Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my sunroof did the popping thing a few weeks ago and got stuck halfway open. I was able to remove the glass, adjust the broken parts, and re-install the glass in the closed position.

Instead of paying a mechanic $500 or more to repair it, I decided to use the advice on here and do it myself using the kit from Sunroof Doctor.

Just wanted to share with everyone, what you get when you buy the kit from Sunroof Doctor. The kit includes:
-2 Lift Arms
-2 Cam Brackets
-2 Trough Guides
-7 Rivets
-1 Swab Brush
-1 Small Container of Grease
-Instruction Sheet

Items needed to do the job:
-Drill
-3/16" Drill Bit
-Torx Bit Set with Driver
-Pop Rivet Tool
-Brake Cleaner (to clean out tracks)

The package arrived today, and it's not as easy (for someone with limited mechanical resources) to do on their own. :hissy: But, I still think I can do it on my own.

Sunroofdoctor.com never mentioned that I would need to drill out old rivets and would also need a rivet gun to install new ones. But, I will get my hands on a rivet gun, and still do the repair myself within the next few weeks.

I embedded pictures of the instructions in this post.
I have also attached a PDF of the instructions to this post.

I will post more once I do the work. I was unable to find a "how to" article for doing the repair with this kit. Does anyone have the link to one?

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
115 Posts
I did this project on my truck...Take pictures of what everything looked like before u rip it apart. And TAKE YOUR TIME!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
you have to drop the head liner to get to the sunroof assembly. i didnt remove it out of the vehicle cause the only way i saw that was possible, was to cut the wires attached to the head liner. i wasnt doing that. so i just dropped it straight down onto the seats.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<<<SIGH>>>

I have my headliner dropped, old sunroof assembly out.

Having a hell of a time with the rivets. I drilled through them with a 1/8" bit, as instructed.

They didn't come right out though. The back side of the rivets swelled up. Not sure if this is from improper drilling, or what.

I kept messing around, using needle nose and a smaller drill bit, and was able to get one of them out. Makes me nervous, because the riveted pieces are plastic.

Anyone have other methods of removing rivets?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts