Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
485 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing that. I wonder when GM will regret shutting our platform down. There is no way in hell I would buy a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Outlook or a Tahoe/Yukon for that matter. Very overpriced and the bean counters have had their way with them.

· Registered
2005 saab envoy_sle_xl
286 Posts
God this reminded me of those pics of the last truck (the envoy denali) going down the assembly line.

Makes me almost wanna cry. So sad. These are awesome trucks. I dont care what consumer reports says :sadcry:

· Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
God this reminded me of those pics of the last truck (the envoy denali) going down the assembly line.

Makes me almost wanna cry. So sad. These are awesome trucks. I dont care what consumer reports says :sadcry:
Exactly.......I've come to the conclusion that CR should be taken with a grain of salt. In there 2002 issue they recommended the Pathfinder and didn't have nice things to say about the Envoy. Long story short, I bought a Pathfinder then the transfer case had to be replaced and the tranny was going as well. The Pathy was 4yrs old, that thing was a nightmare. Needless to say I bought the TB (what I originally wanted) and haven't looked back.

CR is so far up ToyHonda a#$ its not even funny. I have a friend who bought a brand new 2008 Accord 4cyl. Its having starting issues. Another bought a Nissan Altima coupe, the tranny went. Moral of the story, don't believe everything you read.

This just burns me.....sorry for the rant and going off topic.

· Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,149 Posts
We should contact this production company and maybe they can get us some love in a dvd version of the documentary:undecided To bad we didn't know about this while they were doing it and set up a big meet at the plant and got some HBO airtime:yes:

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
36 Posts
yeah it sucks

I don't know if I'll be able to watch it. Not because I don't have HBO, but I just don't know if I really want to relive it all again. I live about 30 min. from Moraine. My dad worked 32 years in that place and gave them his life. He was no union so they gave him a pat on the back and about enough cash to take a nice vacation. Of course he couldn't take that vacation since he had to start working a new job 2 days after he left. I worked there a couple summers as college help driving a fork lift after highschool. One summer I had the most awesome job I've ever done. When they built the massive addition on the plant for the 360 platform, I would sit around all day with 2 other people and we would wait for the next load of new model parts to arive then hand deliver them to the line. I personally delivered almost all the components to the line for the first 30 360's built. I got to watch the first one roll down the line from frame to roll test if I remember correctly it took about 3 days. It was very bittersweet to see the video of the very last one rolling off the line. Ironically they were both white. Ive been inlove with these trucks ever since. I remember seeing the first I-6 come off the truck in a big skid, and I knew I would have to get one some day. I'm sure I'll wind up buying the DVD when its available. The movie was made by a couple who live in Yellowsprings Ohio right down the road. But I guess any attention we can get is good, since Dayton is going to become a ghost town with out that plant. I remember the big car show they had 2 or 3 years ago in the parking lot. I was amazed at how many TB owners showed up just to tour the plant and show-n-shine. Some body should put together a TB show in the empty parking lot for old times sake.

· Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to purchase the DVD when its available. I've already contacted HBO and will let you guys know.

Unfortunetly it looks like im going to miss the documentary on Monday as I don't know anyone with HBO. Damn it i really wanted to see this, hence me wanting to purchase the DVD.

· Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
451 Posts
TV Review: HBO's 'The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant'

THE DOCUMENTARY "The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant"

WHEN | WHERE Monday night at 9 on HBO

REASON TO WATCH A labor documentary for Labor Day, about the last SUV off an assembly line in Ohio.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT The General Motors plant in Moraine, Ohio, just south of Dayton, once was a vast spread of bolts and metal that turned out thousands of SUVs a year and was a star producer in automotive firmament. Then came the crash of the SUV market. GM announced it would shut down the Moraine plant on Dec. 23, 2008, with the resulting loss of 2,500 assembly line jobs and 200 white collar ones. As one worker explains, "I just had this vision of this gentle dragon laying down, taking its last breath."

The film chronicles the emotions, memories, reactions, fears and foreboding of dozens of workers - fear about what's next, and longing for what's lost. There are no big surprises here - a certain degree of anger, but mostly just resignation, plus bewilderment that something so large and all-encompassing could one day simply be turned off, as if it were a lightbulb.

Some workers also angrily dispel what they say is a myth about their compensation, arguing that the greatest burden to GM is retirees - three to every active employee.

BOTTOM LINE Most of the great working-class documentaries of years past, notably Barbara Kopple's "Harlan County, USA," about a crippling Kentucky coal miners' strike in 1972, are fired with the conviction that it's the right of every working man or woman to be fairly compensated, and yet implicit in that demand is struggle - and occasionally violence. Not so with "The Last Truck": Viewers arrive after the air already has been let out of the tire. The struggle is over, and never even seemed to take place. The workers have lost, and now their future stretches before them. Filmmakers Julia Reichert and Steven Bognar do a fine job of capturing the moment - and sense of loss - but the story feels unfinished. What, in fact, happens to these people?

GRADE A-

· Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
64 Posts
just watched the show ,it broke my freakin heart. were not just losing a great truck were slowly losing our way of life .all because bean counters dont seem to be able to count any more .

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.