Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you need an earlier model glove box... I looked at Daves 04 and he doesnt have a spot and mine does.. as I have put one in
Could I replace just that piece of black trim that goes around the opening?
That's where it looks like it goes, and if I remove it I still see a notch in the dash padding just to the right of the striker bar.

If that's where it's supposed to be I could dremel.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,240 Posts
yeah my bad you can just replace that piece.. :duh:
You'll find this hard to believe, but that piece is not available from GM unless you buy the whole dash pad. Yes, I know it uses screws to secure it, but the General doesn't make that part available by itself. Brilliant people at GMSPO. I have the glovebox switch and connector, just need the time to figure out where to make the cutout for it to fit.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
47 Posts
This is still going on! My 2007 Envoy didn't have the glovebox lamp or underhood lamp either.
I have ordered and fitted both lamps now; I simply looked at a picture of the glovebox posted by ieatglue plus the Haynes manual pictures, and then cut the hole witha sharp knife and razor saw. The lamp shines through a circular hole- the outline for the hole was already in the moulding, so I used that as a guide when cutting and filing it.
There should be a lens in the hole but I don't think it's necessary.
The hood already has the holes under the lining for the underhood lamp, so I just felt for the holes and cut the liner away with a knife.
However, I still need to wire them up.

The Haynes manual wiring diagram indicates both lamps are fed by the same orange wire from the rear fusebox.
A post in another section of this forum indicated that someones underhood lamp was fed from the front fusebox.
So it's a bit confusing. I don't know whether to run a wire all the way from the rear fusebox and through the firewall plus across to the glovebox, or if the underhood lamp was designed to be fed from the front fusebox while the glovebox lamp was designed to be fed from the rear fusebox.

Or was the orange wire run over the headliner and down the fronyt pillar then across to the drivers side and through the firewall?

Surely SOMEBODY has photos of where the original orange wiring was run for both these lamps, from a 2002??? :confused:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Or do what I did. I used an led strip cut down. Then I just wired it to my dome lights. IYeah I have to turn on the domes to look in the glove box but thats not bad. At some point I would like to add a switch to the glove box so that it will turn on everytime I open it but I have no idea what kind of switch to look for.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
47 Posts
That's a good thing about the original switch/lamp unit- it just clips into the hole once you make it and makes the switching operation easy.
A side benefit is that my glovebox door now feels much more like a luxury car when you shut it; the spring plunger of the switch cushions the door as it hits the striker.

Before it always sounded like I was slamming it, even though I pushed it gently.
:).

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
47 Posts
chief-e9 has posted a question about how to tap into the rear fusebox for his power seat; http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=83787

I added a reply to connect to this topic because maybe they will tell us how to connect the orange wire to the rear fusebox, as per 2002 models, to run the timed RAP 12V wire to the glovebox and underhood lamp.
(Nobody here with a 2002 has posted pictures of where the wiring comes from etc.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts