Discussion Starter #1
Console setup I finished yesterday..

Left side:
Motorola GTX 900mhz
Midland CB

Console:
Switchbox
FT-1900 2M
External Speaker AMP/PA (broadcasts scanner outside vehicle)
RadioShack Pro-433 Scanner
External Speakers for FT-1900 and Scanner

Right side:
Uniden Control-head for handheld digital scanner

Not pictured:
Yaesu VX-5R, windshield mounted w/ external power, speaker mic and external roof mounted dual band antenna connection

Jotto Desk is seen on the right

All of the electronics are powered by an ignition controlled relay. AKA, I leave everything in always on conditions but they only turn on when the key is turned

Still need to mount 3 more mic's, they're just kinda chillin for now.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
170 Posts
I had thought about getting this set-up so I could maintain a regular stereo deck in the dash, and incorporate some other things into the console, but I hate the idea of having to cut up the center console, as well as losing the rear HVAC.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was worried about the same when I considered this but in all honestly I hardly ever have anybody in the back and if I do, it's just to run out to eat so it's not long. Cutting up the console did take a bit of effort but I'm certainly glad I went with this otherwise I'd have equipment all over the place which wouldn't be safe for one thing and would look unorganized for another.

If you have some equipment you want mounted and have a few extra bucks to throw into a console, I'd recommend getting one of these.. and if loosing the rear HVAC is a concern I'm sure you could figure out a way to integrate it in the back of the console by cutting a mounting hole or something of that nature.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I typically do not have anyone riding in the back, ever, let alone anyone in the front. BUT... you know it's just one of those things that IF/ONCE you did it... you would need or want it there. I am quite sure that with some modification(s) the HVAC could be added in, I am a bit of a stickler.

The other issue I run into... I have always liked my vehicles to appear/remain stock, but... from a functionality standpoint... this would be a much better solution.
As for your comment about "have a few extra bucks to throw into a console"... HAHAHA... I wish I had extra money, but as most of us these days... I just barely scrape by... sacrificing necessities for wishes lol!!

I think my main concern is the desire to keep the interior remaining appearing stock...

Such a moral dilemma for me!!! :undecided

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well as a college student I can definitely understand scraping by :p

If remaining stock is a concern, I assume for resale? Just grab a used OEM console before getting an aftermarket. If you go to sell, just put the new un-cut one in.

OR better yet, get one that doesn't really match and use it to cut up keeping the matching one for resale. Just my :m2:

This is the way to go to mount stuff, I bought this one used from right here on TV. Just keep an eye out and I'm sure you could find one used ;)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,105 Posts
I need to pick up a Havis console for my truck. I am a freelance photographer in the Boston/South shore area of Massachusetts and my handheld just isn't getting the job done. I would like to mount at least 2 vehicle scanners in the console and also add switches for my lights(4 corner strobes, 2-head LED in windshield, 4-head LED stick in back window, 4 offroad roof lights). I was looking around on Craigslist and found a TB that was rolled over, and they are selling it for parts so I think I'll be contacting them to grab the center console to cut up.

I like the look of it, but I'm gonna need the armrest attachment!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well as a college student I can definitely understand scraping by :p

If remaining stock is a concern, I assume for resale? Just grab a used OEM console before getting an aftermarket. If you go to sell, just put the new un-cut one in.

OR better yet, get one that doesn't really match and use it to cut up keeping the matching one for resale. Just my :m2:

This is the way to go to mount stuff, I bought this one used from right here on TV. Just keep an eye out and I'm sure you could find one used ;)
Not REALLY for resale purposes... whenever I get a vehicle, I buy it with the intent of keeping til it dies, I wreck it, or I die lol!

I think keeping the stock look is more for my own benefit, I can't really explain it. I am a buff/whacker... but sometimes I wish to keep that secret... only sometimes though... :laugh:

·
Registered
170 Posts
You know, the more/longer I think about it... I am considering getting one of these...

Where did you purchase yours, and how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I bought it used off of here, so I did pretty darn good on the price, also came bundled with a few accessories. $249 really isn't bad though..

·
Registered
170 Posts
The more and more I think about it, I really am considering possibly trying to custom fab a center console.

Initially, I planned to install a 7" Touchscreen in the factory Double DIN slot, and tie it in with an in car computer (CarPC), but then I got thinking how much of a headache it would be trying to tie into the factory sound system, blah blah blah etc...

I then considered this Havis console, and want to mount my 7" Touchscreen in it, as well as possibly my CDM1550.

My initial intent was to keep the interior as "stock" looking as possible, then I transitioned to the Havis concept, and now possibly back to the "stock appearance".

If I went the Havis route, I was looking at potential ways to mount the touchscreen, and I thought facing straight up (standard console mount) would not be completely effective, then I saw this on Havis' site:

http://www.havis.com/products/CON_ACSY_BOX_EM_IMP_06_11-35747-61.html

This is designed to be a Console Mount for the stock stereo in the Impala. I was wondering if the Impala also had a Double DIN area for the stereo as the TB, because the touchscreen I have has a bracket meant to mount in a Double DIN space:

http://www.mo-co-so.com/Double-DIN-Lilliput-669GL-70NP-C-T-7-Touch-Screen-p/mcs-lil-669-dd.htm

If I went with the Custom Fabbed Center Console, I would modify an existing one to house the touch screen, and flatten out the front area where the 2 cupholders are, to make it easier to mount my CDM Remote Head.

Thoughts? Anyone custom fabbed anything before, and could tell me how difficult (I expect it to be quite difficult) for a newbie to car modding like me!

This is probably the ONE thing that I dislike about the TB is the center console shifter and E-Brake:hissy:. If only it was a column shifter this would make my like SO much simpler!!!!

Sorry for taking the OP's thread over:hijacked, I just figure someone here might have some input!! :hail::thx:hail:

**UPDATE** I started a new thread to try and not completely hijack the OP's thread, sorry pal!

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=84292

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
387 Posts
All sounds very interesting. Why not just use a ram mount for a laptop? As for mounting your radios how about an overhead console?

If you want take the route of making a center console, here is a tutorial.
http://www.teamlouish.com/imports.console.html

·
Registered
170 Posts
All sounds very interesting. Why not just use a ram mount for a laptop? As for mounting your radios how about an overhead console?

If you want take the route of making a center console, here is a tutorial.
http://www.teamlouish.com/imports.console.html
Porkins,

Thank you for the reply. In an attempt to not completely hijack this thread from the OP, I started a new thread, and I would love to discuss this more there:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=84292

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
307 Posts
I know that this is not the proper place to give the details, so I shall hold off and put them in the proper thread. However, I am toying with the idea of selling my TB and getting a used police Tahoe and thought I would give you guys in this thread a heads up as you would be more of the type of buyer I would try and market. If you check out my previous posts and my profile, you can get a good look at the TB from various angles inside and out. If anyone may be interested, just PM me and I will get back to you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd say get ahold of 484 above, I bet he'd take a look.

I'm toying around with that idea as well, I really want a Tahoe, I've ran out of room in my TB :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
I finally bit the bullet and bought the same console ksoldani has. In fact he does not know it yet but he will be helping with my install :yes: I bought it from the link somebody posted for strobesnmore.com. It was $263 shipped. I forgot to specify what equipment I was going to mount in it and they called me up and get the part numbers of the mounting brackets and they included them for free. I could not stand to spend an extra $100 for the armrest but I am looking around for one taken out of an old police vehicle. Mine will have mounted in it:

Yaesu FT8800 2m/70cm ham
Icom IC-2200H 2m ham
Motorola GTX 33cm ham

Possibly
Cobra CB
Feniex light/siren control or Motorola XTL5000 or Uniden BC-RH96

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I posted nearly a month ago I had ordered the console from Strobes n More. It has been nearly a month and I have not received so much as a tracking number from them. I have called several times and get the "we are closed or away from the phone" message. Anybody else ever dealt with this company?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts