Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the fuel level sensor on my truck a while back and the guy helping me ended up breaking the plastic vent cap no big deal. with my abilities i just fixed the cap. i went to dealer to price out cap no big deal i thought most would cost would be 20-40$ wrong you cannot get the vent cap you have to buy the whole tank so i thought why not ill see how much they want maybe 5-600 knowing gm parts once again i was wrong 1822$. then to top it off not an envoy or trailblazer my mom has an 03 cadilac cts. she needs a u joint. the car has a 2 piece drive shaft. took it to my local tranny shop they called gm and you can not just get a u joint u have to buy both parts of the drive shaft. which cost 2100$. no wonder why gm is going under. sorry bout the venting. have any of you other guys got problems like this

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,097 Posts
Keep in mind GM may not be the ones who are makeing the parts. They usually have smaller companies supply them with parts and they just put it all together. In my industry (RV) we have a tough time getting just small replacement parts. A lot of the time you have to get a whole new part for just a simple little item. Not saying dealer prices aren't high, but this could be the case. GM does not want to be a parts store, they want to buy just the right amount of parts to build the cars they are building right now. Added inventory just costs them more, hense they will keep a whole part and not a bunch of pieces. I say try searching a junkyard for some of the parts:m2:

·
Registered
2009 non_gmt360 other
883 Posts
Loads of crap. I bet you could find a wreck yard that has the gas piece, and a specialized u-joint place would probably have what you need to get the job done. At least parts wise. If they have the facilities to do it, who knows. I think I know a place around here in Chicago that might have something like that.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
It looks like it does not use u-joints, so to speak. It is a propeller shaft, if the bad one is the last shaft, and it is more of a double ended CV joint shaft. What is it doing? What kind of noises?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for the gas tank i called up a cuple different wrecking yards. they have them for 150$. but i am going to see how well my fix hold up before i have to drop the tank again. and for the drive shaft my tranny guys knows a place that has replaced them before i am not sure on what exactly they do. but he said worst is he will cut off the ends to the shafts and install new ends that will accept aftermarket u joints for 300$

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
That shaft (entire assembly) looks like it's GM #26091087, available at parts4chevys.com for $480. Who came up with $2100? Assuming it's the rear shaft as Robert thought.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry the main part that needs to be replaced is the bearing that goes on shaft and in back of tranny. and the u joint is sloppy. they still say you have to replaces the whole assembly and the shaft is the bottom one

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts