Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my truck decided to leak its coolant on monday night, all my hoses seem fine. the only other option i can think of its the water pump, though i do not have the play with the fan as i have read. i got the tools needed. the only problem im having is getting or seperating the fan clutch from the pump. the tool does not seem to grasp all four screws as stated in the instructions. so my question is, is there any othe way that i can possibly remove the fan clutch from the pump without having to remove the radiator? or can i remove the water pump and fan clutch and shroud together as one piece without removing the radiator? nVehicle is an 02 tb @ 132,000 miles

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
theres quite a few threads on here on the water pump/fan clutch removal.
youll have to read them to gather hints.
some people have no trouble. others have lots of problems with the rented tool etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
water pump removal issues

Would it be possible and safe to add heat basically where the shaft and pump meet?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
I just replaced the water pump on my 04 TB. I'm not a mechanic but this is how I did it.
1. loosen the bolts holding the fan to the fan clutch.
2. I placed a wrench on the water pump pulley and rotated the pump until the wrench wedged against the crank pulley. then I was able to loosen the fan clutch assembly from the water pump shaft.
3. remove the screws from the fan shroud. remember to pop the transmission cooler lines out of the clips. work the fan shroud out about half way. pull it as straight up as possible.
4. separate the fan from the fan clutch and unscrew the clutch assembly from the water pump. you should have enough room to pull the fan clutch out between the radiator and fan shroud.
5. once the fan cluch is out remove the fan, pulley and the water pump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after quite some while, I finally got my beast going, after a pointer from a mechanic and resding the thread of which markarock posted the removal and install went fairly easy and smooth.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
17 Posts
I did mine today, took me about 3 hours (including driving to the parts store for a non-broken fan clutch tool)

I replaced the waterpump, thermostat, tensioner pulley and drive belt. I also cleaned my throttle body while i was in there.

Huge improvment in driveability, nice to not hear that "whine" on acceleration anymore

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well after quite some while, I finally got my beast going, after a pointer from a mechanic and resding the thread of which markarock posted the removal and install went fairly easy and smooth.
YOu guys...HOW IN THE HELL DID YOU GET THIS DAMN FAN NUT LOOSE!! I'm going out of my mind here. I've done it on my truck with a whack of a hammer on a cresent wrench, but on the TB the pump is shot and has coolant everywhere so it's not working here. I can't for the life of me get this damn thing to come off. The tool from Advance isn't gonna work for me (fork kind). Anybody got any tips? Right now I've got a pipe wrench on the water pump bolts and another on the fan nut. Trying to get that one to work right now. but with 165k on the car, I'm a little concerned as to how corroded those threads are. Ideas, I'm going crazy here and my wife needs her car by this weekend.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
YOu guys...HOW IN THE HELL DID YOU GET THIS DAMN FAN NUT LOOSE!! I'm going out of my mind here. I've done it on my truck with a whack of a hammer on a cresent wrench, but on the TB the pump is shot and has coolant everywhere so it's not working here. I can't for the life of me get this damn thing to come off. The tool from Advance isn't gonna work for me (fork kind). Anybody got any tips? Right now I've got a pipe wrench on the water pump bolts and another on the fan nut. Trying to get that one to work right now. but with 165k on the car, I'm a little concerned as to how corroded those threads are. Ideas, I'm going crazy here and my wife needs her car by this weekend.
So is your problem that you can't get the fan nut to break loose, or is it you can't hold the water pump bolts from turning?
Some people have loosen the water pump bolts and slid the fork wrench over the bolts and then retighten them to hold the fork wrench there.

If it's you can't break the fan nut loose - not trying to be a smart *** but are you sure your are turning the right direction? Many fan clutches are reverse threads, but from what I read the ones on the Trailvoy are normal left hand thread.
If so - do you have a pipe or something you could put on your pipe wrench for leverage? It's funny how some people say they come right off while others struggle.
Good luck. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
If you looked at the fan clutch 101 thread, you'll see the tool I made. That is half the battle. But if you are able to hold the pulley side rigid, then your problem is that your lever is not long enough on the wrench you are using on the fan clutch nut.

I used a BIG Crescent wrench, with about a 14" handle, and STILL had to gorilla it. Mine was on there TIGHT. So, get yourself a long cheater bar for the wrench that goes on the nut and it WILL come off. Guaranteed.

BUT, if you are in a hurry, and don't need the core, why not just hacksaw the water pump shaft? Simple, quick (especially if you use a Sawzalll with a hacksaw blade). Then you can work on it on your workbench. Just leave enough stub so you can REALLY crank down on it in your 6" Wilton bench vise.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, I've tried the fork wrench bolted down with the water pump bolts. There wasn't enough thread engagement for the force I was needing as I was starting to bend the bolts in their thread when I really loaded up on it. I'm unit a cresent with a 2' long pipe on it and it's still sitting there. I've also tried a pipe wrench around the water pump bolts, but I can't fit a cheater on the and of that one too because the handle is too big. Did any of you with high mileage cars do this, I'm wondering if the threaded snout is all corroded up and wondering if heating it up with a propane torch would help or hurt something.

I'd really like to find one of those tools that uses the water pump bolts/holes to attach to the water pump. I'm going crazy over here.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I did my truck with about 150k on it. And I live in the midwest where they use a lot of salt.

One member simply drilled a hole in a long piece of steel, then removed one water pump bolt and bolted it on. He said that worked. I think it might. Make sure the flat piece of steel is at least 2 feet long, and it should work.

I would not use heat from a propane torch. Too slow. Use an oxy/acetylene torch if you want to try this. Your goal is to heat the aluminum while leaving the steel underneath cold. That way the aluminum expands and the steel doesn't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just doing a little more research here and it looks like if I can get a spanner wrench, I think that would help quite a bit, right? It puts two pins in the water pump holes that way? Anybody found those at a parts store?

I'm not quite seeing how one bolt along with the steel rod woudl help. Woudn't the piece of steel have to eventually lock up to the fan nut to keep the fan from rotating?

·
Registered
721 Posts
If the steel has one hole, and the steel is long, and the steel is not tightened by the bolt but is free to move, as the pulley rotates counterclockwise, the steel will lean clockwise as the part with the hole is rotated down to the 6:00 position. Eventually, because the steel is long, it will come in contact with the water pump shaft down near the hole, and will come to rest on the inner fender panel or some other fixed object inside the engine compartment. At that point, it will not be able to turn any more, and you can put a lot of force on the nut.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great point, didn't actually notice those smaller holes till I got the pulley off. Went to a local garage here and begged them to borrow the proper tool. Got one thta was able to hold the two bolts and had the fan nut loose in about 15 seconds.

Thanks guys,
Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Done this twice on an 02 Bravada- once for the water pump ,once for the fan clutch. Loosened the water pump pulley enough to wedge a small pry bar between it and the block. Put a pipe wrench on that big nut and then 3 feet of pipe on that to get the leverage - no problem. Took me a few hours to figure it out the first time. Second time- easy money. Just watch your fan blades, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can help!

I am a mechanic and i did it more than 10 times.I'm new in the forum i dont speak english very well but i can help, first take the bar out , it has four bolts secound the grill it has clips just pull it out, and then between the condenser and bumper remove one bolt, half inch or 13, then take the bracket out which is holding the radiator, then move the condenser up a little bit then lean the radiator up front then take out the shroud with fancluch at the same time, and then you get the water pump out easy, reverse installation. Good Luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
so my truck decided to leak its coolant on monday night, all my hoses seem fine. the only other option i can think of its the water pump, though i do not have the play with the fan as i have read. i got the tools needed. the only problem im having is getting or seperating the fan clutch from the pump. the tool does not seem to grasp all four screws as stated in the instructions. so my question is, is there any othe way that i can possibly remove the fan clutch from the pump without having to remove the radiator? or can i remove the water pump and fan clutch and shroud together as one piece without removing the radiator? nVehicle is an 02 tb @ 132,000 miles
I just spent the last 3 hours trying to get the nut loose from the pulley. the loaner tools are crap and aren't long enough to get a good whack on them. Unfortunately I don't have a cheater bar or I'd prolly have it finished by now. Gonna go buy a cheater bar and try to have it done tomorrow. I think once I get that nut loose I'll be done in 15 minutes tops.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
17 Posts
I just spent the last 3 hours trying to get the nut loose from the pulley. the loaner tools are crap and aren't long enough to get a good whack on them. Unfortunately I don't have a cheater bar or I'd prolly have it finished by now. Gonna go buy a cheater bar and try to have it done tomorrow. I think once I get that nut loose I'll be done in 15 minutes tops.
I ended up using a 3 foot pry bar to wedge between the pulley bolts and the threaded shaft. then using the supplied wrench from the tool kit, and a quick bump from my palm, I had the nut off in minutes. the prybar was far easier than messing with the "wrench" thats supposed to fit over the 4 bolts and hold it..

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Strap wrench

Just got done replacing the water pump in my '02 lasted 130k miles. None of the auto parts stores had the tools to hold the pulley available for rental or to buy so I thought I was pretty much screwed. Then decided to try using a strap wrench around the pulley. Placed the strap wrench around the pulley, propped the handle under the alt. pulley and cranked on the hub nut a bit and pop it was free! 20 mins later new pump was installed and everything back together. Very easy job once you get the pulley issue under control.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts