Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will generic tow hooks work with the TB? Can they mount to the same frame as the OEM Tow Hooks? I don't want to go to a full off road set up but would like to have a recovery method for easy to moderate trails.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Nope, only the stock ones fit right with the plastic bumper installed. The only way I have seen it done is by taking off the plastic and using the bumper mounting bolt as your mount for the hook... I'll see if I can find a picture.

Edit: It was mikepeters: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=50374

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the mikepeters pictures, what if I took some 1/4" or 3/8" flat stock and cut a 'L' shape and mounted to the bolt holes of the stock tow hooks and the mounted the generic hooks to that?

I don't want to take the bumper cover off.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The OEM hooks are already what I'd call wuss-duty, and we have reports of trail recovery bendage. They're GM #15155842 and 15155843, and only $42 a side on parts4chevys.com

Really, you can spend a couple of hours fabricating something only 10% as strong as these weak sisters, but why bother? Surely a successful recovery is worth getting the OEM parts? Or call a few junkyards.

If you can, spread the pulling force over both of them - don't depend on either one for more than 1000-1500 pounds.

What else are you carrying (orplanning to carry) for recovery equipment that might be an alternative way to economize?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
The OEM hooks are already what I'd call wuss-duty, and we have reports of trail recovery bendage. They're GM #15155842 and 15155843, and only $42 a side on parts4chevys.com

Really, you can spend a couple of hours fabricating something only 10% as strong as these weak sisters, but why bother? Surely a successful recovery is worth getting the OEM parts? Or call a few junkyards.

If you can, spread the pulling force over both of them - don't depend on either one for more than 1000-1500 pounds.
I'm sorry, but your post doesn't make sense to me. It seems a bit :weird:.

I agree that the OEM hooks are a bit weak. However, they're decent (heck, many trucks don't even get hooks, these days!) But what I don't understand is where you say they are "weak" and then encourage him to go OEM over other options.... Seems counter-productive.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've straightened out or broken off multiple Chevy tow hooks over the past several years. They are mostly for street duty -- pulling someone out of their driveway, etc. They won't work for off-road extraction, where the weight of the vehicle is multiplied several times over by mud, rock steps, inclines, etc.

Here are the Ford Super Duty pieces -- AWESOME OEM parts that I highly recommend. I can't imagine what would break these. They are beefy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:1|39:1|240:1318

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I'm sorry, but your post doesn't make sense to me. It seems a bit :weird:.

I agree that the OEM hooks are a bit weak. However, they're decent (heck, many trucks don't even get hooks, these days!) But what I don't understand is where you say they are "weak" and then encourage him to go OEM over other options.... Seems counter-productive.
The stock tow hooks are not the strongest, and should be used in this manner on the trails:

However, that option is still much better than:
some 1/4" or 3/8" flat stock and cut a 'L' shape and mounted to the bolt holes of the stock tow hooks and the mounted the generic hooks to that
Why go through all that work when the stock tow hooks are decent enough and will actually fit right? Since mikie dosen't want to take off his bumper cover... its his best alternative.

Glfredrick, I'm not sure how these could be adapted to our stock bumper?... It looks like you'd have to weld some sort of bracket off the frame in order to incorporate these into our stock hook locations.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I guess I never consider a little bit of fabrication to be an issue. Comes with the turf if you are wanting to run an off-road truck.

Seems like everyone wants something "bolt on" with no extra work. Good luck with that... Especially in the Trailblazer line.

·
Registered
458 Posts
this is why i am glad they went to full loops instead of hooks on my silverado, much stronger design i think. Ive used them with no problems thus far, if you can figure out how to get the 07-09 silverado hooks to work id snag up some of those the black ones go cheap cause everyone upgrades them to chrome.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Seems like everyone wants something "bolt on" with no extra work. Good luck with that... Especially in the Trailblazer line.
You seem to have broken the code. Trailvoys are marketed to a different population of folks with a different average set of skills.
...snag up some of those the black ones go cheap cause everyone upgrades them to chrome.
And as we all know:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
A Question for the Moderators:

How does this thread rate a "SOLVED" notation???

I read the entire thing twice but it is quite possible I missed something. What exactly is the recommendation for up grading the less than perfect OEM hooks?

glfredrick's recommendations are an excellent FIRST STEP but ...... that is as far as it went.

Un-answered questions include:
Which year(s) super duty hooks are the ones I should be looking for?
Can they be attached directly to our trucks or does a bracket have to be fabricated?
Do they have to be welded on or Can they be bolted on?
Where are they to be attached?
Can I use the bumper cover as is or do I need to break out my sawzall and/ or hole cutter?

Not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone, but "Get better hooks and put them on." is about as useful as "Buy low and sell high." Look at some of the sticky threads on this forum such as the one that tells us how to convert ordinary side mirrors into mirrors w/ turn signals. Or the one showing how to remove your cloth seat covers and replace them with leather. They are both full of explicid details, photographs, and tips/ advise/ lessons learned. You might not have the skills to tackle either problem, you might be able to but not want to do either project, but you will know exactly what it takes to start and finish the job! How useful would the upholstery sticky be if all the advise you got was "Remove the old covers and reverse the procedure to instal the new ones" and the only illustration was a link to a photo of a Katzkan cover? Those are threads that IMO rate a PROBLEM SOLVED, not this one.

The other day I heard somebody say "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice." Is that where Trailvoy is headed? Have I missed the whole point of this thread and now we are beyond nuts and bolts questions and only have philosophical discussions?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Perhaps I'll investigate the fabrication of the brackets to mount the SD tow hooks in place. Can't be that big a deal. I have the TV, the SD hooks, and a lot of steel and tools... :D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The other option would be to utilize Mike's radiator skidplate design to reinforce the hooks.

It's not the hooks that are weak, its their mounting design, as they mount as a lever around the main bumper bolts. When there is a high load it can bend or shear the reinforcing bar around the inside tow-hook bolt.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
James, to that, I posted this in another tow hook thread last week...

I'm going to get a set of the stock ones, but in the long run, I think I'm going to design something to weld or bolt to the frame, to bring a shackle mount out the front of the bumper... Maybe where the stock tow hooks come out, and maybe something that bolts in where the bumper bolts to the frame, and has a mount sticking down into the air intake, in the middle...

Or better yet... *lightbulb* just now, as I'm typing this...

I could make the radiator skid plate make you ditch the stock hooks, make the plate mount to the bumper mounting bolts (as well as a couple places in the middle), and weld a 2" reciever onto the bottom of that front part (that mounts to the bottom of the bumper support), and to the front of the first vertical part (where the cooling holes are, now)...

I need to go clean my pants...

Mike
The more I look at the design, and at your FEA analysis, the more doable I think this is... I may not mount a winch on it, but I think it should be better than the stock hooks...

Mike

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
Perhaps I'll investigate the fabrication of the brackets to mount the SD tow hooks in place. Can't be that big a deal. I have the TV, the SD hooks, and a lot of steel and tools... :D
:thxLet me say in advance Thank You, Thank You, ThankYou.:thx

The other option would be to utilize Mike's radiator skidplate design to reinforce the hooks.
That too would work well for me.

something like this... with no holes in the middle, and more reinforcement, of course
A great idea to be sure but, I would still like tow hooks in addition to a 2" receiver. Not every recovery/ tow job requires a winch or using my Trailblazer to its fullest. Having hooks (or eyes) that are always there in an accessable location is what my situations require 90% of the time.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts

A great idea to be sure but, I would still like tow hooks in addition to a 2" receiver. Not every recovery/ tow job requires a winch or using my Trailblazer to its fullest. Having hooks (or eyes) that are always there in an accessable location is sometimes what my situations require 90% of the time.
When I had the Curt hitch on the front, I just kept a shackle mount in it (with the shackle in my recovery bag, in the back), with a locking pin... Always there, and out of the way...

I will actually probably do it so that it will take the factory tow hooks, as well as the possibility of the reciever after the prototype is done...

Mike

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Mike, I just played with the FEA a little when I saw you post about the receiver. I put a 10,000 lbf load on a simulated 2" receiver. I took away the constraint of the central attachment bolts to the reinforcing bar, because at 10,000 lbs the light gauge reinforcer won't help. It looked quite saturated with stress. It looks like it could be possible though if you added some extra gusseting, although it may be difficult to reduce the stresses to an acceptable safety factor.

Considering we've only heard of a couple tow hook failures, I really think that incorporating the hooks into the skid design could reinforce that area just enough to strengthen the hook immensely.

For what its worth. :m2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.