Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buddy with an expedition Tahoe headed out to the George Washington National Forest this past weekend. This particular trail is one of my favorites I've ever ran. This is actually my 4th time to the top of flagpole, but every time it gets better and better.

The trail itself is just perfect as well. It offers a challenge, while not being so challenging that you're likely to break something.

3 hour drive to the trail head:

Rock ledges

Overgrown trails

The stone house... rumor has it that it was built by a deserter from one of the wars. I can't remember which, but I believe it was the Civil war.

Stop for lunch at meadow knob:

Nothings better than some good brats out in the middle of nowhere.

More rocks:

A hill climb where a Jeep was having some issues. We waited, and he eventually made it up.

Flagpole Knob... you guys from TECORE probably remember this place:

The view was just amazing. The nearest homes are about 20 miles away.

This tree must have been ancient, it was about 8 feet in diameter.

One last muddy stretch before heading home:

This provided some interesting challenges... as you can see, the mud was extremely sticky and thus, quite slippery...

Headin home.

This is the same general area that we will be traveling and camping on for the first night of TECORE II...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
27 Posts
I have been camping on the West Virginia side of Flagpole. The trail I took was nothing but gravel road off the the right of the trail that you are on. Awesome place. About 30 minutes from where I go to college.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that the Tahoe guy from ExPo?
Yeppers. We realized we lived only 20 minutes apart.

I have been camping on the West Virginia side of Flagpole. The trail I took was nothing but gravel road off the the right of the trail that you are on.
Do you know the FS road number? I looked on my maps, and I don't see any roads that are too close. The closest would be down by one of the reservoirs in the valley below, does that sound accurate?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No pics of the abandoned Heep?
For those of you out of the loop here, there was a nice looking trail-ready Jeep liberty (lifted, mud terrains, ARB bumper, etc) along the trail that had apparently lost traction during the section below, and had slid sideways about 15 feet off the side of the trail.

Sorry, no pictures, but it appeared that he had come down this same set of rocks below, and had picked up enough momentum to throw himself sideways and off the trail. It was resting against the side of a tree, which presumably kept him from going the rest of the way down the mountain (we are on the ridge during this portion of the trail). I guess he didn't have the proper recovery equipment and decided to abandon his vehicle.

It's hard to get a good perspective of the slope here, I think that's because the picture was taken from below.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
326 Posts
Looks like quite the little trip! Both vehicles are very nice!!! I have followed the build on that tahoe very closley over at ExPo, it seems as though you two have built similar rigs, with pretty close to the same options on different platforms, to cool!!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
26 Posts
kind of an odd observation - in the second pic the tahoe's snorkel is on the drivers side, in the rest itson the passengers side? lol

Looks like a fun trip non the less!
EK

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats what i figured but i just thought i would ask! lol i also noticed it after i posted! thought maybe he designed some snap on side to side snorkel system or something!
Ek:duh:
Funny, I noticed that the winch cable was snapped on the other side... but figured John had just swapped sides sometime during the trip.

Now I remember... I took that picture in my driver side rear view mirror and just zoomed in a good bit... that's why its mirrored, just like the picture above it! :rotfl:

·
Northeast Chapter
1,502 Posts
Well done my friend. I had to look close at the trucks to tell which was the Tahoe and which was yours...lol. I do remember Flagpole knob. View WAS gorgeous! Can't wait!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts