Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 03 Trailblazer and was wondering how many gallons does my gas tank hold and also is there a low fuel indicator and if there is, how many gallons are left when it comes on.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
72 Posts
I think the tank holds 18-20 gal. There is a light on the fuel gauge itself, it'll ding when you get low. As for how many gallons will be left at that point couldn't tell ya Ive never pushed it, would imagine 2-3 gal.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
232 Posts
Look in your glove box to see if you have the following RPO code

NNK PART PKG, EXT CAP FUEL TANK 22 GAL (83.3 L)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
Since you have an 03---- you have 2 possible tank sizes...
Early models had the 18.7 gallon tank. Somewhere thru the production- they changed to the 22 gallon tank.
I have an 03- and it has the 18.7 gallon tank.
When my low fuel light comes on- and I drive to the gas station-
It will on average take 16.7 gallons to refill.
Meaning that I still have 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank when the light comes on.
Once your light comes on- I recommend you go gas up- and take note of how much it took...
Over several tank fulls- youll be able to approximate how much gas you have left.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I drove about 15-20 (city) miles when my light came on, and i have a 18.7 Gallon tank. The light is suppose to come on when you have 2 gallons of gas or less.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
501 Posts
EXT models also had a larger tank. Mine has the 18.7. I have driven as far as 50 miles with the low fuel light on. Now, I swear this is true, It took 19.3 gallons to fill it up to the neck. Can you say "fumes"? However, I would not recommend that to everyone. I just know my TB.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
EXT models also had a larger tank. Mine has the 18.7. I have driven as far as 50 miles with the low fuel light on. Now, I swear this is true, It took 19.3 gallons to fill it up to the neck. Can you say "fumes"? However, I would not recommend that to everyone. I just know my TB.
The gas station pump might have been metering wrong. :( Have you ever put that much in the tank again? I have never gotten more than 18.25 to the very top of the neck.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
857 Posts
Have an 03 Trailblazer and was wondering how many gallons does my gas tank hold and also is there a low fuel indicator and if there is, how many gallons are left when it comes on.
Since you have an 03---- you have 2 possible tank sizes...
Early models had the 18.7 gallon tank. Somewhere thru the production- they changed to the 22 gallon tank.
I have an 03- and it has the 18.7 gallon tank.
When my low fuel light comes on- and I drive to the gas station-
It will on average take 16.7 gallons to refill.
Meaning that I still have 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank when the light comes on.
Once your light comes on- I recommend you go gas up- and take note of how much it took...
Over several tank fulls- youll be able to approximate how much gas you have left.
It's possible as rbarrios said to have 2 possible sizes....you can either watch the pump and if you get gas when your light is at E and it fills 18-19 or more at E then you obviously have the 22 gallon, if its only takes 15-17 gallons on E then its the 18.7 gallon tank......if you do this method I would watch 3 fill ups to see where it stops at seeing how it was already said that the gas stations pump meters might be alittle off sometimes....

Or you can just take your VIN to a local GM dealership and ask them to run it because your not sure what are the spec's, that will tell you everything, including the tank size

·
Registered
501 Posts
Metering on the pump is OK. The station owner is a friend of mine. It was really JUST EMPTY. It only happened one time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious

Hi, I happen to have a 2003 Trailblazer LT EXT and I just put in 20 gallons and the low light was not on, nor was I but barely under the quater tank mark. Is it possible that I have a 25 gallon tank?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Yes, we have a 25 gallon tank in the EXTs. The low fuel light usually comes on when you get down around 2 gallons remaining.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
My low fuel light happens at 5 gallons left i have the 22 gallon tank and when i fill up its 17 gallons at most... i made it home from delaware with low fuel light all the way to my local exxon and still had 2 gallons left... That was the drive back from tecore... filled up before i left and that was it... 370 miles on 20 gallons averaging over 80... with my lift and tires with camping gear. 18 mpg's!

Any ways i've had up to 6 gallons left when i get to low fuel... i think mines off by a bit.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
fuel tank leaking

I have an '03 EXT LT with a leaking gas tank. Apparently, the corrosion issue bitus as well. Trying to locate a 22 or 25 gallon tank. Dealer wants over $2,000 to repair, Anyone know if GM paying for this repair, very dangerous. Son was driving to Atlanta from New York back to college when this occurred.
Any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Where is the leak? There is a special warranty for the leak at the top of the tank.

If you need a new tank, check local salvage yards, Car-parts.com or Rockauto.com. :m2:

Also, unless this is covered by a warranty, try finding a good local mechanic. Dealers charge too much.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. Leak is at top. Going to push GM to pay for the new tank and fuel pump. Very dangerous situation. Meanwhile I will go to the sites you directed me to

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 02' TB with 18.7 gallon tank, does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to the 22 gallon tank? I drive long distances, it would just be nice to stop less frequently.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,029 Posts
I have an 02' TB with 18.7 gallon tank, does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to the 22 gallon tank? I drive long distances, it would just be nice to stop less frequently.
Same frame so I am thinking yes however the hoses might not reach if the pump is further away. As for fitting a 25 gallon tank into a SWB trailvoy I don't that can be done. It's too short.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8 Posts
Hi, I happen to have a 2003 Trailblazer LT EXT and I just put in 20 gallons and the low light was not on, nor was I but barely under the quater tank mark. Is it possible that I have a 25 gallon tank?
I have a 06' LS EXT. I have a 25 gal tank. For those of you that may have forgotten, most of today's trucks come with an owners manual. It'll tell you silly lil things like your tank size. :crackup:

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
975 Posts
tank

08 , Tank is 22 gallons. My guage seems to extremely accurate , if the low fuel light comes on you better find a station pronto on mine.:yes: Previos poster is correct it's all in the owners manual under capacities.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts