Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I figured since these tires were soo new, and i couldnt find anyone else here on the board with these specific tires I figured I would do a write up.

I just got a set of Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires. 265/70/17 load rating E

first off, wow what an mean looking tire. and it feels stiff as hell. but i bet u can run them flat hahaha.

on the net the guys say that the tires isnt anywhere near as loud as their other mud tires. now i will admit i have never had a MT tire before. but these still do have a noticeable hum at highway speeds. and u feel everything in the road. this is probably due to the kevlar, and the high load rating. next time around i may get a lighter load rated tire to get back some comfort. but i will wait and see how these tires break in.

So far I have about 40kms on them. so far so good. no rubbing, no rubber flying off.

Ill keep people posted. and try to get some pics up in my profile asap.

Z

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
625 Posts
How much tire to ball joint clearance do you have with those tires, and do have spacers??? Do you have a pic???

Read what you wrote in another post you have aftermarket wheels with 4.5 of back spacing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
***NEW UPDATE***

Hey everyone, I have a new update for my on going review of the new Goodyear MT/R kevlar tires.

I have put on just about 1200kms since they were installed last thursday. I have been playing with tire pres., and i think I have found one i like that is suitable for the mainly on road driving i do. Right now the pres. is set at 42psi front 45psi rear. I am not set on this, so when i change to something else ill let you guys know. ill def be taking some air out of the rear.

the road noise really isnt that bad at all. especially for a large MT. i have had a lot of people stop to tell me how quiet they are, and how awesome they look.

After spending a little bit of time in a granite quarry, i got to test these bad boys on some rock, sand, water, and some mud.

let me make this clear, man it is hard to get these tires to loose traction. they just bite on everything and hold. the load range E is a pretty stiff tire, and you def. notice that off road.

all and all I am very happy. i plan on rotating the tires asap, and getting my alignment and balance re checked.

one thing i have considered doing is getting the little powdered bead stuff poured into my tires for balancing. supposedly they re balance the tire every time you drive. when you stop they fall down. when you start driving they fly outwards to the unbalanced areas of the tire, thus balancing it. def something i want to look into further.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome bro! you'll definetly have to do a write up. it really sucks when there is no easy access to good reviews. and maybe we will see more people running something other then the bf goodrich stuff. granted it is tried and true. but you'll never know if something is better for your particular drive then something else.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still trying to find that perfect tire pressure.....going back to the tire shop to have my alignment checked again after i added some height to my lift, and put these tires on.

still lovin the tires :thumbsup: its crazy how often people stop and stare, or give me the thumbs up. how awesome is a tire that performs well, and can make peoples day, and make them smile. now if i can only find a tire that will make a girls skirt fall off hahahaha :bonk:.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
**Update**

Ok so I think I have settled on a psi after talking to JD and my tire guys. right now i am running around town at 50psi front and back. may bump it up to 52 or 55 since the ride isnt to harsh.

in the morning when its reallly cold and the truck has be sitting all day, the tires take a few kms to warm up, and soften up. i can tell because the hum is a bit louder, and the balance will feel off for a few kms. but once warm they are just fine.

Im gona go out and re torque them today.

still lovin' the tires, by the way.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
***UPDATE***

we finaly had our first major snow fall. and my opion of the tires in the heavy snow are, mixed. i was upset that i had to use 4x4 to get out of my driveway. and even then it was a bit of a trial. but the stoping grip was there when i needed it. and after some getting used to the tires they work quite well.

once i got out of my driveway, and onto the street, which was un plowed, and covered with snow as high as the curb i must admit i need to adjust my driving style a bit for the totaly awkard driving characteristics. testing the breaks were one thing that actualy gave me my confidence back. these tires will stick when you try to stop. but like any tire in the winter, dont go slamming on your breaks as hard as you can and not expect to slide.

driving through snow drifts, over other peoples tracks in 6" of snow at 40mph in 4x4 were great. the truck stuck to the road and held its line very well. hahaha although i do feel bad for the people behind me because of all the snow i was throwing around hahaha.

my current tire preasure is around 48frnt - 46rear psi

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Why are you running such high psi? I run 30ish as indicated on the door. Lower pressure will give you a better footprint and probably more traction. Our trucks are not heavy enough to need that high of pressure.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts
I am running 255/75/17's same tire & they are amazing. They hold their ground on the ice, snow, slush. Poooshhh 4x4? Nooo need for it in the drifts I encountered...^^^ maybe it was the driver? :raspberry Joking, of course!! :D:D Love em' & yes, I love how they self clean on the passing vehicles....especially when it is frozen mud...:woot:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
257 Posts
From a lot of snow and ice driving experience, I would disagree with the lower tire pressure in snow and ice conditions. It would be good for high friction situations like rock, or need to float over the surface like sand, but for snow it is usually better to have a lower contact patch and a higher chance to bite into the snow rather than float over it. If I am sliding in the snow (like we had earlier this week), I add more air. They were at around 35 psi and bumped them to 45 (my tires are rated to 55) and had no more problems with sliding. More pounds per square inch on the contact patch of the tire and road. While most people were floating on the snow and sliding, I was biting down to the asphalt. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
Why are you running such high psi? I run 30ish as indicated on the door. Lower pressure will give you a better footprint and probably more traction. Our trucks are not heavy enough to need that high of pressure.
The tires installed from the factory are usually rated at 35psi max. My BFGoodrich Rugged Trails (worst tires ever in rain/snow). My Firestone Destinations are rated at 44psi max, and I run them at 40psi front and rear, any lower and my mileage drops about 3-4mpg...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys, here are some answeres to the questions past.....

1. yes i am sure there was some driver error for the first 5 minutes, but once i got used to the new tires, lift, and the vette servo i was fine.

2. i run a much higher psi then most becuse my max psi is almost double then most.

my max is 80 psi. and once you change to a different sized tire then stock, the sticker on the door doesnt realy mean much.

i have been watching the wear on my tires, and they seem to be prettydarn even. so i am happy with the preasure.

3. on snow you want to cut through it not float. so lowering the preasure would be a bad idea.

:thx

z

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
22 Posts
pressure ???

You do have to run a higher pressure in the "LT" tire .... if he runs the door placard pressure he will run the risk of overheating the tire.. the tire was not designed for this vehicle... ( "e" load range) ... anytime you change tires from stock size / load index etc... you must adjust for it.. load range "e" tires are designed for load carrying / heavier vehicles.. can hold pressures up to 80 psi
(try that with your o.e. tires and we'll visit you in the hospital !!)
I'm not sure what the correct pressure is ... but is definetely not what the vehicle calls for. Be careful ...:undecided

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
I tend to follow what the tires say... I keep 50 bc i have a max of 60. With 40 they're kinda soft, but i get better mileage with the extra 10. at 30, its like being aired way down, 20 has the big bulge...

My BFG KM2's at 40 PSI were low...

It really all depends on the tire and how it hold the air and how the pressure affects it. If you ran the KM2's i had at 35, it would have looked flat all the time. every time i see a km2 on a rock-crawler or truck, they're close to max pressure regardless of the weight of the rig.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got to spend some time in the dessert at Borrega with Roadie. We drove through sand, sand stone, large loose rocks on lose dirt. These tires did amazing!!!! No cuts, or buldges, and they just rock in the lose stuff. I never encountered a problem where I needed more traction. I was running around 18psi and loved it. especially over the wash board ruts in the dried up washed at 40+ mph

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
163 Posts
Hey I could not find the pic of the space between your tire and ball joint clearance in your gallery. Would really like to see it. Also what size tire is that. Those are the tires I am lookin at getting. Also what lift do you have? Sorry for all the questions. Thanx in advance!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts