Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
After reading a few threads I'm pretty sure the annoying clicking coming from my dash when I turn the Envoy on is the Defrost "Door mode actuator". (clicking when on anything with defrost, lasts about 10-15 seconds, getting worse by the day)
does anyone have a good detailed description/walkthrough on how to get to it in a 2003 Envoy (4.2)?

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that the same actuator as the defrost? the other threads regarding this made it seem like it wasn't.

And I'm looking for a guide to get the dash off in an envoy...I think the TB and Env are a bit different, or am I just mistaken?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
The trucks are the same.

We don't have a defrost actuator, it is a mode actuator.

When you move the mode selector switch the actuator follows the movement.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sure we have a defrost actuator. It's not the most difficult to get to (the recirculate one is). I'm not sure the Haynes manual has a dash removal procedure, but the one in the factory manual is very involved. I did it once. Not looking forward to ever going that deep again.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
132 Posts
Yeah...procedure in the factory manual is quite long. The red text in the first instruction is the giveaway. Detailing the I/P carrier removal coming after this post.

Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the I/P carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.

See picture 1

2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the defroster actuator.
3. Remove the screws from the defroster actuator.
4. Remove the defroster actuator.

Installation Procedure

See picture 1 again

1. Install the defroster actuator.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the defroster actuator screws. Tighten the screws to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).
3. Connect the electrical connector to the defroster actuator.
4. Install the I/P carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.
5. Recalibrate the defroster actuator. Refer to Actuator Recalibration

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
132 Posts
Here is the carrier replacement. It was faster to convert it to Word and post it...hope it comes out well. I had to split it into two files so it would fit under the size limits.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great, thanks for your help guys!

What is the right part # for the defrost actuator, I know on a couple threads before they said that the part #'s changed for different years.

Mine is a 2003 envoy...thanks to anyone who knows!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You seem to be getting the two doors mixed up. Or at least it sounds like it to me. The mode door actuator is the one that commonly goes out and is the one that has multiple part numbers. It makes the clicking noise when you go to defrost because it is struggling to close the door so the air will head toward the defrost vents. Once it fails then the air will only come out at the floor and a little out the defrost. I would guess that it is the one you are having issues with. There has been very little talk about having to replace the defrost actuator. Just want to make sure you are replacing the right one.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ray,
OK...so when I turn it to defrost or floor/defrost I am hearing a progressively worse clicking sound.

Seeing we're going to be hitting the freezing point up here within the next week I would love to get this fixed!

So...what is the part you think I need? the mode door actuator is what causes this, not the defrost actuator

And the part # for the mode door actuator is what, and the instructions to change it is where?

Thanks for your help...this seems like a pain in the ass and I just was to get it fixed...

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
8 Posts
2005 Envoy recirculate actuator

Sure we have a defrost actuator. It's not the most difficult to get to (the recirculate one is). I'm not sure the Haynes manual has a dash removal procedure, but the one in the factory manual is very involved. I did it once. Not looking forward to ever going that deep again.

How can I get to the recirculate atuator in my 2005 envoy. The recirculation for the a/c only works sometimes eventhough the light is on on the control panel so I bought it. But I would like to know does all the dashboard have to come out since it is on the passenger side?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
20 Posts
how would you know the difference whether its the mode actuator or the defrost actuator?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i will cycle the modes and gice u results. Also Iits the same whether I have the blower on high medium or low.

Front vent only-lots of air
Floor vent with front defrost- air at floor only (strong around high gas pedal, I placed a piece of paper on top of defrost n Iit moves very little. Looks like residual air leaking out)
Floor only-air at floor (same as above)
Floor and front vent (air on front vent only no air on floor)
Front defrost- air at floor, no air at defrost (Same results as floor n defrost together)
Recirculate- works on anything that has front vent mode. Blinks on all others. Same results as above in regards to air flow.

Sometimes I hear a "whine" sound coming from passenger side dash when I turn on the air system.
Also, would the driver/passemger actuator have any effects on air flow or just temp regulation?
So yea...now it sounds like mode actuator more tham defrost. But idk...thats why im here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
anybody? i know my mode actuator is bad however how the hell do i know if my defrost is bad as well? and also what part number is it? i have a 2002 tb ext lt. non-manual temp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts