Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back i got a code of 1441 was told by the dealer it was the perg vent valve ,After a few days the light went off and i went about my merry way .A few weeks later got the service engine ligt again and ignored it days later turned off again on its own. Now its back on has been for about a week.The new trouble i see when i refuel no matter what the level of the tank is it wont start without tapping the gas peddle a hair or two. After it starts its running supper rough until i get down the road a hundred yards or so then its fine.Starts like a charm everytime UNTIL i get gas again.Maybe there is another new code i havent checked at this point.Isee someone else posted the exact same prob with no replies.I would rather try and fix this prob myself then paying the dealer.You guys on this site have come through for me on SEVERAL diff probs over the past years and saved me alot of $$$$ ..Thanks

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
just throwing ideas...
next time you gas up and you expect this to happen...
before you start...

turn the key to the start position- this is to let the fuel pump run to presurize the lines. then turn off. then turn to start again and repeat...
do it about 4 or 5 times..
then try to start the vehicle. see if it starts up right away.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill give that a try.That wont be till next week since i filled it today from getting tired of this happening everytime.Ive also tried leaving it running while getting gas.All i have seen is it start running rough then shut off.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
50 Posts
I'm having this same problem with my truck. No code related to it though. I had cleaned the throttlebody a few weeks ago to clear out a p0106 code and its been going on ever since. I rechecked everything I did with the throttlebody work, seeing if I knocked something loose but it all looks OK. I thought maybe I was letting the tank get too low, so I even got gas with a 1/2 tank left and samething happened. I did the thing with turning the key off and on to repressurize the lines, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I've even just taken my gas cap off at random to see if its a pressure issue once the cap is taken off and that didn't affect it. I just did seafoam through the vaccuum line and dumped the other half in the tank, hoping maybe there's a peice of debri somewhere getting stirred around when I get gas. My next step is to replace the fuel filter, I'm really really hoping its not the fuel pump making a slow failure on me.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
There was a great write up on here last week about changin the fuel filter....do a search and check it out it may be of some use.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My TB was doing the same thing. I am leaning more towards the Fuel pump. I have replaced the Fuel Filter already not long ago and it still did same thing.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Ill give that a try.That wont be till next week since i filled it today from getting tired of this happening everytime.Ive also tried leaving it running while getting gas.All i have seen is it start running rough then shut off.
In theory all you should need to do is remove the cap, wait 2-3 min. and put the cap back on and see if it is hard to start. I doubt if it the addition of fuel but the removal of the cap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i was hoping somebody on here was having a smiliar problem and did a fuel filter swap. now i know, i think i'm gonna lean towards the pump also. i definitely think i'm going to change it before it tells me when to do it. i always like the odds in my favor when the tank is empty and i have the time set to do it. has anyone on here ever used an autozone pump? i read a lot of people use the dealer ones, just curious. i get a good discount at autozone is why i'm askin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
has anyone else on here with this problem had it happen after cleaning out their throttle body? i know a lot of people suggest that to fix problems with map sensor codes and rough idle. i'm just curious because this started on my truck just a few days after i did mine. just wondering if maybe some of the throttle body cleaner could have been left behind somewhere and sucked into the fuel pressure regulator. just trying to exhaust all options before buying a fuel pump. 365 at autozone and 460 at the dealer....ouch

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm in the process of diagnosing this problem a little more with my neighbor's father who is a really good mechanic. He went into some big explanation about the evap system and charcoal canister being part of the problem with this hard start after refueling. Basically, all he had me do was pull off my gas cap and drive around til the light came on which took about 50-60 miles and a few days of cold starts. I got fuel after the light came on with about a quarter tank left, put the gas cap back on and it started right up. No sputtering, no cold crank, just fired right up. He said by doing this it was allowing the system to purge itself. The light should go out on its own and that should be it. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens next, but if you're having this problem. I'd try it so far it seems to be working. Oh, and while the gas cap was off there was one time where I was at an idle for about 15 minutes and out of nowhere the truck started idling all over the place. It did that for about 5 minutes or so and then leveled out and has been fine since. I'm pretty sure he said that was fumes purging themselves out of the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
A few months back i got a code of 1441 was told by the dealer it was the perg vent valve ,After a few days the light went off and i went about my merry way .A few weeks later got the service engine ligt again and ignored it days later turned off again on its own. Now its back on has been for about a week.The new trouble i see when i refuel no matter what the level of the tank is it wont start without tapping the gas peddle a hair or two. After it starts its running supper rough until i get down the road a hundred yards or so then its fine.Starts like a charm everytime UNTIL i get gas again.Maybe there is another new code i havent checked at this point.Isee someone else posted the exact same prob with no replies.I would rather try and fix this prob myself then paying the dealer.You guys on this site have come through for me on SEVERAL diff probs over the past years and saved me alot of $$$$ ..Thanks
I had this exact same problem on my 04 colorado, it wound up being a faulty fule line between the fill valve and the tank. It had a pinhole in it that only caused problems after I filled the tank because of the sudden pressure difference. Dealership covered it under warranty, and no charge to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
well, i've given it awhile because i didn't want to make another post with false hopes, but the truck is cured. simply driving around for a few days with the gas cap off purged the fuel system and cleaned out the charcoal canister. my neighbor's dad who is a mechanic explained everything to me and it actually sounded a lot like what had happened with my '01 explorer. i used to top the tank off too far in that truck and wound up getting gas into my charcoal canister too often, which ruined it and a few other things on the fuel side at the same time. he said after a heavy fillup i somehow probably sloshed gas into the canister screwing with the fuel system. if you're having this problem, give it a shot....it costs nothing so you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i started having problems with the truck at refuel again. about a week later, the truck came up with tighten fuel cap on the driver information center. i rechecked the cap and it went away. last week, it did it again and i checked the cap but it didn't go away. i replaced the gascap with one from autozone. about 20 miles after replacing the gascap, my check engine light came on. i went to autozone and it read a p0455 i believe. gas cap error, vacuum error, or emissions error. i wound up checking on here for the code and i saw people either had to replace the purge vent solenoid or canister vent valve. i pulled both and checked for function with 12v from the battery and the purge vent solenoid was not operating. 34.00 at the dealer and it was fixed. a slightly bad gas cap was probably letting extra fumes out during normal operation of the truck, but when i fueled up the truck probably got bound up with fuel fumes from the vent not operating and that is why it was not starting properly only at refuel. even though your fuel cap may not be bad and throwing a code, you could try replacing it with a new one or if you know someone else with a trailblazer, swap them caps for a few days and see if your truck throws any codes.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Evaporative Emission Vent Selenoid

I had identical problems with my '04 Blazer and the check engine light appeared within a few days of the issue with a rough start/idle after refueling. It only lasts about a minute, then all is well. The diag code was PO496. My mechanic replaced the Evaporative Emission Vent Selenoid and everything has worked flawlessly since then. I didn't ask him where the part was located, but I believe it was in the engine bay as he did not charge any labor for the change and he didn't drop the gas tank. The part was only about $40. BTW, without the fix, the vehicle would not pass NC inspection.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Hard start after refuel

After continuing to have the hard start after refuel problem, here is where we are at:
1) We have replaced the fuel pump per suggestion from dealer - didn't fix the issue
2) Cleaned the throttle body - didn't fix the issue
3) Had dealer do throttle body and other cleaning per suggestion from dealer - didn't fix the issue
4) Replaced the fuel cap - didn't fix the issue
5) Tried the driving around for 50 miles without fuel cap before refuel - didn't fix the issue
6) I don't want to go back to the dealer since I'm broke and the issue still isn't resolved.

Every time we refuel, the vehicle doesn't want to start without us pressing the accelerator, then rough idle for about a 30 seconds until we get going again.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
14 Posts
I have been having same issue for quite some time on my wifes 05 TB. I am just now doing more research and have come down to replacing one of two solenoids. 1) EVAP purge valve control solenoid, located on drivers side of engine block. 2) EVAP vent/control solenoid, located at the fuel lines around the fuel tank. I have also replaced the fuel cap with a dealer item quite a while ago with no fix.
I have been having codes of PO496 and PO455. I have found both of these solenoids on line at GM Parts center.net for around $50.00 or so for both. I will be replacing both solenoids soon for that price and will let you know how it turns out. More to follow!

·
Registered
14 Posts
"UPDATE"
OK, I replaced both valves that I talked about earlier. PN#12597567 and PN# 25950499. I ordered them on line and the total for both was around $65.00. Not a bad price to find out if this takes care of the problem or not.
So I found out that they did in fact fix the problem I was having with not properly starting after refueling. There have been no more codes and there is no longer an embarrased wife at the gas station cranking the car over waiting for it to start. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
3 Posts
Won't Start

This is my first time here and I'm praying that someone can help. My wife was driving her 2006 tb when all of a sudden it cut off. She restarted it with no problem, drove to a gas station, put gas in and drove it home. After she told me what happen ,I went to start it, but it would'nt start. That's been over a month ago. I check to see if it was getting fire at each ignition and to the p.c.m. and it was, check fuel pressure at crank (60 psi). I replaced the spark plugs, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor and M.A.P. sensor. A friend of the family, (who's a mechanic) told me to change the E.C.T sensor, but for some reason I just don't feel like thats the problem, plus I tired of wasting money. Can someone please help!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first thought would be the fuel pump given the cicumstances, but since you have 60 PSI during a pressure check, I guess we can rule that one out.
Do you have any codes showing up during all of this? If so, what are they?
The E.C.T. sensor your talking about, is this the engine coolant temp sensor? Not quite sure why this would be an issue for not starting.
This would be a difficult one for sure since we dont know if there are any codes showing up during all of this.
It sounds somewhat similar to what our TB was doing during refueling, but ours always re started after cranking for a few seconds or more.
Need more info on this before making a better guess, I guess?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts