Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all,

i have an intense grinding noise coming from the front right of the vehicle, only when turning right and going slow. i'm thinking this could be the brakes, they need to be changed soon. can anyone add some input/advice on this?

thanks,
quiz

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Usually, if the noise intensifies when turning right, it is a bad left wheel bearing. More noise turning left indicates a bad right wheel bearing. :m2:

·
Premium Member
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
123 Posts
The grinding noise isn't good...

First of all, try and do some troubleshooting yourself...

Does the noise occur during braking? If so it could be a seized caliper or in need of brakes and rotors.

Does the vehicle pull hard in one direction during heavy braking? See above.

Does the noise occur when turning one way or the other? Go to a large parking lot, open your windows and make some low speed turns in a circle in both directions. Wheel bearings usually will make themselves known.

Do you have mudflaps? Check to see that they haven't come loose and are contacting the tire in tight turns.

Is there any vibration in the steering wheel while travelling in a straight line on the highway? Might indicate a inner or outer tierod.

Tobruk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, try and do some troubleshooting yourself...

Does the noise occur during braking? If so it could be a seized caliper or in need of brakes and rotors.

Does the vehicle pull hard in one direction during heavy braking? See above.

Does the noise occur when turning one way or the other? Go to a large parking lot, open your windows and make some low speed turns in a circle in both directions. Wheel bearings usually will make themselves known.

Do you have mudflaps? Check to see that they haven't come loose and are contacting the tire in tight turns.

Is there any vibration in the steering wheel while travelling in a straight line on the highway? Might indicate a inner or outer tierod.

Tobruk
i thought it was the wheel bearing. what made me suspicious was that i had just changed both within the past year.

more "symptoms": pulsating grinding noise when turning sharply to the right at LOW speeds. vibrations of sorts when traveling at HIGH speeds and veering to the left.

i've determined that the problem must be the CV shaft. sound about right?

thanks

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
698 Posts
CV problems will often be more of a loud click-click sound. Also, wheels turned in reverse will also be louder with a binding feel too, if it's a CV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CV problems will often be more of a loud click-click sound.
when turning? that's a more accurate description (a click-clicking rather than a grinding).

any comment on a vibration when moving at faster speeds and veering to the left?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
all,

i have an intense grinding noise coming from the front right of the vehicle, only when turning right and going slow. i'm thinking this could be the brakes,
I think your right. Brakes.

As others have suggested, get the wheel off and inspect the pads and rotors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think your right. Brakes.

As others have suggested, get the wheel off and inspect the pads and rotors.
do you think the sounds i described could be caused by the rear brakes? they seem to be bad but the front pads/rotors are in good condition.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Your going to need help.

Have someone drive and stop the truck, in the driveway, while you stand outside and listen.

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
698 Posts
when turning? that's a more accurate description (a click-clicking rather than a grinding).

any comment on a vibration when moving at faster speeds and veering to the left?
Yes, when turning. You can also get a vibration from a right cv when turning to the left. Similar to a wheel bearing that way. I think you have a bad cv.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts