Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have noticed a Groaning / Rumbling sound coming from the dash after turning off my A/C. My wife said it almost sounded like a large bee or something was in there buzzing around. Well I wish it was so once it died all would be fine :) but the sound seems to be getting worse and more frequent. Almost like the vent motors are struggling to open and close. A/C still works in all positions, just makes that strange noise once you turn the A/C off for about 5 to 6 seconds then no more.

Anyone every run across this before?

thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I can turn the fan off and on no problem with the engine running or not.

The basic symptom is lets say I am sitting in the car in my driveway with the motor running and A/C going and the fan on 2 or 3 and I will turn the fan to 0 and with in a few seconds the buzzing groaning sound starts from the dash with in 2 to 3 sec. and then goes away after about 5 to 6 seconds. Then I switch the fan back on again and let it run for about 20 sec and shut the fan off and the noise comes back for 5 to 6 sec and then all is silent.. just the sound of the engine running.

Hope that makes sense, thanks for your help.

-Dan

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I would guess bad bearing in the blower motor, making noises only at certain RPMs. But I've heard a lot of bearings and don't have the benefit of hearing yours. Take out the passenger side closeout panel and the glovebox and listen closely. If you remove the blower motor (2-3 bolts) you should be able to spin the fan by hand or put on some jumper wires and see it. Careful - many motors like this have a high start-up torque and it might twist out of your hand when powered up.

Or you might find a mouse skeleton in the impeller. :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny you should say that, we did have a mouse that made it's home in the glovebox for a while this winter.. chewed up some napkins, pee'd on my maps and left some droppings :)

How do I get to the impeller exactly?

thanks,
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts