Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have suffered from the almighty bad fuel pump, bad fuel level sender catastrophe and I had an off the wall question. I dont know if i am going insane or not, but if you look at the picture below, which is where the gas nozel goes, I almost swear there use to be a silver flap i guess for air pressure or to help overflow.

I was wondering if i am crazy or if it really is missing? Does anybody else have a flap there?. If it is indeed missing it might be causing a negative air pressure or heck even jammed somewhere in the tubes... I dont know...It might be a long shot....

Any help?

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
it looks like it fell into the tank. You're still probably under warranty so take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HEH... Silly me... The car is still under warranty. PHEW!!

Ill make sure to mention this when I take it in tomorrow to get the fuel pump replaced. Thanks everyone!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
211 Posts
i saw your post and decided to take a look at mine.. i have the 5.3l envoy. and low and behold.. I don't have one either.. let me know what the dealer do to fix..

will not having this silver flap have adverse affects on the fuel system, egr system, or fuel milage.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
I have suffered from the almighty bad fuel pump, bad fuel level sender catastrophe and I had an off the wall question. I dont know if i am going insane or not, but if you look at the picture below, which is where the gas nozel goes, I almost swear there use to be a silver flap i guess for air pressure or to help overflow.

I was wondering if i am crazy or if it really is missing? Does anybody else have a flap there?. If it is indeed missing it might be causing a negative air pressure or heck even jammed somewhere in the tubes... I dont know...It might be a long shot....

Any help?
Dont panic guys...the removal of the flipper was a running change on the GMT 900 in april 2006. I am sure it could have occured eariler for the GMT 360 / 370. I specificly remember asking how this change could not have a negative effect. Apparently it was a early EVAP countermeasure that is no longer needed with a modern fuel system. Cost savings to GM 65 cents per vehicle.

Its OK!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
i saw your post and decided to take a look at mine.. i have the 5.3l envoy. and low and behold.. I don't have one either.. let me know what the dealer do to fix..

will not having this silver flap have adverse affects on the fuel system, egr system, or fuel milage.
the dealer would probably just replace the filler neck. I don't know if its that whole assembly or just that part. I'm not sure about the v8's but the I6's do not have EGRs. IMO, it would probably allow gasoline to evaporate easier, causing more gas consumption. But i don't know whether or not it'll affect fuel pressure.

Don't you have a warranty as well? lol

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts

Another 06 Denali here. I don't seem to have it either:bonk:. I'd have to guess they were never there to begin with:weird:. Looks a little weird:crazy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
the dealer would probably just replace the filler neck. I don't know if its that whole assembly or just that part. I'm not sure about the v8's but the I6's do not have EGRs. IMO, it would probably allow gasoline to evaporate easier, causing more gas consumption. But i don't know whether or not it'll affect fuel pressure.

Don't you have a warranty as well? lol
Dont panic guys...the removal of the flipper was a running change cost savings not needed

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the gas tank filler neck flapper valve was for sealing the top of the filler neck if the vehicle was in a crash that separated the top of the filler neck from the gas filler cap in the event the vehicle was rolled off it's normal upright postion. It's to keep fuel from running out of tank if the vehicle is upside down.:duh:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Dont panic guys...the removal of the flipper was a running change cost savings not needed
Dont panic guys...the removal of the flipper was a running change on the GMT 900 in april 2006. I am sure it could have occured eariler for the GMT 360 / 370. I specificly remember asking how this change could not have a negative effect. Apparently it was a early EVAP countermeasure that is no longer needed with a modern fuel system. Cost savings to GM 65 cents per vehicle.

Its OK!
Tell them one more time.:D
I think the gas tank filler neck flapper valve was for sealing the top of the filler neck if the vehicle was in a crash that separated the top of the filler neck from the gas filler cap in the event the vehicle was rolled off it's normal upright postion. It's to keep fuel from running out of tank if the vehicle is upside down.:duh:
No, that is what the cap does.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The flap may slow the gas in a rollover or tip over if the cap is not on. But it will not stop the flow completely. If you look at the bottom of the picture , there is also a small hole for gas to drain into the tank if you have the flap and try to over fill the tank.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
56 Posts

Its OK!
Thanks for that information. I've wondered that since I first noticed it several months ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got the car fixed and they did say they found the flap in the tank... PHEW i wasnt crazy. But i guess they didnt deem it important enough to replace it since its still gone. BUT YEAH! GO GO GADGET WORKING FUEL INDICATOR!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
i always thought that thing was in there to keep people from siphoning gas out of your gas tank.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
211 Posts
Well I got the car fixed and they did say they found the flap in the tank... PHEW i wasnt crazy. But i guess they didnt deem it important enough to replace it since its still gone. BUT YEAH! GO GO GADGET WORKING FUEL INDICATOR!! :thumbsup:
OK are the i6 suppose to have the flapper and not the v8?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts