Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. This past friday my rear diff gave out. I believe my axle bound and then busted it also f...ed up my newly rebuilt tranny. I only have reverse and 2nd. Also my rear is locked meaning when i turn i get chatter and the inner tire skids. Weird though when i go around a corner and shift to neutral it stops. Anyway...i was wondering if i find a gt4 g80 from another vehicle other than a tb would it work? If not could i just swap the internals? Yeah another tranny rebuild orrrr maybe i'll throw in a t56 6 speed.....i wish. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
chevy
1,091 Posts
:iagree:

Unless you're like me and like to poke around with axle internals, just swap it.

If you DO want to replace your internals... I have a set of gently used 3.73 (GT4) gears that will fit your axle. :) You'll probably need to get a carrier too, but they are a dime a dozen for 8.6's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey so you're the guy steve was talking about. How much for the gears. I haven't worked on axles before. pretty much everything else though. My rack and pinion are good. I took some photos but cant upload yet. Not sure what they are called but the rings with teeth that mess together inside the diff are all messed up. One ring snapped in half and two others have most of the teeth chewed up. the carrier is basically the shell right? I recently moved and dont know where my wife put my tb books... do you know how to remove the diff? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Banned
chevy
1,091 Posts
the roadie said:
Six hard hours for two old guys.
Fixed. :D

Replacing diff guts is definitely a process. It requires some precision measuring tools as well, although I was able to get them inexpensively at the local Harbor Freight. I had to install my 8.6 as soon as I got it so I could get to work. Later I swapped the gears/locker with the axle in the truck.

Biggest advantage of doing it yourself is a little cost savings and the ability to choose something other than the G80 for a locker. I wasn't able to source a scrap yard G80 rear axle in my old ratio (4.10) for less than $700... so it was a no brainer for me.

My gears are in the classifieds on here. PM me if you decide you want them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I found one for $150 but I thought I'd give this a shot first. We all got to start somewhere...not knowing anything to begin with. I spent about $200 for the full TB service manual and cant seem to find them...two volumes. Gotta love pictures...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts