Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying new shocks soon, and was wondering if anyone has tried the Monroe Reflex shocks as replacements. I have used Monroe products in the past with good results, but this will be the first time I have replaced shocks on the TB.

Just looking for some feedback on the Monroes.....

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to seel Monroe shocks, and I have used them on several other vehicles, but not on the TB yet. It seems like most of the posters on other threads are digging the Bilsteins, but I never really cared for their factory shocks on the old S-10s.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,034 Posts
never hurts to try them you can just take them back but i don't think you will there are some of the best

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... I never really cared for their factory shocks on the old S-10s.
We don't like the OEM Bilsteins either. They sell the reputation of their good name to GM with their cheap-ass OEM shocks. I swapped mine for the aftermarket Bilsteins before I hit 10,000 miles and I should have done the swap on Day 1.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We don't like the OEM Bilsteins either. They sell the reputation of their good name to GM with their cheap-ass OEM shocks. I swapped mine for the aftermarket Bilsteins before I hit 10,000 miles and I should have done the swap on Day 1.

Yeah, I have run into a lot of that...where good name brands are slapped on OEM stuff to impress buyers. So, what do you think about Monroes, roadie? Do you have any experience with them?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
So, what do you think about Monroes, roadie? Do you have any experience with them?
Nope, sorry. OEM Bilsteins to aftermarket Bilsteins soon to be aftermarket Icon Dynamics coilovers (formerly Donahoe Racing) in the front. In the rear OEM Bilsteins to aftermarket gas Bilsteins to lengthened BDS hydraulics to lengthened BDS gas pressurized.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Somebody either here or on another board installed them a while back (over a year) and liked them. I seem to recall they gave a very good ride, he seemed to think slightly less harsh than HD Bilsteins but *much* better than stock.

Just a FYI, Monroe and Gabriel are basically the same company now. One bought the other one out a couple of years back.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Monroe Reflex and Rancho RSX are identical. Search for some of the posts on the Rancho RSX shock.

I like them a lot, but then again, I like my suspension soft and my shocks stiff. (I come from BMWs, so I want good cornering capability.) On my wife's Blazer, they are a bit harsh; on my Trailblazer I think they are perfect.

But if you are seeking a super cushy ride, they may not be for you.

Good shocks and good tires contribute more to the 'feel' of your vehicle than almost anything else you can install.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monroe Reflex and Rancho RSX are identical. Search for some of the posts on the Rancho RSX shock.

I like them a lot, but then again, I like my suspension soft and my shocks stiff. (I come from BMWs, so I want good cornering capability.) On my wife's Blazer, they are a bit harsh; on my Trailblazer I think they are perfect.

But if you are seeking a super cushy ride, they may not be for you.

Good shocks and good tires contribute more to the 'feel' of your vehicle than almost anything else you can install.
"Cushy" is definitely NOT what I'm looking for. I would like something a litttle firmer than stock, with a little better handling. I have noticed a major degradation in ride over the last 70k miles, and I would like to return the TB to the well-handling, good riding machine it was when I bought it 3 yrs ago...

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
"Cushy" is definitely NOT what I'm looking for. I would like something a litttle firmer than stock, with a little better handling. I have noticed a major degradation in ride over the last 70k miles, and I would like to return the TB to the well-handling, good riding machine it was when I bought it 3 yrs ago...
you have to remember that reflex offers a firm ride when needed, otherwise the ride is nice and soft. what i mean is that it hardens with sudden impacts or load situations. and during normal riding you get a comfortable ride.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you have to remember that reflex offers a firm ride when needed, otherwise the ride is nice and soft. what i mean is that it hardens with sudden impacts or load situations. and during normal riding you get a comfortable ride.

Yes, and that pretty much sums up the ride I am looking for. I was just wondering if anybody had actually used the Monroes and what they thought of them. Anybody?
:)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
In that case, I think you will like them a lot. Whether you get Monroe Reflex or Rancho RSX, you will end up with a much more controlled ride, a bit of stiffness in normal driving and a fair bit of firmness when you need it most.

The reason I think it works great on the Trailblazer is that GM designed these SUVs to have a max lean of 5 degrees in cornering, so the basics are there; you just need to firm up the shocks a bit. I have always found GMs to be a bit 'under-shocked' and I am VERY picky about shocks, so an endorsement from me is a pretty good thing.

(In my other life, I am a firearms editor and automotive writer for a national police magazine, so I can appreciate a well-handling vehicle.)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
I've just done a rather extensive search, but cannot find a part number for a Monroe Reflex front shock for a 2003 Envoy. It doesn't appear that they currently make a front shock for our application.

Are you sure they make one for your application? Do you have a Monroe part number?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've just done a rather extensive search, but cannot find a part number for a Monroe Reflex front shock for a 2003 Envoy. It doesn't appear that they currently make a front shock for our application.

Are you sure they make one for your application? Do you have a Monroe part number?

Thanks.

Mark
Per Monroe's website http://catalog.tenneco.com/monroe/eCatalog.do

Front Reflex shocks for my 2002 TB: 931341

As for your 2003 Envoy...I checked all models for it, 2wd, 4wd, XL...they all show to take the same shock as the TB on the front...p# 931341

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
What is the difference between the Monroe Sensa-Trac and the Reflex shock? (Other than about 10.00) :D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Even knowing it was there I had a difficult time finding it. Got to the listing for a Rear Coil Spring Suspension or a Rear Air Spring Suspension and stopped, concluding, obviously erroneously, that they didn't have anything for the front end. Doh! My wife says I can look but not see, and I'm beginning to suspect she might be right.

Thanks!!

One other question. Does anybody know whether it is necessary or worth replacing the "Strut-Mate Bearing Plate #904968"? This part number contains two pieces, the metal piece with the two studs that fits to the top of the shock and bolts to the truck at the top, and what looks to be a rubber spring pad/cushion that goes between the top of the spring and this plate.

Mark

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is the difference between the Monroe Sensa-Trac and the Reflex shock? (Other than about 10.00) :D
As I understand it...and this is from the mouth of a Monroe rep, back when I was in auto oparts sales, when they introduced the Reflex line of shocks....The Reflex shock combines the valve from the Sensatrac with the larger tube size of the heavy-duty Magnum shock. Back in the day, when they rolled out the sensatrac, it had a unique valving system that allowed it to react quicker and differently, depending on what the vehicle was experiencing. So, lets say you are just cruising down the highway on a fairly smooth road. The valve is allowing the shock to travel smoothly...I don't know the specifics of shock technology, but I suspect the valve is more closed in this setting, allowing the shock to utilize the hydraulic aspect of its design. Then lets say you turn off the highway into a parking lot, and encounter a speedbump. When the valve senses a sharp increase in pressure, the valve opens quickly, allowing the shock to compress much more and let the coil spring do it's job. Thats my feeble attempt at describing how shocks work...I'm no expert. But, I do know that the Reflex has a bigger tube than the Sensatrac, which makes it a little more heavy-duty and more suited for trucks and SUVs like ours.

Monroe used to make a Reflex coil-over shock...I installed these on the rear of a 1977 Dodge Extended Van once, with AWESOME results!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
I'm running the Monroe Reflex shocks on the back of my 03 TB.

They do as superman ^^^^ says...

A couple of things...

1) I REALLY like the way they work. The first week, I almost thought that I wasted my money -- they rode like they were solid steel, and not shocks -- but after a week or so, they smoothed out a TON and now ride firm, but nice.

2) I am on my second set. Both of the first pair developped an oil leak out of the top seal. I have no idea why, as they are good shocks from a reputable maker, and I've not had that problem before until the shocks were WAY out of date. This happened within 6 months.

I'm sticking on the replacement set tonight -- they were free, under warranty. I'll see how they work out with time.

3) Aside from the leak issue, I'd do it again.

FWIW, my kiddo owns an off-road shop. I have access to a ton of different shock absorbers and have run or seen run a bunch of different brands, including Bilsteins, KYB, Monroe, Sway-A-Way, King, Rancho, Pro-Comp BDS (both the same as Rancho -- often even the same part #), and others. I like the "serious" Bilsteins, but the price is out of my league. I chose the Monroe's because they were Ranchos under the skin, and less $$$.

Shock Part # 911241 -- available from NAPA if no where else.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally! A report from someone who ACTUALLY HAS Monroes! Thanks, buddy!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts