Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Envoy has OPT7 HID headlights in them. I wired the BCM so that during the daytime, the DRLs will not cause them to flicker. Regardless, I shut them off anyway to preserve the life of the bulbs. They have worked great, no harness or relay, and seldom flicker upon startup. HOwever, tonight I had a big scare leaving the garage. :eek:

Neither low beam worked. Would not turn on with the switch or auto feature. Absolutely no sign of ignition. But everything else (including high beams, signals, fog lamps, etc.) worked normally. I checked the fuses, connections, resistors, wiring....everything was in place and looked fine. So I pulled the driver side HID out and replaced it with a normal halogen and...voila! The headlight works.

BUT oddly enough, the passenger side (which is still HID) also ignited and worked! :confused: So now we have an HID system that works but only when one of the headlight is normal halogen. What is the cause of this? Might the electrical system be too overloaded by the HID without a relay so that neither of them light up?

I've had these HIDs for 5 months without any issues until now. It has been raining a ton lately and the ballasts are exposed if that's a factor. I've put the halogens back in the car to prevent any disaster for the time being until I can solve this problem.

:D Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2006 chevy
492 Posts
My 2004 Envoy has OPT7 HID headlights in them. I wired the BCM so that during the daytime, the DRLs will not cause them to flicker. Regardless, I shut them off anyway to preserve the life of the bulbs. They have worked great, no harness or relay, and seldom flicker upon startup. HOwever, tonight I had a big scare leaving the garage. :eek:

Neither low beam worked. Would not turn on with the switch or auto feature. Absolutely no sign of ignition. But everything else (including high beams, signals, fog lamps, etc.) worked normally. I checked the fuses, connections, resistors, wiring....everything was in place and looked fine. So I pulled the driver side HID out and replaced it with a normal halogen and...voila! The headlight works.

BUT oddly enough, the passenger side (which is still HID) also ignited and worked! :confused: So now we have an HID system that works but only when one of the headlight is normal halogen. What is the cause of this? Might the electrical system be too overloaded by the HID without a relay so that neither of them light up?

I've had these HIDs for 5 months without any issues until now. It has been raining a ton lately and the ballasts are exposed if that's a factor. I've put the halogens back in the car to prevent any disaster for the time being until I can solve this problem.

:D Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!
Where did you get the kit from? Sometimes quality matters...but then again, any product we get can be a hit or miss. Get the same brand and see if it is really the brand. if so, then, get something else next time.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kit came from Amazon, and it has a ton of great reviews. The car is in a pretty warm climate so I don't think temperature is the problem. I spoke to a representative from OPT7 and they sent me a relay harness with a couple capacitors, free of charge! Said that if they don't solve the issue then it could be a defective ballast or something.

Supposedly GMC Envoy headlights don't actually provide a consistent power source, it fluctuates from 8.5V to 12V depending on the situation. DRLs aren't a problem since I shut them off anyway.

I haven't installed the relay or capacitors yet since I don't have the time but once I get them in I'll update this thread...hopefully it all works!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts