Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm pumping gas the pump clicks off over and over!
I asked a gas station fuel check technician that was filling up a rolling metal box measuring the different types of gas why my pump was always clicking off. He said California gas pumps require fume return valves and that my truck must not have the right cap/tank port for most gas pumps here...
Does anyone have a link for the right gas tank port on an 03 Envoy?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I found 1 out of 10 pumps are too sensitive for mine, and I just remember which ones and don't use them at my regular stations.

There are no optional ones to change to on trailvoys, and unless you have a clogged vent (which would throw an EVAP system code), just find another pump to use.

Unless all pumps are too sensitive for you, in which case you may have something clogged/kinked in the vent hoses that you should be able to find with a visual inspection up under the fender.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
118 Posts
When I'm pumping gas the pump clicks off over and over!
I asked a gas station fuel check technician that was filling up a rolling metal box measuring the different types of gas why my pump was always clicking off. He said California gas pumps require fume return valves
True. Cali. has vapor recovery systems in place since the mid-70's , even for fuel delivery trucks. You can actually suck pure gas that you have paid for back into their tank if you try to top off to much.

I found 1 out of 10 pumps are too sensitive for mine, and I just remember which ones and don't use them at my regular stations.

There are no optional ones to change to on trailvoys, and unless you have a clogged vent (which would throw an EVAP system code), just find another pump to use.

Unless all pumps are too sensitive for you, in which case you may have something clogged/kinked in the vent hoses that you should be able to find with a visual inspection up under the fender.

Agree totally. Find the pump that works for you. I have several that do not work for whatever reason and avoid.

If you get them to pull the nozzel out just a bit, when they are pumping you should have not problem. It work for me. Might save you a little money.

Also agree on this one. If you are alone in the middle of the boonies, just hold the nozzle to get an air gap and do not depend on the auto shut off to work. It could pump out $40 or more of gas on the ground while you are powdering your nose in the facility. Always attend your fueling operation.

HTH.............Mike

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I get more like 1 out of 10 that work. I found one yesterday that had a new pump without the recovery valve but that has been the only one I can find...

Sometimes it will work with the nozzle out a bit but most pumps keep clicking off...

I'll check the hose for cloggs or kinks and return...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
118 Posts
Ok I get more like 1 out of 10 that work. I found one yesterday that had a new pump without the recovery valve but that has been the only one I can find...

Sometimes it will work with the nozzle out a bit but most pumps keep clicking off...

I'll check the hose for cloggs or kinks and return...
OK, got it.

Have a late '70's Chevy dually that does the same thing. Try pulling back on the flex hose a little bit to break the vac. ( more free air ) and see if that helps. The VR couplings/sensors are getting more sensitive as of late. A PITA for sure. Have only seen fueling leakage problems on this forum for the early 360 platform. You may have an EVAC clog. In that case you should have a DTC code set. Any SES lights jumping out ?? You are still moving, good sign. Any drastic MPG drop lately ?? Keep working and reading this forum. We can work it out for you.

Check back....Mike

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
272 Posts
had the same problem in nj , turns out there is a tsb out for that very problem on the '03's, something to do with the hoses between the tank and fuel inlet, I changed to the updated hoses , problem solved..........the service bulletin # is 040604003

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok cool thanks! I looked up this TSB#040604003. It looks like the fuel filler neck needs replacement. Anyone have a link for this part. Most people just took it to the dealer but I'm not under warranty~

-I did find the new EVP pumps at Arco have been working well-Also lowest price same as costco!

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,456 Posts
Not a 100% sure but would that fall under the emissions warranty?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
in which case you may have something clogged/kinked in the vent hoses that you should be able to find with a visual inspection up under the fender.
Thanks roadie I need a new hose to my tank! The old one is all kinked and bent up from letting the handle rest in the fill valve...even after I straighten it out it just bends right back, it looks like the previous owners had zip tied it to hold it up.

I'll try to post a pic. Anyone got a part number for that?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
58 Posts
new fuel filler hose assembly - replace

i just did this on mine, took about 45 mins and didn't require any special tools. i was overly cautious (we are dealing with gasoline here), so i took my time.

not a difficult job at all, most tedious part was fishing the old rubber and metal hose assembly out from under the vehicle (no need to jack it up, unless you have a big belly... :) ).

i carefully slit the oem rubber hose from the gas tank neck (it was dried up and was difficult to pull off), removed a nut on the filler door bracket, removed a couple other bolts off the support bracket, and replaced with the new assembly. easy-peasy.

got mine off ebay for $50 (lucky - this is normally a dealer oem part - i recall about $75?).

the new redesigned hose filler assembly has a plastic flapper valve inside to prevent overflow/backsplash when filling (auto stop on the nozzle).

check out this link (with my response):

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=47610&highlight=gas+filler+overflow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.