Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as I was getting ready to sell the old friend, a new problem has surfaced.

I last drove the vehicle about a week ago, only for a few miles, but everything seemed fine. I drove it up to around 45 mph and so it went through all the gears. I pulled into my driveway and parked it and attached my battery tender. Today, I need to haul something. So I disconnect the battery tender and it starts right up, but the gearshift doesn't do anything. It moves very freely (i.e., too freely) through the positions, but the dashboard display continues to show 'P' and there's no operation in any of the gears. It's acting as if the linkage cable was no longer attached. I'm not sure how this would happen just sitting there, but after 16 years something seems to go bad every 3 months or so.

I was first going to check underneath the gearshift inside the cabin, but has anyone seen or heard of this before? Is there a likely failure point? Any thoughts welcome.

Steve

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2 Posts
If it is the bushing, I used this one from ATFSpeed.com...

https://www.atfspeed.com/92-09-GMC-Envoy-Shifter-Cable-Repair-Pin_p_1214.html

It takes a little bit more work, as you need to remove the pin from the shift lever from the transmission, but seems to be a little more durable than the plastic ones.

Instructions are on the link above.

Good luck with whatever way you go about fixing it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
31 Posts
I had the same problem and used the dorman quick fix as well. Worked fine for a couple weeks and then it popped off again. Ended up changing the shift cable, wasn't too tough a job and works well now. Be sure to clean any rust off the trans shift arm and get a better fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just as I was getting ready to sell the old friend, a new problem has surfaced.

I last drove the vehicle about a week ago, only for a few miles, but everything seemed fine. I drove it up to around 45 mph and so it went through all the gears. I pulled into my driveway and parked it and attached my battery tender. Today, I need to haul something. So I disconnect the battery tender and it starts right up, but the gearshift doesn't do anything. It moves very freely (i.e., too freely) through the positions, but the dashboard display continues to show 'P' and there's no operation in any of the gears. It's acting as if the linkage cable was no longer attached. I'm not sure how this would happen just sitting there, but after 16 years something seems to go bad every 3 months or so.

I was first going to check underneath the gearshift inside the cabin, but has anyone seen or heard of this before? Is there a likely failure point? Any thoughts welcome.

Steve
I went ahead and replaced the whole cable, because I heard that the bushings replacement is not always a permanent fix. It is a tough job, especially if you don't have a hoist, but is doable. I picked up abut 40 cents in change under the console and carpet, so it wasn't all bad. Happened just as I pulled out of my driveway, at around 83K miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts