Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I might be trying to make some gauge pods again for my Envoy.

Last time I did this (On my trailblazer) I made a molding out of fiberglass. There were two problems That I didn't think about :duh:.

1. Attachment! Didn't think about how to attach the pillar since it didn't have those metal clips. I tried to use extremely tough Velcro. Although this worked it didn't totally match up right.

2. HEAT! The pillar took a beating from the summer heat and sun. Thus, disfiguring and bending the fiberglass.

My attempt for the envoy would be buying an A-pillar ($55):hissy:from the dealership (cant find anyone else that has them) buying and fitting two or three universal pods.

I would then just fiberglass over the pods and the replacement A-pillar. This then would eliminate my two previous problems (heat, attaching) I had for my Trailblazer. And keep form.

My questions now would be - I've seen on other forums that people have fiberglassed, bondoed, primed, and painted (with sanding of course).
My previous pods I did not bondo over the fiberglass. Would using bondo help the appearance of the final product at all?

Sorry it was so long, I feel like I just wrote a school paper :crazy:
dont know if bondo-ed and bondo-ing are words but you get the point...

Anything I missed?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
go to the scrap yard and get one for $5 bucks..

then you can mold and fiberglass the pods right onto the trim to make it look like one solid piece

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
303 Posts
My questions now would be - I've seen on other forums that people have fiberglassed, bondoed, primed, and painted (with sanding of course).
My previous pods I did not bondo over the fiberglass. Would using bondo help the appearance of the final product at all?
I'm in no means a pro at this sort of stuff, but if you plan on painting the final product, then I'd use body filler just as a final glaze coat to get the smoothest surface possible. You could probably also use a high build primer to get the same affect (with sanding on both of course). Keep in mind, though, the primer/and or body filler are only for filling in small imperfections.

Otherwise, if you plan on just placing fabric over it (my personal pref.), you wouldn't need to bondo it, as you will not see any small imperfections through the fabric.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in no means a pro at this sort of stuff, but if you plan on painting the final product, then I'd use body filler just as a final glaze coat to get the smoothest surface possible. You could probably also use a high build primer to get the same affect (with sanding on both of course). Keep in mind, though, the primer/and or body filler are only for filling in small imperfections.

Otherwise, if you plan on just placing fabric over it (my personal pref.), you wouldn't need to bondo it, as you will not see any small imperfections through the fabric.
Ok thanks.

I'll check the junk yard tomorrow after school. If I had to order offline, Would this be the right or the left Pillar?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts