Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 Envoy with the 6 cyl engine. Engine as far as I can tell is running perfectly. I noticed the RPM gauge indicating I'm racing down the road at a break neck speed...the idle RPM is 3000 and drive 40-45mph showing 4500-5000 RPM and up to 9000 accelerating. The engine is not running high, it does not idle high, does not jump when placing in drive, gas economy normal etc. What's the deal? Could the gauge be giving me a false reading? If so, what is the solution?

Thanks in advance for any information thrown my way.

I just went outside to check it with the engine turned off. The gauge is resting a little bit past 3000.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Where do the gauges stop when you turn the truck off? If they do not return to
zero, you've got a bad stepper motor.

If it does return to zero, do you have access to a scan tool that can see real time
sensor data? If you do, see what that's reading when your gauge is acting up.

My bet is on the stepper motor failing. You can get them on eBay for under $10each (there
are six in our instrument panels), and if you're good with a soldering iron, you can use the
instructions here on Trailvoy and swap them out yourself.

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well...i checked and it is resting right past 3000 with the engine off. Anything requiring me to tear into the dash is out of the question...I'm not that smart.....I wonder if i can just live with it as-is?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Of course you can live with it. It's when your fuel gauge or speedometer goes next that you're going to feel some pain.

I'd save up $120 or so to send the gauge cluster off to an Ebay repair outfit, or find some kid who knows how to solder. Buy them a six-pack (of Red Bull or whatever 10 year olds drink nowadays.)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
:iagree: When I did mine, the general repair cost was around $200, plus time, effort
and shipping. It's come down a lot since then.

Of course, if there are any Trailvoy members near you that are handy with a soldering
iron, I bet they could be bribed to lend a hand... :D

Cheers-

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts