Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys can yout tell me the best place to get a decently priced exhaust manifold that isnt a china special that will crack in a year? im getting alot of exhaust noise in the engine compartment, and my mechanic says i might need a new exhaust manifold and if that is the case id rather look for the part myself to get the best price, but i dont want to buy a crappy one either.

so yeah thanks for the help and please let me know,

TWP

P.S anyone out there done this install themselves?:confused:

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
make sure you actually need one first

i had that problem, the bolts had just gotten loose.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
2 Posts
I had this issue...I have the '03 NFace Ed. LWB w/ the 4.2 @ 65,000mi. Manifold just started making noise one day. Mr. Goodwrench said it was a cracked manifold.

It actually was cracked right at the base of the "Y" before the donut flange.

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
33 Posts
manifold replacement

If it is indeed cracked, this sounds like the perfect time to step up to a set of headers, true, they are not cheap but neither are OEM replacement manifolds. I am a guy on a tight budget, however, if you have to replace the manifold why not pick up 40-70 horsepower while you're in there.
In your profile you have listed a 4.2 ltr engine, is that the vehicle we are talking about? This is the section of the forum for 5.3 ltr V8's.
If you do have the 4.2, I don't know if headers would be available.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
In your profile you have listed a 4.2 ltr engine, is that the vehicle we are talking about? This is the section of the forum for 5.3 ltr V8's.
If you do have the 4.2, I don't know if headers would be available.
4.2l headers are availible. Look at my gallery.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
hey guys can yout tell me the best place to get a decently priced exhaust manifold that isnt a china special that will crack in a year? im getting alot of exhaust noise in the engine compartment, and my mechanic says i might need a new exhaust manifold and if that is the case id rather look for the part myself to get the best price, but i dont want to buy a crappy one either.

so yeah thanks for the help and please let me know,

TWP

P.S anyone out there done this install themselves?:confused:
i just replaced mine yesterday first time for me as well i read alot of threads on here before hand and only thing that i was scared of was breaking a bolt inside the head, seems to be a common occurance when replacing manifold. i just soaked the bolts with pb blaster overnite and when removing them i would lossen then tighten just to break off the high temp thread locker thats on the bolts. luckily they all came out without any issues. You can find used oem manifolds if you look through the classifieds. also i would reccomend replacing the old bolts with new ones from the dealership i know there almost 3 dollars a piece but might save you a headache down the road incase you ever have to replace manifold again. good luck

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
Your local junk yard will be the best bet for cheap exhaust manifolds :yes:

Edit: www.rockauto.com has a dorman replacement exhaust manifold with gasket for $125 + 25 shipping within 2-3 days

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,029 Posts
i just soaked the bolts with pb blaster overnite and when removing them i would lossen then tighten just to break off the high temp thread locker thats on the bolts. luckily they all came out without any issues.
In addition to this I noticed some aluminum dust that was left in the holes as I removed the bolts. Make sure to clean out the bolt holes with brake cleaner or compressed air to flush out all those tiny metal pieces.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
65 Posts
kind of late but I got a recall notice for the manifold in my 4.2,

The letter said to go to the dealer if I thought th manifold was noisey

so 7 years after getting the letter went to dealer and they said they replace the manifold for free under warranty recall program ...

it only took them a few hours to exchange it :yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts