Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 04 Trailblazer LS, 4.2L 4WD.

Around September 2004, I replaced the stock headlights with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs...

Ever since then, every 4-6 months one of my headlights burns out. Then within 2-4 weeks later, the other side burns out.

I've spent $300-$400 on headlights since I put the Silverstars in. I am fed up with it and going to put my stock bulbs back in that came with the car.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues similar, everything else on my TB is awesome, I love my car and have never had any serious problems with it. But this headlight thing is driving me freaking crazy. I want to keep nice lights in it but I'm tired of wasting my money.... I've never had any wiring problems, i have an aftermarket sub and amp hooked up to the stereo but since I've had to replace the deck and put the stock stereo back in as my navigation system went tits up. But nothing has ever affected the headlights...

I'm just really really confused, can anyone help? Thanks!!!
:confused: :confused:
:bonk: :duh:

:thx

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
1,069 Posts
If you do a quick search on silverstars you will see that most people stay away from them due to that exact problem. Most of us have gone with the HID kits. You figure an HID kit for lows is about 140$ and way brighter and last longer. I had my first HIDs for about a year and then one of my fog lights burnt out, but it was the wiring right at the bulb. I do have silverstars in my high beams and I rarely use them.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Everybody has different opinions with the SilverStars. Before I went to HID's, mine lasted a little over a year, but I have had the DRL killer since a week after I've owned the TB.

If you don't have a DRL killer, the lights in the TB aren't going to last forever. Unless you disable them, the headlights are on 24/7 (70% with the DRL's, but ON none the less).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats interesting about the lights being on all the time, i never thought about that... But its also weird because my Pops has an 08 Avalanche and a 05 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax, which he has Silverstars in both, both original sets of bulbs he put in them and he drives a lot and never had any issues..

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
1,069 Posts
I had silverstars in my 03 Malibu that I drove ALOT. I was on the road for work and used my car. So they were on at least 4 hours a day if not longer. I went through maybe one set per year. PLUS I transferred them to my Rainier. So I am not sure how old the highs are in there since they were from the Malibu.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thats interesting about the lights being on all the time, i never thought about that... But its also weird because my Pops has an 08 Avalanche and a 05 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax, which he has Silverstars in both, both original sets of bulbs he put in them and he drives a lot and never had any issues..

Thanks!!
The 05 Silverado doesn't use the headlights for the DRL... They have a separate DRL bulb.

i think you can get hid kit for about 200.00
HID kit prices vary by vendor. 3Bspec.com has them for around $110-115 after the TrailVoy08 Discount.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
Silverstars last on average 1 yr (per their website).

Now take into consideration that TB's use the low beams as DRL's.
so like they said the bulbs are ON-- but running at 70% power.
This is done by the computer chopping the power signal in such a way that it lowers the voltage. In essence the light is flashing- but its SO fast we cant see this flashing- but we see this lower intensity output.

So that 1 yr gets cut in almost half.. 6 months sounds about right. I do about 20,000 miles a year- and mine last about that long. sometimes 7 sometimes 5.

the silverado does USE a separate bulb for DRL's.

I installed silverstars in my sisters 03 impala at about the same time I did mine.
I went thru many sets--- she sold her car 4 yrs later- and it still had those same silverstat bulbs. her DRL's were the high beams.

I like silverstars.
But I buy them on Ebay. at half the cost of the stores.
I always carry a spare pair in the back... and I always change them in pairs.
when one goes, the other one is on borrowed time.

I just replaced a pair on my sisters 08 Lucerne. they ran about 1 yr and 3 months....

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
33 Posts
Sylvania Bulbs and DRL

Hi

After having the TB less than a week, the driver side low beam went out, so I replaced it with a Sylvania xtravision 9006

Easy as could be, and works fine, but the DRL is now off on both sides.

What could have caused this? Should I leave it that way?

TIA

ed:ugh:

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
I had the silverstar problem myself. I'm putting HID's in before June, but I did the DRL killer(which you need for HID's anyway) and used a 5k non HID setup from pilot. I wouldn't be surprised if they last several years.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had the same problem with my talon with the silverstars not my choice HID's all the way but they cost alot but they are nice lights.. Go for the HID's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
I've never really had a problem with the headlights, but I also just a few months ago put in a set of Signature Series HID's and the only real problem I have is the DRL's I'm afraid it will burn my hid's out. Definitely HID's are the way to go, much brighter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts