Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
128k on the clock, PCM tune, performance muffler but cat and resonator intact, K&N and synthetic oil since 5k miles, I drive it hard and tow several trailers now n then. Its throwing a p128 code(coolant not heating up quick enough) because I'm guessing the thermostat is stuck OPEN. Perfect it runs at 170-190 degrees all the time even when its hot and the A/C is on the perfect malfunction for 2 years now, no reason to fix it. Temps confirmed with Scan Gauge II. I cleared the code before I took it in-Scan Gauges rock.
It runs great but this is the first year I had to have it smogged here in Kalifornia. Did the spark plugs at 77k, and just did the Sea Foam thru the brake line route intake cleanup. I always run brand name gas in 89 octane(due to the tune).
$33.00 and 15 minutes later I'm outta there. It passed with flying colors:
Max level HC idle/2500rpm is 100/170, I was at 12/16! Max CO is 1.00/.10 at idle/2500rpm, I was at 0.00/0.00!
Since its 4wd, they don't dyno test it for smog like most cars. The tech explained when the computer sees the VIN showing a 4wd, they don't dyno test them anymore even though the cars are in 2wd mode due to too many foul ups with AWD's coming off the rollers, etc. So here in Kali, no dyno test for anyone with a 4wd. Tested the gas cap with a little vacuum tank thingy, piece of cake. I will graciously take credit for the easy pass due to a quality Izuzu I6 motor, and me taking great care with my maintenance over the last 6 years. PCM tune worried me at first but now I can tell you it doesn't matter either. Take care of these trucks and they will take care of you, I look foward to getting at least 200-300k out of this truck. Yes truck, how many SUVs these days actually have frames and lockers, to me its a truck. Now if I could just get some decent ground clearance for off-roading.........

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
Sea Foam, does it smoke

128k on the clock, PCM tune, performance muffler but cat and resonator intact, K&N and synthetic oil since 5k miles, I drive it hard and tow several trailers now n then. Its throwing a p128 code(coolant not heating up quick enough) because I'm guessing the thermostat is stuck OPEN. Perfect it runs at 170-190 degrees all the time even when its hot and the A/C is on the perfect malfunction for 2 years now, no reason to fix it. Temps confirmed with Scan Gauge II. I cleared the code before I took it in-Scan Gauges rock.
It runs great but this is the first year I had to have it smogged here in Kalifornia. Did the spark plugs at 77k, and just did the Sea Foam thru the brake line route intake cleanup. I always run brand name gas in 89 octane(due to the tune).
$33.00 and 15 minutes later I'm outta there.
Well I was wondering what goes down after the Sea Foam blows/burns/whatever thru the engine,so if I could be ready ? Springbuck

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I will graciously take credit for the easy pass due to a quality Izuzu I6 motor, and me taking great care with my maintenance over the last 6 years. PCM tune worried me at first but now I can tell you it doesn't matter either. Take care of these trucks and they will take care of you, I look foward to getting at least 200-300k out of this truck. Yes truck, how many SUVs these days actually have frames and lockers, to me its a truck. Now if I could just get some decent ground clearance for off-roading.........
I'd love to see proof of that. We had this discussion here on this forum a couple of years ago. Bottom line was a GM exec. said it was designed from the ground up by GM engineers, not Isuzu.

BTW, congrats. on passing the smog.

Edit: Found this one. See post number 6 in particular
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=14572&highlight=isuzu

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That would still be good. GM designed, Izusu built, damn good stuff. My Duramax truck engine says Izusu right on it, gotta laugh when guys says American stuff sucks, yes/no whatever my DM has 100k on it and its barely broken in. If the good ole USA has the sense to use jap stuff in their products, thats OK with me. Better than Ford turning out that American made POS 6.0 powerstroke that has endless problems giving american trucks a bad rep. As I recall the P-51 Mustang used a Packard copy of the RR Merlin engine, copy is a form of flattery. The 4.2 I-6 engine I think is one of the best kept "secrets" GM ever made. 3 weeks ago my wife went 65 mph up the grapevine towing a 4500 lb jet boat and trailer passing me with our WW trailer I was thinking damn thats awesome!
BTW Roadie I love your trail reports and mods, if I could lift this thing without a hassle I would, it four wheels great especially with the G80, just too damn low to the ground. Going to Mammoth to explore in a couple weeks, I could sure use some more clearance on some of those trails, logging and service roads.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
I firmly believe the TrailVoys drive better uphill (both ways) in any conditions. It's almost as if they refuse to let anything else pass you or make it to the top of a peak first (except in snowy conditions in the 2WD, ugh). I do love these eye-sixx's :woot:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.