Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed an oil dip stick O-ring ASAP so went to the dealer. Well, had already researched and had a number for the O-ring. Was told that I could not get the O-ring without buying the whole tube and a new tube is $113.

I have them the number I had for the O-ring and they looked it up and had one in stock......$20
Sleeve Fluid Gesture Drinkware Font

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're a purist , maybe ... ;)
No, just could not find local elsewhere. Even gave the number to NAPA, AutoZone, and Advance auto. None had one local for me to get the job done. Was not sure of using standard butile O-rings.

·
Administrator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
538 Posts
No, just could not find local elsewhere. Even gave the number to NAPA, AutoZone, and Advance auto. None had one local for me to get the job done. Was not sure of using standard butile O-rings.
I've been running a butyl o ring in my bikes fuel valve . It's been it there for about 4 years and is still functioning flawlessly .
I'd think that if it'll stand up to gasoline , it sure would to oil .
IIRC , it cost me about 54 cents at O'Reillys . And , I thought that was a huge ripoff . ;)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, I had looked up the specs on the butyl O-ring. They gave temps in C I thought it was F. Didn't dawn on me how low a temp that was. Been rough getting the oil pan out to change the pickup tube o-ring. Whos bright idea was it to run a axle shaft through the oil pan.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
110 Posts
Understandable
For Future reference duct tape wrapped around tube and handle would have be suffice till O-ring shipped
It`s Not under any pressure so oil would be fine just dirt getting in might be an issue hence the tape

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
.... in fact - if the PCV is working correctly --- it'll be a vacuum there anyway. <hadda get my "dig" in there>

But I bought a huge collection of O-rings at Harbor Fright and they have served me well - and I went and checked the size in the assortment I have and there was one that fit - imagine that!

O-rings --- like bearings --- are a standardized system and if a manufacturer wants to put O-rings or bearings on something, THEY have to comply with the industrial standard, not the other way around.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.... in fact - if the PCV is working correctly --- it'll be a vacuum there anyway. <hadda get my "dig" in there>

But I bought a huge collection of O-rings at Harbor Fright and they have served me well - and I went and checked the size in the assortment I have and there was one that fit - imagine that!

O-rings --- like bearings --- are a standardized system and if a manufacturer wants to put O-rings or bearings on something, THEY have to comply with the industrial standard, not the other way around.
I have a assortment of o rings just early morning and what I read/misread had me thinking that they would not survive in this application. Hence the different material used by the manufacturer. So, was wrong, oh well, you live and learn

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle
32 Posts
re..$20 O ring, Always do the multi pack O rings.
I needed a couple screws for the dash on an Astro van, was informed that it was an order only item, bag of 50, don't like dealing with dealers.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I needed a couple screws for the dash on an Astro van, was informed that it was an order only item, bag of 50, don't like dealing with dealers.
I deal with dealers as little as possible as well. Needed this on the road quick and I thought maybe this was a special compound like viton. I have a couple different packs of o-ring assortments. Have way too many things going in my life right now to be down waiting for parts. As it was vehicle was torn down doing a oil pan drop for 2 weeks while I was out of town.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I needed a bolt for the swing axle on a Poulon ATV.
The dealer said it was ... IIRC ... somewhat over $30.00, but I had to buy 50 of them.
The bendable lockwasher was like $9.50 but I had to buy 100 of them.

I told the two clowns behind the counter to take my picture with their phone and have it enlarged to lifesize and put it on the wall.
"Why would we wanna do that?"
"You're gonna miss me 'cause I'm never gonna be in this store again "

1 - 13 of 13 Posts