty work that requires the fan to come on... (so whatch the themp).

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
the low beams and high beams have separate relays.
the left and right hand low beams also have different fuses for each.

But in your case--- locate the position of the low beam relay...
and locate the relay for the fan clutch.
They use the same part #.

Become familiar with how to remove the top to the fuse panel in the engine bay.

Next time this happens- pop the hood-
and either reseat the relay for the low beams--- OR SWAP the relays- see if the lights come back on..
If they do- then you either have a bad connection- or a failing relay.
Swapping the relay for the fan clutch is assuming youll be doing some light driving-- or highway and not some heavy duty work that requires the fan to come on... (so whatch the themp).
This is good advise, but these relays are cheap. I'd buy one and change it. The problem should go away.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
.. I had the same issue happen to my 02 TB with the headlights. There was a recall done on them actually about three years ago. The same week I received the recall letter my pass side headlight went out and then the driver's side a short time after that. I replaced them with Silverstars and upgraded the bulb pigtail connectors.... no issues since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
.. I had the same issue happen to my 02 TB with the headlights. There was a recall done on them actually about three years ago. The same week I received the recall letter my pass side headlight went out and then the driver's side a short time after that. I replaced them with Silverstars and upgraded the bulb pigtail connectors.... no issues since.
Hello,

I am having the same problem... Where did you get the bulb pig tail connectors? And do you have the part number? Thanks for your time. Have a good one.
Mike

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
Mike,

I picked up the pigtails at advanced auto parts. You can also find them at pepboys, or autozone. Also you will need some wire connectors. Be sure the piggatils are heavy duty rated. You will notice that the wires on the new pigtails will be a higher gauge(wider wires). It will take you a short time to replace them and the result will be worth it. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Headlights going out

Hi,
I have the same problem with mine, sometimes when I am driving at night, the low beams will go out and I have to switch to high beams for awhile and then the low beams will come back on after awhile. Could it be the relay problem or does it sound like a short somewhere?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If it's both lamps at the same time, it could be a flaky relay or relay socket. Try interchanging relays 45 and 46. One's for the low beams, and the other's for the fan clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Headlights

Thanks Roadie, I will give that a try, just a little leary swapping out with the fan clutch though, live in Arizona and the heat has been overn 110 everyday, don't want to overheat lol. But will give it a try when the lights go out again.

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts