Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am off work today so I thought I would make some progress.

I read all the warnings about installs in the headlights. I read about the potential bits in the headlights. I knew the risks. I have done headlight installs before....no problem!

Well let me tell you.....HEED THE WARNINGS!

First off, these are the oddest designed headlights I have ever seen :yes:

The black casing is about 1/4 inch from the actual inner lens. This was problem #1. Everything drilled easily enough. Once I got to the inner lens, there was a little dust on the outside of the drill. The hole was done, and then I discovered the reality of the epic failure :eek:

All the white dust is on the INSIDE of the lenses.

The hole was drilled with a shop vac pulling through the hole from the turn signal light hole, but it did not help.

Any ideas how to get the darned dust out of there without breaking the headlights apart?

:worried:

Chris

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
98 Posts
With the light bulbs removed, couldnt you rinse it with some soapy water then vinager. Then a final rinse with alcohol to remove all traces of water. Should work :m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
If you do go with the water method i would use only luke warm water and dont put alcohol or anything else in there besides water. Also pour it in slowly. The reflective silver backing that is coated on the plastic behind the bulb is very thin almost like the aluminum foil they build the walls of the space station out of. It will come off very easily and then you are stuck with buying a whole new headlight assembly. Sorry it happened Chris. Let me know if ya need anything.

Brian

·
Registered
160 Posts
i had the same disaster only a little worse. when i did mine, i drilled the hole, no biggie then i use a blow gun to get the dust out. didnt get it all but its not bad now. anyway i put the strobe in and i drill 2 pilot holes for the screws to hold the bulb in. well i put the screw in and crack the chrome inside the light. ok now im pissed. so for the next light i get a little bigger drill bit. try it again. put the screws in and crack the chrome in the 2nd light. oh well!!!!! someday i'll buy another set because i want to paint them anyway

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i had the same disaster only a little worse. when i did mine, i drilled the hole, no biggie then i use a blow gun to get the dust out. didnt get it all but its not bad now. anyway i put the strobe in and i drill 2 pilot holes for the screws to hold the bulb in. well i put the screw in and crack the chrome inside the light. ok now im pissed. so for the next light i get a little bigger drill bit. try it again. put the screws in and crack the chrome in the 2nd light. oh well!!!!! someday i'll buy another set because i want to paint them anyway
Thanks for the info. The strobes I have to put in are the grommet type, so I would ot have to drill the holes. I will try an air gun to try to get the crap out of there. I am not holding out hope of a good recovery, but we will see.

Chris

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
wash it out....then air dry it......use a hair dryer if necessary.....

that's how i got some of mine out

·
Registered
2008 chevy
49 Posts
your gonna have water spots if you put water in there, that sucks what kind of hole saw did you use? ive never had this problem before, maybe to fine of a tooth on the hole saw?

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
Sorry Chris, I hate to say that you are going to have to crack them open. I had the exact same problem, it was a disaster.

And its an SOB to get those things open, but I did it and cleaned mine out.

The only other thing you should take into account is that you will probably have to reseal them a few times, you'll see which one and in what area the first time it rains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts