Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a simple light up tester...
-Jumper wire connected to a positive then touching a negative w/ the tool yields a green light.
-Jumper wire connected to a negative then touching a positive w/ the tool yields a red light.

So I am trying to test for a ground and I grabbed my trolling motor battery connected the jumper to the positive post and am searching for a ground but can not find one... (if I touch the battery ground then the light lights up so I know the tool works)

I tried the ground on the rear fuse box of my TB and all the seat tie down bolts... I have to be doing something wrong (because I know these are places that are grounded)...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
You have to run a ground from the battery to the truck too, you can't just use the positive.

Ya know what I mean - you can touch the positive of your trolling motor battery to the negative of your truck battery and nothing will happen (as long as the other 2 aren't touching).
You can't make your test light light by touching + of one battery and - of another.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
I tried the ground on the rear fuse box of my TB and all the seat tie down bolts... I have to be doing something wrong (because I know these are places that are grounded)...
I think your observation should be: "these are places that should be grounded".

Your using a tool that detects battery + and - only, for your tool to perform you need a good ground and a good positive supply.

I assume you are looking for a positive terminal and using the seat bolts to help you find one.

For this to work, you need to ensure the ground reference you are using is a good ground, and ensuring means testing it. You need to reference from the battery. Connect a wire (jumper cables can work) to the seat bolt and test it to the pos terminal on the battery (the wire needs to be long enough to reach the battery area).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it... thanks for the help!

I'm just diagnosing my navigation... it keeps turning on and off... now that I'm able to use my test light correctly; hopefully, I won't having any problems finding the problem...

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts