Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of putting a gun rack inside my trailblazer...

would like it mounted behind the back seats directly or on the sides(running side by side with the rear passenger windows)

firearms go with me quite a bit and i would really prefer to keep them in a rack.

legality wise it is okay...

does anybody know of manufacturers making any?

or what it would take to make one otherwise...

i havent really looked in the back to see what it would take.

if it makes any difference...longest firearm i have is my 870,coming out at 48 inches OAL

and the shortest i have is my ruger 10/22 @ 26 inches OAL,however with stock unfolded it is 38 inches

its something i would really like to get/do

:thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
As far as the legal aspect, most states don't specify on long barrel weapons. The ones that do usually require you to have them unloaded while on the rack, and that is just a precautionary measure for officer safety. There are some states such as Montana and Wyoming where you see more vehicles with gun racks then without, where they dont care and you are free to carry it as you wish. Whether it be a floor mount or a cage mount or a roof mount. I know that Kentucky is one of those states that if it is mounted in a rack it must be secure to the rack where the weapon can't be removed by a bump in the road or something. It must also be unloaded unless you posses a CCDW. The best way to find out about the specifics is to contact your local state police post or sheriffs office. For cross state boarders, you might check out this site...

http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

How this info helps.:tiphat

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really liking that rack.

legality wise i am ok,i dont transport loaded long guns in the vehicle anyways(the farthest ill go is magazine loaded with empty chamber,and thats only on private property)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
What im going to do for my AR and shotty is make a rack in the rear cargo area or behind the passenger seat for easy and instant access. Maybe put something metal in the seat to support a rifle and shotty?? :undecided

Also what I'm going to do is put above where i drive in my TB on the headliner, is make a holster that will have one of my other loaded handguns sitting there "just in case" :D but i also gotta think of how to make the gun easily detachable in a second's notice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually i was thinkin..

a vertical gun rack...in between the sidewall and the drivers seat...is there enough room to fit a muzzle down single firearm rack there?

im sure it would be custom

just for spoilers...here is my ruger 10/22

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
44 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
love the ruger...

even with the factory taper barrel,it can shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards all day.

my next 10/22 is going to be a pure target rifle

evolution stock...bull barrel...tony kidd trigger group,nikon scope...

im a big gun guy

what about an interior roof gun rack,anybody know people making those for the TV?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
44 Posts
Yes, the point is the airbag. Pointed up, or down...not sure how you derived that from my post. Anyways, the weapon should be unloaded.

Here's a roof option: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005330220670a.shtml
Google turned up quite a few results. I think the roof rack may be the best solution in helping to keep the rifle(s) out of sight, but keep it legal.

Hmm...I've not taken the headliner off in my vehicle, but a search on the site might result in some photographs. You may be able to see if mounting the rack to a crossbar is an option, or if you would have to mount it to/through the roof.

Post some pictures of the process when you're done.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Yes, the point is the airbag. Pointed up, or down...not sure how you derived that from my post. Anyways, the weapon should be unloaded.

Here's a roof option: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005330220670a.shtml
Google turned up quite a few results. I think the roof rack may be the best solution in helping to keep the rifle(s) out of sight, but keep it legal.

Hmm...I've not taken the headliner off in my vehicle, but a search on the site might result in some photographs. You may be able to see if mounting the rack to a crossbar is an option, or if you would have to mount it to/through the roof.

Post some pictures of the process when you're done.
Yeas what you posted is exactly what i want for my handguns i want to keep one or two loaded up above me in my TB just to have whenever thatn you it gave me some more ideas :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
13 Posts
Legality

I suppose it would be useful if out on a hunting trip. However please bear in mind that state laws vary greatly and gun laws are state specific, meaning that a license to possess a weapon in one state is NOT valid in another state.

For example in NJ and other more restrictive gun law states, an exposed gun rack with any kind of firearm (including long guns) mounted on it in your car could get you in serious trouble. NJ for example requires all firearms to be transported in locked gun boxes or in locked trunks that are inaccessible from the inside of the car.

Good luck with the project and post pictures when you build it, but please just keep borders in mind if you do. There was a pretty bad case here about a guy driving through from Texas that wound up staying in NJ rather than just passing through because he didn't think about the laws in other states.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have long guns yet but I do have ccw and I am wondering if anyone here carry a gun inside their vehicle. I would like to install a gun magnet mount and I would like to know other feedback if it really secures the gun into place without falling off. There is this Gun Magnets For Car 2020-2021 | Best 7 Gun Magnets | MOTORING CRUNCH I'd like to purchase but I would like to get some recommendations which gun magnet to buy.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mount them where you want and just stay outta blue or purple states.

Here - we can carry concealed all the time - in cars, on college campuses, downtown, restaurants with alcohol served, inside/outside of town --- city parks are yet a gray-zone - awaiting further info on that. .

It used to be anyone in Montana could CCW as long as it wasn't in city limits or a gold mine operation - I have no reason for that latter though. You can OPEN CARRY all you wanted - but CCW was needed to be in possession of a special permit inside those certain zones.

To get a CCW permit (a "must issue" state) --- your DD/214 was proof enough of firearm training, ala: military.

That --- with a set of fingerprints and $30.00 and wait a couple of weeks and you USED to be set.

However that rule recently changed.

Now - with constitutional carry in place - anyone can go anywhere but into federally-owned buildings while OPEN or CCW.

Any time I'm going fishing, actually fishing or returning from fishing, driving, walking, biking, I'm carrying a Glock 20.4 (10mm). I am dead-afraid of bears - having had 4 extremely close bear encounters up to this point.

I can drive in my car - CCW - on person - under coat/shirt/whatever - on school grounds, courthouses* ... pretty much anywhere but a federal building.
I can have mags as big as I can hold - drums are even OK.​
I'm looking for a belt-conversion for a Glock..... jk!​

I sneak up on trout - therefore I also sneak up on bears. A black bear will let you watch as it eats your liver.

* - the presiding judge in a courthouse can restrict or deny access with a firearm - but it's an individual-judge call just for that particular situation.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That's quotable material right there... 🤣
.... just don't experience it.

If it's any consellation, if you are being chased by a bear and you climb a tree --- and the bear comes up after you --- THEN eats your liver ---- it wasn't a Grizzly Bear.

Grizzly Bears can't climb trees - but black bears can --- and IF a blackie chases you - it's to eat you.

Black bears can sprint up to 45 MPH and a Grizzly can keep running at that speed for a long ---- long time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts