Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally followed suit on this mod, and I'm pretty happy with it all things considered. I wanted to get a 'black' one, since that's the theme I'm going with and it would match my Depo tails, but although the Ebay listing said it was black, it's more of a light smoke.

I've kept all my pre-mod bug bite items, in the event I need to go back to stock, so I added some quick disconnects to the stock wire, and the Avalanche light (as well as the old one, not pictured) so it will be a quick and painless swap if necessary.

A quick test on my hacked up PC power supply to make sure I didn't goof on the polarities, and it's ready to mount! Now all I've got left is to put some switchbacks in the front, and upgrade my side markers in the corners to LED, and my exterior conversion will be complete! :D

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
Nice job! :thumbsup:

I wanted to get a 'black' one, since that's the theme I'm going with and it would match my Depo tails, but although the Ebay listing said it was black, it's more of a light smoke.
Welcome to my world. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts
thats a lot of LED's you got going on in the back there :crackup:...

love the look of the 3rd brake light :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job! :thumbsup:

Welcome to my world. :rolleyes:
Thanks, just wish that meant I had an SS... ;)

good lookin' lights
:thx

thats a lot of LED's you got going on in the back there :crackup:...

love the look of the 3rd brake light :thumbsup:
Yeah, my buddy at work likes to give me a hard time about all the lights, especially when the auto lights come on, and the parking lights in the mirrors come on too. :D But hey, the way I see it, nobody can rear end me and say they couldn't see any lights! The fire and ice bar might get deleted, or replaced at some point, since 4 of the red LEDs on the driver's side have a problem and dimly light :sadcry:

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
lookin good, now to just get that light bar corrected :bonk:

if you ever want to mess with that let me know, probably a bad resistor

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
940 Posts
Is the replacement Avalanche brake light DOT approved? I like all the upgrades back there. I want to get one of those tailgate bars eventually too in addition to a neon license plate frame connected to the brake lights.:undecided

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lookin good, now to just get that light bar corrected :bonk:

if you ever want to mess with that let me know, probably a bad resistor
I did try to mess with it before. Noticed the silicone in that end was dried out and cracked, allowing a bit of moisture in there. Took the bar off, old sealant out, heated up the end (melted the plastic a lil bit) to dry it out, and resealed it. No help. There's no easy way to take it apart, so I was looking on Amazon for a replacement. Wouldn't you know it, price has gone way up from the $25 I dropped on it last year. :hopeless

Is the replacement Avalanche brake light DOT approved? I like all the upgrades back there. I want to get one of those tailgate bars eventually too in addition to a neon license plate frame connected to the brake lights.:undecided
The ad on Ebay says it's DOT approved, but I believe everything says that... If you're gonna add some goodies back there, why not make an LED frame for your plate? Plenty of options for flexible strips you could use :D

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1,518 Posts
A quick test on my hacked up PC power supply to make sure I didn't goof on the polarities, and it's ready to mount! Now all I've got left is to put some switchbacks in the front, and upgrade my side markers in the corners to LED, and my exterior conversion will be complete! :D

Looks good............switchbacks are the sheet :D..Love mine ;)

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good............switchbacks are the sheet :D..Love mine ;)
I was a lil hesitant, since I was a bit unsure on installing load resistors. But after seeing a recent thread for the plug and play LED flasher relay, that makes things a lot easier. :D

Looks good :thumbsup:
:thx

Looks great!
I think you need something else to finish off the exterior!
DECALS!:D
I was thinking the same thing after I saw it was smoked instead of black. May have to come up with some ideas :undecided

:thumbsup:
Looks good :thumbsup:
:thx guys!

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1,518 Posts
I was a lil hesitant, since I was a bit unsure on installing load resistors. But after seeing a recent thread for the plug and play LED flasher relay, that makes things a lot easier. :D
Load resistors are a piece of cake----one end to the ground and the other to the wire for the turn signal. Mount em' and your done. A VOM is a good tool to have on hand as well ;)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
236 Posts
Was wondering what year Avalanche's high mount would I have to use on my '02. I have inspection coming up and my neon tube crapped out. I like the look of the smoked clear avalanche's light. Plus it's waaaaaaay cheaper than the replacement Trailblazer red one.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was wondering what year Avalanche's high mount would I have to use on my '02. I have inspection coming up and my neon tube crapped out. I like the look of the smoked clear avalanche's light. Plus it's waaaaaaay cheaper than the replacement Trailblazer red one.
I don't think you need to specify the year, they are all the same shape and have the same mounting points. Plus you'll have to mod the wire/connector anyway so you're all good. :thumbsup:

But yeah, it's hard to believe these are so much cheaper than our OEM ones, and look 100X better too!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think you need to specify the year, they are all the same shape and have the same mounting points. Plus you'll have to mod the wire/connector anyway so you're all good. :thumbsup:

But yeah, it's hard to believe these are so much cheaper than our OEM ones, and look 100X better too!
Will I have to modify the opening on the TB? The Avalanche's look to be a tad bit bigger.

So the connection is not the same for the Tb? I guess I'll just modify that. Which brand did you go with? I see they range from $39.99 to $89.99 on Ebay.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will I have to modify the opening on the TB? The Avalanche's look to be a tad bit bigger.

So the connection is not the same for the Tb? I guess I'll just modify that. Which brand did you go with? I see they range from $39.99 to $89.99 on Ebay.
Nope, the connection is very different. Look at the first pic, you'll see the Avalanche plug is similar to the ones for our headlights, just smaller. The ones on our TBs is a tiny square-like deal. Plus, the Avalanche wire is way too short, so you'll have to not only cut off the connector, but extend the wiring to make it reach.

I cut off a length from the old 3rd brake light, and crimped some connectors on each, as you can see from the pics. Wrapped em up with some electrical tape, and it's been perfect ever since. :thumbsup:

Here's the equivalent to the one I bought. There are some with different #'s of LEDs, I wanted the one with the most! (16) :D:cool:

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is the exact one I was looking at. I think I'm gonna buy it right now! The $39.99 one looked to cheap. Now to do some research on how to replace it as I've never done it before. Thanks a bunch:thx

1 - 20 of 77 Posts