Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MIO version 3 GPS unit and have been very happy with it except for the glass mount. It comes with a permanent mount but I cant think of anywhere where this would work. So, I'm asking all you all where you have yours mounted? The dimension are 3 1/2 inches tall by 4 inches wide. Was thinking about somewhere near the center air vents but it doesnt look very CLEAN when I hold it up there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
not sure how it would look... i dont have a tape measure and my truck handy, but what about just above the cluster to the left, tucked in by the a-pillar?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is where i have it mounted now and just not happy with the look plus it really decreases my field of view at intersections. :no:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
ahhh, how much would change when switching from the window mount to the dash mount? you could always just get rid of the center vents altogether and create a custom panel, haha. i considered something like this, then money ran out for a while. sorry im no help.

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
328 Posts
Mounted mine by sticking the GPS mount over the tachometer. Who drives by the tach anyhow? Tach was a nice waste of money by GM designers.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
I used the windshield mount too but it was a bit of a stretch to the window, plus I don't like ANYTHING in my line of vision.

I tried the Arkon vent mount and it works very well. It is a nice tight fit and it seems the slat spacing on our Trailblazers is perfect for this mount. (You need to play with the mount arm spacing a bit and rotate the arms or the mounting base a bit to get it to fit but here is what i did for my Garmin:

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
I have (had) a nuvi then I fried it. But when it was working I mounted it up by the rear view mirror as high as I could. didn't get in the way. I figured since I was use to looking up in the rear view mirror area it would more natural that way. Instead of deviding your attention between out front, rear view mirror, left and right mirrors, then adding a diferent location for a gps.

just my :m2:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the windshield mount too but it was a bit of a stretch to the window, plus I don't like ANYTHING in my line of vision.

I tried the Arkon vent mount and it works very well. It is a nice tight fit and it seems the slat spacing on our Trailblazers is perfect for this mount. (You need to play with the mount arm spacing a bit and rotate the arms or the mounting base a bit to get it to fit but here is what i did for my Garmin:
I like this idea. Was this a mount that you just customized or was sit something you bought pre-made?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I like this idea. Was this a mount that you just customized or was sit something you bought pre-made?
It is a regular production item. I found lots of sources for Arkon mounts on the internet.

Here is where I got mine in Canada:http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/arkon-mounts/nuvi-vent-mount.html

Arkon makes a mount for the Mio Series 300 (MM329-ST,) but I am not familiar enough with the Mio to be able to say if this will work for you. Here is the installation manual:
http://www.arkon.com/manuals/MM329-ST.pdf

Note that I flipped the bottom bracket to fit the Trailblazer vent better. It fits with a tight fit in between the horizontal slats at the bottom with a bit of a press.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Old thread new tricks

I always mount my GPS's to the right of the mirror and tap into the mirror/lighting power. I used to have a focus and it was perfect as the lighting power would shut off to the wire about 1min after the car shutoff and so would the GPS. This is what I plan to do with the trailblazer. The one thing that I have found out was though, is some of these direct wire GPS adapters make the GPS not work as the GPS detects the direct wire power adapter as a data device with some models. The wiring is different. I even had a problem powering the Garmin GPS that I had with a standard usb cable and cigs lighter USB adapter.

I usually just splice in a cig lighter adapter and plug the thing in, I then zip tie or secure the socket into the plug. You have to make sure to secure the socket and plug combination too or it may rattle around if you do not.

Anyone know what wires I should be looking at. I plan to take a multimeter out and look for a similar wire setup.

I use splice connectors to do the job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts