Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello trailvoy squad I'm thinking about purchasing a 2005 Denali XLT with 5.3ltr V8 for $300 the body and interior are in excellent condition no rust major dents or damage on the exterior the interior is pristine but the vehicle needs engine & trans! I have my own mechanic who's more than capable but I'm wondering if this engine is as good or reliable as my 2003 Envoy XLT 4.2inline 6 is! My 03' has over 287,000 miles and is solid except an upper intake gasket leak and a camshaft position sensor needing replacing but it's been a heck of a work horse, but was wondering if the Denali I'm thinking about is just as reliable or maintenance friendly? The AWD system is another concern for me as well because I know they can be troublesome? Any advice about this purchase would be helpful!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,112 Posts
Personally, if I were having to pay someone else to do the work I wouldn't even consider it.

That's "just me" though!!

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT
278 Posts
Because? Do or did you own 1 for you to say that? Just want to know your personal experience.
Ive had my trailblazer for 8 years. I hope I have it another 8 years. Its been the best vehichle ive ever had.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
21 Posts
If you think u can do all the work yourself, otherwise be prepared to pay. I would say atleast $6000 for motor and tranny swap. I paid $2000 for my a newer used tranny when mine went, over 3 years ago. And before that I replaced a motor in a different vehicle and that cost $4000. Also depending on how long its been sitting other parts could be bad now.
But I'm not going to discourage you from getting it. Mabey you could use it as a parts vehicle for the one you got. As a lot of parts are the same, like the wheels.
Or you could let us know where it is so one of us could use a parts vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
You could go to edmunds.com and input the vehicle data as it is -- with inoperative stuff to see that it is worth.

Then do it again with all the inoperative stuff fixed to see what that is worth..

Compare the numbers. If the delta is less than the estimated cost of repairs, it's probably not a good deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking for input from a 5.3v8 owner or someone very familiar with this particular engine! I have the 4.2inline v6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts