Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to this but I have a 2004 gmc envoy and I have a loud grinding (errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound) coming from behind the center of the dash. It will start when on ACC and restart on startup then stop, then start. This happens 3 times with the second time being louder and higher pitched. This happens for approx. a minute then stops. But will happen everytime i turn off the car and turn it back on. Both heater and A/C work fine and same with defrost, the noise doesnt change when heater or A/C are on, sounds like it goes through a cycle. It sounds like the recirc actuator but a lot faster with 3 stages and the second being higher pitched
Its gotten really annoying,
Thank you
Btw i brought it to royfoss and they quoted me on a new blower motor but all fan speeds and everything works without any noise, so it couldnt be the blower motor could it?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sounds like to me one of the actuators is getting ready to go. The most common one to fail is the mode door actuator. The blower motor is behind the glove box so I doubt that is what you are hearing.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like to me one of the actuators is getting ready to go. The most common one to fail is the mode door actuator. The blower motor is behind the glove box so I doubt that is what you are hearing.
Thanks, Yea i have a feeling its one of the actuators, i'm going to see if i can take apart my dash and find exactly where its coming from, its just a lot of work

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
No need to take it apart. Get under the dash on the drivers side, pull the bottom panel and the air duct (very easy), and look up and you will see all three actuators. When it is making the noise feel each actuator and see which one is making noise.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No need to take it apart. Get under the dash on the drivers side, pull the bottom panel and the air duct (very easy), and look up and you will see all three actuators. When it is making the noise feel each actuator and see which one is making noise.
I opened up the drivers bottom panel and the air duct today and the sound isnt coming from the actuators, its coming from behind the digital air condition controls closer to the driver somewhere, its really a pain in the ass to get in there so im debating whether i should just bring it in to the dealer and get a price quote for repairs, i would tear apart everything and get to the bottom of the noise but spare time has been a rare occasion for me lately :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts