Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Does anyone know how to disable the horn when locking the vehicle?
I've tried the hitting the lock/unlock buttons at the same time , doesn't work
Vehicle doesnt have the DIC option
Thanks Wayne

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,193 Posts
I'm trying to remember the process -- I've added the horn for mine to work in the way about which you are complaining.

I think this is it ---->

1. Press both the lock and unlock buttons on your remote for two seconds.
  2. Watch for the hazard lights to flash three times.
  3. Lock the doors and confirm that the horn does not sound.

· Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,439 Posts
Find an owner's manual online and the process to shut the horn off will be detailed in there. Google is your friend in this case.

Reactions: wpth1234_9118

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,193 Posts
I don't have the DIC system and using the fobs has always worked for me ---
.................and I just went out and switched the horns ON and OFF again with the fob ----
.........................are you following the instructions?

1. Press both the lock and unlock buttons on your remote for two seconds, not for more than that!
  2. Watch for the hazard lights to flash three times.
  3. Lock the doors and confirm that the horn does not sound.

· Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
524 Posts
Why do the neighbors factor in to this? Is it an obnoxiously loud horn? Are you hitting the lock multiple times? Is this happening at all hours of the day and night? Or are they just busybodies with nothing better to do?

I looked up the 2008 manual online and did not see anything about doing this without using the DIC. Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find it.

I'd do what @Ravalli Surfer said.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do the neighbors factor in to this? Is it an obnoxiously loud horn? Are you hitting the lock multiple times? Is this happening at all hours of the day and night? Or are they just busybodies with nothing better to do?

I looked up the 2008 manual online and did not see anything about doing this without using the DIC. Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find it.

I'd do what @Ravalli Surfer said.
live in apartment complex,remote start have to hit lock button 3 times to start, I too looked up in my manual to no end result thanks for the attempt :)

· Premium Member
524 Posts
I think with certain remote start kits you can program it to remove the chirp when locking. Mine honks the horn in 3 short bursts when I hit my aftermarket remote start as a confirmation it received the request. Then the truck starts. Your neighbors might have to just get over it.

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,163 Posts
If you disconnected the line from the BCM to the horn circuit it would still work with the horn button on the steering wheel but the car alarm could not blow the horn if the car was being broken into/stolen/etc.

Otherwise you would need to see if a reprogramming of the BCM is possible to eliminate the horn from the lock feedback.

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,163 Posts
Thanks to all that have responded.I've yet figured it out, The remote manufacture people said its a vehicle issue? I actually pm;s GMC but not holding my breath

I may be that a dealer or other facility that has the ability to reprogram the BCM might be the answer.

· Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
Oddly, if I use my remote start to lock/unlock, horn doesn't blow. If I use GM fob to unlock and remote to lock or vice versa, the horn will sound. If you didn't install the remote start yourself, I would say talk to the installer.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,193 Posts
Oddly, if I use my remote start to lock/unlock, horn doesn't blow. If I use GM fob to unlock and remote to lock or vice versa, the horn will sound. If you didn't install the remote start yourself, I would say talk to the installer.
Now ---> I'm totally confused.

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Mine does something similar. If I lock or unlock with the GM fob, the lights flash and the horn chirps twice for unlock and oncefor lock. With my remote start, unlocking the car gets lights to flash and 2 horn chirps. Locking only gets 1 chirp and no flash.

· Registered
2 Posts
Don't do anything drastic like removing parts on the vehicle, etc. Check your personal settings on the steering wheel switches first.

You will find options to turn off/on for locking and unlocking where you can enable the lights to momentarily flash and the horn to give a short beep. I have my 2003 SLE set up to flash the lights on the first press of the key fob and if I quickly press it twice, it will also do the horn. I do it this way so that if I'm at home I press only once and watch for the lights. If in bright sunlight, in places like a shopping mall or a parking lot, I press twice and listen for horn. If either indication is not functioning, it may be that one of the doors is not fully latched.

~doug

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Don't do anything drastic like removing parts on the vehicle, etc. Check your personal settings on the steering wheel switches first.

You will find options to turn off/on for locking and unlocking where you can enable the lights to momentarily flash and the horn to give a short beep. I have my 2003 SLE set up to flash the lights on the first press of the key fob and if I quickly press it twice, it will also do the horn. I do it this way so that if I'm at home I press only once and watch for the lights. If in bright sunlight, in places like a shopping mall or a parking lot, I press twice and listen for horn. If either indication is not functioning, it may be that one of the doors is not fully latched.

~doug
OP mentioned earlier that his vehicle doesn't have the DIC, so the switches for this don't work. This method will not work for OP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts