Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good friend came to me with a GMC Envoy that the dealer had diagnosed as a bad amp and the factory amp alone is close to 1000 dollars. After talking to numerous different shops eveyrone told her the whole system had to be ripped out, new radio, amp, speakers, onstar integration, steering wheel controls, etc and u can imagine how badly salesmen tried to take her on a run for her money.

What we ended up doing was grabing an old 4 channel amp and a peripheral SVEN4 to integrate with the factory bose system and also add a Parrot Bluetooth setup at the same time. While the factory radio does have low level outputs I still used the SVEN4 which I use on most cars just to isolate against noise etc

The car

Factory blown amp

Peripheral SVEN4 tied into factory wiring from headunit back at the amp and tucked away

amp wired up for testing and gain setting etc

amp all mounted, wiring cleaned up, and tucked away. once the factory plastics are put back on you would never know what lurks underneath

since this isnt a high power amp by any means we tied into the factory fuse box under the back seat, this is fed straight from up front

Factory radio with the bluetooth all set up

The stereo sounds way better then it ever did with the factory amp, alot cleaner and the ability to get alot louder. The parrot integrates flawlessly and I think its time for me to get a parrot after delivering the car to the customer and using the bluetooth it really is nice. I think we will soon be upgrading from the bose speakers to something midlevel coaxials, although it actually sounds 100x better then stock with some power running through them and the amp is nothing special at all.

All and all a simple factory integration that turned out great and didnt cost thousands

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
1000 bucks to replace the factory amp, dam.

im suprised that it sounds better with just a new amp. lets see $1000 blows amp or a $50 craigslist find. tells you a lot about the "premium" system.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I always thought amp was on passenger side and all my tech documents say that also, but it deff was on drivers side, could be beacuse rear heat/acc was on passenger side.

Dealer charged her something liek 150 dollars just to tell her amp was shot. If i recall it was 6-700 dollars for just the amp on gmpartsdirect and dealer was close to 1g. I had the old 4 channel and just gave it to her. Cant be more then 50rms per channel and it sounds so much better then a stock system and actually gets surprisingly loud while staying clean

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Looks like she sure loves punching the power button. :laugh: I'm surprised to see the rods for the jack where what appears to be the left side rear panel(?) Mine are under the rear seat, maybe GM had to relocate them for the amp under the seat. Is this an EXT?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Dealer charged her something liek 150 dollars just to tell her amp was shot. If i recall it was 6-700 dollars for just the amp on gmpartsdirect and dealer was close to 1g. I had the old 4 channel and just gave it to her. Cant be more then 50rms per channel and it sounds so much better then a stock system and actually gets surprisingly loud while staying clean
plus the fact that each speaker had a diffrent impedence, dosent help. but there really was a diffrence between the two amps?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If i recall they were all 4ohm but I could be wrong on that. Hands down sounds better then a stock system also gets a **** ton louder. Coming from having installed daily I was shocked how good the stock speakers sounded with a differnt amp on them, not to say they sound as good as quality aftermarket speakers but i was shocked

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like she sure loves punching the power button. :laugh: I'm surprised to see the rods for the jack where what appears to be the left side rear panel(?) Mine are under the rear seat, maybe GM had to relocate them for the amp under the seat. Is this an EXT?
My daughter's 2002 Envoy dash control knobs have worn paint too. It used to be my car but I let her use it to get back and forth from college as she travels over a mountain pass. I was disappointed with how quickly the signs of wear happened with the entire interior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.