Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was disconnecting my negative battery terminal and my wrench accidentally bumped the positive terminal on the fuse box. It made a rather large spark and charred my wrench. Should it be doing this when nothing's on inside?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I let it sit while I did something and then I reconnected everything and now I have no electrical components working. What happened? Did I really mess something up?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that big or is this something I can fix easily?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Is that big or is this something I can fix easily?
Huh? I gave you a picture. I gave you its name. It's a FUSE, for crying out loud. You check fuses with a meter.

You can search here on the word "megafuse" and even get its part number, but most parts stores don't carry them. Some marine parts stores do. Dealers do. You might be screwed until Monday.

If you hit the wrong place with that wrench, you could have spiked voltage backwards through your PCM and blown out a few hundred dollars worth of stuff. That's why the advice ALWAYS is to remove the negative terminal of the battery, so the wrench doesn't short out the battery if it hits the engine compartment, which is mostly all grounded or painted. I don't think I've ever heard of somebody hitting a fuse block terminal with their wrench, but there's always a first time.

But if you're an audio kind of guy, working on your battery, please don't ask us how to work on a fuse.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was disconnecting the negative and I was just wondering if the fuse was expensive. I looked and it's no big deal but my lights don't work either, my turn signals, gauges, and digital odometer read out do work.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
IIRC, they're $10-15. Sorry we were harsh, but I had to tell a noob to step away from working on his brakes last month after one too many questions that showed a lack of understanding. A bad brake job can kill you. As the flying blobs of molten metal that come off a high energy arc can take out an eye.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I don't touch anything mechanical other than oil changes and I'm still learning about this electrical stuff. I was using a deep socket when I shouldn't have and it arched. How exactly do I multimeter that?

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
Once you let the magic smoke out it may never work right again!:D

You can pick up that fuse at most auto parts stores. With a little luck thats all you blew. If not...... get comfy, you will be here a while.:cool:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What else could I have blown? Isn't that megafuse supposed to keep it from blowing other things.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Fuses almost never blow fast enough to protect sensitive electronic items. It protects against wiring overloads as in a crash or in case of abraded insulation. They can't protect against wrench incidents.

Statistics are with you, but it's impossible to guarantee that the arc you created, which is like a mini-lightning bolt, didn't take out other stuff. If the megafuse was perfectly and instantly effective (which it cannot ever be by the laws of physics), you would never have seen the wrench make a spark or heard a noise.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.