Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had an axle seal leak over the summer. It was leaving a puddle in my driveway. Had a new seal and axle installed. Didn't drive it much after, and then two weeks later, I see drops in my driveway. Keeping an eye on it every few days, I started to see oil around the drain plug and on the differential casing.

Took it back to mechanic and he thought it was just residual fluid from the last leak or maybe the drain plug gasket, which he replaced. He also said he cleaned the underbody with brake fluid and he claimed it wasn't the axle seal leaking again.

A few days later after picking it up from him, I have what you see in the pictures. It's clearly NOT leaking from the drain plug and the axle has a slight glaze of oil on it. I think my mechanic is so busy he didn't really take the time.

It seems to be a leak that only happens after driving for a while. And it takes about a week to even drip down to the driveway. But I'm at a loss here.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dayum!

I'm not reading that mess.

Pretty pictures though.
Sheesh. I've seen you respond to worse. (But it was not ideal, I'll agree).

As for Paul's question, it's pretty much impossible to figure out a leak like that via pictures. Sure, the 4th one looks like CV halfshaft seal.

Pics 4 & 5 suggest a leak up above someplace, and that would most likely be engine oil. (And leaking shaft seals can do plenty of slinging around, but that's not what it looks like. Once again, hard to eyeball just from pics though).

You need a new mechanic, Paul. The reason you need a new mechanic is that you have a leak...of something...somewhere...To just brush it off. Yeah. Maybe he's just too busy. Ask around for a locally owned shop with a good rep.

(And if you want a decent reply from Ravalli Surfer - which wouldn't hurt... go back and edit your reply to make it easier to read. Honestly. Go look at it. If you're trying to understand a total stranger's issues by internet text, do you want to try to plow through one gigantic block of text devoid of breaks? It's hard to read. Gives the old folks a headache, myself included).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

As for Paul's question, it's pretty much impossible to figure out a leak like that via pictures. Sure, the 4th one looks like CV halfshaft seal. Except that in the first one (with the leaked glob there next to the CV boot) it looks caramel in color - a.k.a. engine oil. If we're looking at a problematic halfshaft seal it should be red/pink.

Get it to where it's dripping. Put something white and plastic under to catch the drips. What color is it?

Pics 4 & 5 suggest a leak up above someplace, and that would most likely be engine oil. (And leaking shaft seals can do plenty of slinging around, but that's not what it looks like. Once again, hard to eyeball just from pics though).

You need a new mechanic, Paul. The reason you need a new mechanic is that you have a leak...of something...somewhere...To just brush it off. Yeah. Maybe he's just too busy. Ask around for a locally owned shop with a good rep.

(And if you want a decent reply from Ravalli Surfer - which wouldn't hurt... go back and edit your reply to make it easier to read. Honestly. Go look at it. If you're trying to understand a total stranger's issues by internet text, do you want to try to plow through one gigantic block of text devoid of breaks? It's hard to read. Gives the old folks a headache, myself included).

Thank you for the response. I'll try to be shorter next time, maybe use bullet points.

As for Paul's question, it's pretty much impossible to figure out a leak like that via pictures. Sure, the 4th one looks like CV halfshaft seal. Except that in the first one (with the leaked glob there next to the CV boot) it looks caramel in color - a.k.a. engine oil. If we're looking at a problematic halfshaft seal it should be red/pink.

Get it to where it's dripping. Put something white and plastic under to catch the drips. What color is it?

Thank you for the response. The post has since been edited.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Tread

I have determined my axles seal is leaking again after being replaced. I went back through some old pics to investigate.

This is what the housing looked like when the mechanic removed the seal. A different mechanic who couldn't get the axle off before him, chewed up the housing trying to get it off.

Do you think these nicks are enough to cause a new seal to leak? I.e. do I even bother trying to get a new seal put in or just live with it?

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
View attachment 60203

Do you think these nicks are enough to cause a new seal to leak? I.e. do I even bother trying to get a new seal put in or just live with it?

From what I can see --- it should be OK with a little gorilla snot on it. I've seen much-o MUCH worse.

Font Rectangle Event Service Magenta

GORILLA SNOT, FYI.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
119 Posts
View attachment 60203

From what I can see --- it should be OK with a little gorilla snot on it. I've seen much-o MUCH worse.

View attachment 60209

GORILLA SNOT, FYI.
That 'gorilla snot' pic flashed me back to when a friend called from out in the sticks with a blown water pump on a Sunday afternoon.

Drove out there and he was in the parking lot of one of those combo liquor/grocery/convenience stores.

He already had the water pump on location when I got there - but no tools.

A little Basin/Tub/Tire Sealant and voila! No leaks - and I was able to resume my nap.

Ah, the good old days when water pumps were a fast fix.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
I worked next to a guy who believed that if he could squirt one more tube of silicon into the leak, it would quit.

Every engine he worked on required at least 6 tubes of silicon gasket maker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts