Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I have a 2002 GMC Envoy SLE 4x4 with about 80,000 miles. I have been averaging about 11 mpg and was wondering if anyone would have some tips/tricks or easy fixes to help improve the miles per gallon. Have been considering trading SUV for smaller car because I am now driving about 90 miles per day taking my son to and from school for his special needs. But I would miss my SUV, I love it except for the sucky mpgs. Any info-help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and take care,
Beth

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
Well i would start with running a bottle of techron through your gas, maybe do some seafoam, new spark plugs will help, clean the throttle body, and you can also get a tune from pcmforless. They are running a deal this weekend. You'll get better mpg's and get more power with a tune.

Any questions let us know.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
Well i would start with running a bottle of techron through your gas, maybe do some seafoam, new spark plugs will help, clean the throttle body, and you can also get a tune from pcmforless. They are running a deal this weekend. You'll get better mpg's and get more power with a tune.

Any questions let us know.
:iagree:
exactly what i did made it feel like a whole new truck :woot:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Also, replace your upstream oxygen sensor when you get new spark plugs, stick with AC Delco spark plugs, clean your throttle body and have your exhaust backpressure tested for a plugged cat.

11 mpg is NOT normal. On the highway at reasonable speeds, you should be able to double that.

The nice thing about these trucks is that the things that go wrong tend to be pretty predictable, and this forum is a great source of information.

Follow the advice of the great folks in here and we'll get that mileage up for you.

Always start with the cheap and easy stuff, and start with the regular maintenance stuff that needs doing soon anyway, (spark plugs, fuel filter, fluid changes) and do the stuff that is not listed in the manual but we can tell from experience that you should do (throttle body cleaning, new O2 sensor.)

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
where can i find info on the PCMforless deal this weekend
in the supporting vendors forum just go to the thread about Labor Day sale and click on their website id.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I have a 2002 GMC Envoy SLE 4x4 with about 80,000 miles. I have been averaging about 11 mpg and was wondering if anyone would have some tips/tricks or easy fixes to help improve the miles per gallon. Have been considering trading SUV for smaller car because I am now driving about 90 miles per day taking my son to and from school for his special needs. But I would miss my SUV, I love it except for the sucky mpgs. Any info-help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and take care,
Beth
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat .Changing to synthetic oil should help some.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
11MPG pretty low

:tiphat Welcome to TrailVoy.com :tiphat Need to get new plugs ,clean thottle body ,seafoam to clean the injectors ,air filter to start.
Springbuck:cool:

·
Registered
2002 gmc
829 Posts
:tiphat Welcome to TrailVoy.com :tiphat Need to get new plugs ,clean thottle body ,seafoam to clean the injectors ,air filter to start.
Springbuck:cool:
+1 ^^^ i avg. 16-17 mpg city and 21-23 hwy on 22"s and i do have a PCM4less tune:thumbsup: GL...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts

Thanks and take care,
Beth

Something you might want to check into - I believe there is a recall or a TSB about the gas tank leaking fuel around the fuel pump/gauge assembly. It is for people who live in certain areas. This has been mentioned quite a few times on this site - do a search.

As for your current MPG that is a little low, but not unheard of. I've seen that when I'm doing a lot of sitting in traffic.

According to the EPA your vehicle should get about 14 city, and 19 highway.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
Remember that "highway" means a steady speed driving on a highway or freeway - like a long trip. Driving for a few miles on a highway and stopping doesn't count.

Are you figuring your gas mileage by hand or by the Driver Information Center?

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I agree with everyone so far. Right now i'm getting ~20 MPG combined city and highway and with a factory tune.

As suggested before, do the following

-Spark Plugs (AC Delco Iridium highest recommended)
-Clean your TB thoroughly by taking it off and using elbow grease-DISCONNECT BATTERY FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES
-Synthetic Oil will help greatly if you mostly do stop/go traffic
-Change your fuel filter
-Check and/or replace your air filter
-Seafoam. Techron will help but I have found seafoam to be more beneficial when a can is added to the tank. Use half a can through a vacuum line (brake booster)

If the methods above don't help much, then go with replacing the upstream oxygen sensor. The above are maintenance items and should be done anyway, except for the oil change. Also, a big factor in MPG's is the way you drive. Accelerating slowly but reasonably makes a huge difference in how much gas your truck consumes. Having a lighter foot and anticipating stops will only benefit you. I use to have a heavy foot and saw 13 mpg both high way and city.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
My two cents. I was replacing the front brake pads and the clips that hold the pads in place were rusted out. Got the hardware kit and installed the clips, but than the pads would not move in and out from the rotor at all without a lot of force. so I took all the clips out, everything moved freely, and put it back together. I thought it would be noisy, but I needed it for work.

What happened was no noise of any kind, and a gain of 2 mpg measured by the built in computer thingy!!! As you said, 65,000 on my 2005 tb/lt 4x4 it was time for brake pads. Got lucky I guess. Who knows it cost nothing and may work for you.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Figure this out! 12.2/23.7 and I do most town driving and when I do highway I go 80!
:eek: Definitely weird. My worst mileage occurs when I drive city and I'm loaded with all my tools. I also have the 3.42 gearing and it is great once I get it rolling and the cruise on.

I wonder if you are loading up rich at the lower RPM's :undecided I can attest that when the thermostat is on the verge of going out (but not ready to throw the code until after you waste about $500 on fuel:bonk:) it will hurt your city mileage while only moderately affecting the highway mileage. :undecided

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
361 Posts
Figure this out! 12.2/23.7 and I do most town driving and when I do highway I go 80!
That's almost exactly what I get. I have noticed that my best hwy mpg comes from cruising between 65 -75 on regular gas. My poor city is mostly due to a lot of stop and go and my foot.:D No one thing will cause your mileage to sky rocket but each improvement mentioned will cause an improvement. Also do you have a 3.42 or 3.73 rear end. A 3.73 is not going to do as well unless your carrying a lot of weight or towing. Then a 3.73 will do better.

Welcome.......
From Virginia Beach

1 - 20 of 26 Posts