Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I'm in the process of rebuilding my I-6 4200 engine in my 2003 Trailblazer, and out of several things that really irritated me, one of them was getting that darn harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) off!!!

If you have to deal with this issue, you probably know there's very little clearance between the pulley and the engine front plate, and getting a three-jaw puller to stay on there is just about impossible.

You might also have found that GM (and Haynes) calls for a special GM puller tool that looks like a socket you twist onto the pulley arms to remove. Sadly, that tool costs about $400, and was out of stock everywhere I looked at the time of writing.

I put in hours of effort with a 3, 5, and 7 ton three-jaw puller, heat (heat gun, torch, AND induction heater!) and several variations of zip ties, hose clamps, sockets, bolts, and all sorts of stuff in my efforts to get that pulley off.

Finally, thanks to a video a friend found on Youtube, I was introduced to a tool made by OTC, part #6667. It's a 3-jaw puller made especially for this type of pulley (is compatible with several other makes/models), and fits perfectly.

:woohoo:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts