Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my turn now.
I went to a mountainous area. I felt that the gear shifting wasn't ok. When the truck started climbing at 110km, it needed a lower gear but it didn't shift.
The engine coolant temp reached 224F. A/C was on. I pressed the accelerator pedal more until it shifted to a lower gear but it was the 2nd, not the 3rd. After that it shifted to the third but felt like lack of power. After climbing finished, driving was back to normal: 4th gear. Reached my destination. Everything was ok. Driving back home, it did it twice. I had to shift the adequate gears manually. :weird:
Experts, your help is appreciated.

· Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,736 Posts
Roadie's on an expedition, with only intermittent Internet, when they're near a town...

224F is fine for your location, the dry/hot air, A/C, and in the mountains... You just want it to stay below 240F...

I don't know about the shifting issue, but if it was flat, then it came up on a steep hill very quickly, and dropped speed while you were giving it more throttle, second may have been the correct gear to be in, for that speed and throttle position... When you're on the highway, it likes to keep it in OD with lockup as long as possible (even when it probably should downshift), so if you started up a steep hill at 65mph (and slowing to 55mph while slowly giving it more throttle), it could downshift directly into second, depending on what you're doing with the throttle, and what the hill is like...

If it doesn't throw a code (SES light) or slip while in gear or during shifts, it's more than likely OK...

Mike

· Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bartonmd for your reply. Sorry for not checking the thread sooner. I've traveled back to KSA (Saudi Arabia) during the past two days. It was a 1700km ride. In the beginning, outside temp was 36C at 150km/h, engine temp was OK. When I reached an area in KSA where the outside temp was 45C, engine temp reached more than 230F. I wonder, would it do the truck good if I changed the radiator to a larger capacity one?

· Registered
3,434 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 224 also. This is one of the main reasons why GM updated their temp gage to read 210 in later trailvoys even if it was 190-230. Maybe change the fluid if that hasn't been done in awhile. GM recommends 50k for driving in hot temperatures or mountains. Of course before 2007 then only had a 36k powertrain warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.