Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, I ran into this issue lately, and the other day I was unable to fuel my vehicle and almost ran out of gas on the way home, found this article and thought it'd be useful for anyone having the same problem. All the parts are available on GM Parts Direct. I called GM and they said since its a TSB it has to be under warranty for them to fix it free of cost, they wanted upwards of 200 dollars to complete the job... cost me 75 dollars and an hour of my time.

As always, perform at your own risk, and make sure all open flames with in a mile radius are out :)

here it is:

Vehicle is Difficult to Fill with Fuel or Filling Station Pump Shuts Off Before Tank is Full or Fuel Spits Back/Out When Filling Tank (Replace Fuel Tank Filler Upper Pipe and Lower Hose) #04-06-04-003A - (08/11/2004)
Vehicle is Difficult to Fill with Fuel or Filling Station Pump Shuts Off Before Tank is Full or Fuel Spits Back/Out When Filling Tank (Replace Fuel Tank Filler Upper Pipe and Lower Hose)

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2003 GMC Envoy with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2002-2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT
2002-2003 GMC Envoy XL
2004 Buick Rainier
2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV
2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
Built Prior to December 2003

This bulletin is being revised to provide new part number for 2002-2003 vehicles. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-003 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

This bulletin provides information on two different conditions.
Condition 1

Some customers may comment that their vehicle is difficult to fill with fuel or when filling, the pump continuously shuts off before the tank is full.
Cause

This condition may be caused by the variability (fuel flow rates, type of fuel fill nozzle, fuel properties) at the filling stations. There is a potential to develop an increase in back pressures internal to the fuel fill neck. This back pressure trips the fuel nozzle prior to filling the tank, or results in a hard to fill condition.
Condition 2

Some customers may comment that when filling the fuel tank, a small amount of fuel may spit back/out.
Cause

This condition may be caused by the equalization of pressure between the fuel tank and the fuel fill neck that does not react quickly to the variance in the pressure when the fueling station fuel nozzle trips off.
Correction

Replace the fuel tank filler upper pipe assembly with P/N 88983256 or P/N 15131043, and lower hose assembly with P/N 15131046. The new upper pipe has been redesigned to provide smoother flow conditions within the section and the lower hose has been redesigned to include a checking feature. Use the procedure listed below.

1. Remove the fuel fill cap.
2. Remove the fuel fill pipe housing.

3 Remove the fuel fill pipe bracket nut (2).
4 Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #744862).
5 Remove the fuel fill pipe ground strap bolt.
6 Cut off the ground strap ring terminal and tie strap.

7. Loosen the fuel hose clamp (8).
8. Remove the fuel fill upper pipe (7) from the vehicle.
9. Install the new fuel fill upper pipe into the vehicle. Use P/N 88983256 for 2002-2003 model year vehicles or P/N 15131043 for 2004 model year vehicles.
10. Tighten the fuel hose clamp.
Tighten

Tighten the clamp to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).
11. Wrap the excess length of ground strap around the fuel hose as necessary.
12. Install the fuel fill pipe ground strap bolt in its original location.
13. Loosen the fuel hose clamps (1,3).
14. Remove the lower fuel hose (2) from the vehicle.
15. Install the new lower fuel hose into the vehicle.
16. Tighten the lower fuel hose clamps.
Tighten

Tighten the clamps to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).
17. Lower the vehicle.
18. Install the fuel fill pipe bracket nut.
Tighten

Tighten the nut to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
19. Install the fuel fill pipe housing.
20. Install the fuel fill cap.

Parts Information

PN 88983256 Pipe Asm - F/Tank Fill (2002-2003 vehicles)
PN15131043 Pipe Asm - F/Tank Fill (2004 vehicles)
PN 15131046 Hose - F/Tank Fill

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
thanks - worked out great

thanks for the detailed posting with all the part# info and schematics.

i've been living (dangerously) with this problem for several years. it's unbelieveable that nobody has been seriously injured/killed by the overflowing gas that erupts when filling the gas tank (with the nozzle set for automatic shutoff). at least 1/2 cup of gas would routinely spray past the nozzle during every refill. if it wasn't for the rubber protective boot on the nozzle (at most gas stations), it could even get in your face. not to mention the gas dripping down the side of the vehicle, ruining the paint and plastics. the potential for a fire hazard is enormous (i.e. all you need is a static charge or spark for ignition of vapors from the fuel spray).

i installed the fuel hose assembly, with integrated flapper/check valve, and it only took me about 45 mins. had to cutoff the original rubber hose which connected to the gas tank filler neck (plastic tank & neck) because the rubber had become stiff with age (didn't want to pull off). i was even able to fish the new assembly into place while it was still assembled, it just took some patience.

i filled up the tank for the first time, and voila' no more gas eruption. very nice.

my theory on the root cause of the overflow problem on the oem setup:
the plastic gas tank must become pressurized during gas tank fill up. the internal pressure probably causes the plastic tank to expand slightly (like a balloon), and when the fuel nozzle shuts off this internal pressure causes any gas that is inside the filler hose to be expelled out the fuel filler neck - thus shooting outside the vehicle.

my observations of fuel overflow are not limited to a single gas stations pumps, this problem occurs on EVERY pump i've encountered. as a result i've been filling my tank manually (not using the auto shutoff) for years. i don't really mind manually filling the tank, however i DO have a big problem with the dangerous safety condition caused when said gas overflows/erupts/sprays from the filler neck. shame on you GM engineers (or GM marketing people that over-rode the engineers input/test results).

no kudos to my local GMP dealer, where the service manager acted clueless when i asked about any tech bulletins describing this defect. however, he was more than happy to ask if i wanted new end links installed for $500 (they were not broken, thank you).

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Thanks!! This'll help out a lot of members!!

Looks Great!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
ive had this problem sence i bought my trailblazer..its weird like ill get an evap code cel and then this gas **** starts to happen...maybe this will solve both problems...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this! I've had the problem
since I got the vehicle, and was getting tired of the fuel odor.

At least now I have a procedure and a TSB number to take to the
dealer... :) Glad I got a "certified" vehicle, too!

This forum has been an information gold mine! :)

Chris

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Good information. I am glad I have the small tank. :)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
Interestingly enough, happens to me sometimes, only sometimes, the pump keeps on shutting off, however, if i place the nozzle in a different position it stops. Again, it only happens sometimes.

Since this is a TSB, should the GM dealer fix it for free under warranty? If they do, then I need to do this now because my warranty ends in August, and since it is a certified vehicle, I don't want to end up fixing this myself.

If they don't, how complicated it is to fix this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice to know I am not crazy. I am quite used to finding that perfect spot to have the hose when I fill. I also understand that overfilling the tank can sometimes result in the EVAP canister and related problems. I had replaced most of that some time ago as I had the SES and p0440 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Because there is a TSB on this issue GM won't just replace these parts right? My T/B is a 03 with 115k on it. GM won't do anything now will they?
If I replace these parts myself where do you get them at the dealer or maybe ebay? What is best. Thanks for the info.:undecided

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
330 Posts
Interestingly enough, happens to me sometimes, only sometimes, the pump keeps on shutting off, however, if i place the nozzle in a different position it stops. Again, it only happens sometimes.

Since this is a TSB, should the GM dealer fix it for free under warranty? If they do, then I need to do this now because my warranty ends in August, and since it is a certified vehicle, I don't want to end up fixing this myself.

I have the same problem on my 05. I took it to the dealer this week (under warranty) and they said that they cant find anything wrong with it and unless i get a code for it there's nothing they can really do.

·
Registered
2004 gmc trailblazer_lt
14 Posts

This is the same with me.....but I havent had it happen in a while (knocking on wood!).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
I have the same problem on my 05. I took it to the dealer this week (under warranty) and they said that they cant find anything wrong with it and unless i get a code for it there's nothing they can really do.
Show them the TSB. I've had to do that with my HHR to get them to fix something. At first they said the issue wasn't covered under warranty. As soon as I gave them the TSB number, they looked into it and said it was covered.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
330 Posts
Show them the TSB. I've had to do that with my HHR to get them to fix something. At first they said the issue wasn't covered under warranty. As soon as I gave them the TSB number, they looked into it and said it was covered.
I showed them the tsb but it didnt cover my model year. The tsb on this is for 02-04 tb with production date of 03. Mine is an 05 with production date of 04 and they said that my model should have come with the post tsb parts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welp I got the weather but not the pictures, good enough for me.

simply grab and pull the rubber cover off, once removed I washed mine, it had a lot of dirt build up.

There's 2 studs sticking up yet my TB only had 1 nut, my guess is there should be 2 nuts.... remove both those nuts. 10MM

Remove the ground nut 10mm, there's really no reason to cut the wire, at least not yet.

After that, on the top side of the frame rail there's a single plastic clip that holds the gas filler in place.

it looks sort of like that, take a flat head screw driver and pop the top up, once that's up you can remove the fuel hose from the frame rail. For now remove it but allow the line to sit on top of the frame since it's still attached to the gas tank.

Loosen the clamps both are 7mm and take a large flathead screw driver, you can stick it between the gastank/axle and wedge it between the house/tank outlet, DO NOT PRY, but simply just twist the screw driver so it puts some pressure on the hose, at the same time try to twist and pull the hose off. If you have any issues with it, DO NOT force it, just do as another poster said and cut it.

NOTE if you remove just the lower clamp and are able to get it off the gas tank, you do not need to loosen any other clamps. You can remove the whole fuel fill tubing piece in one long piece.

The next two pictures are of the upper hose clamps, when removing the filler hose I wouldn't touch those, you can bend the hose around enough to remove it with out touching them.

Once everything is removed, go ahead and get your new parts ready. First thing you need to do is check the new ground wire, mine was about 5 inches too short! I cut the new one and extended it using the old line. After that's done, go ahead and loosen every hose clamp and if its already attached remove the lower hose (the one that connects to the gas tank) you might need to stick a thin flat head under the hose and twist it upward to help break the rubber loose, Go ahead and take some WD40 and give each end of the rubber hose a shot, you want it so that you can easily twist the rubber hose around, trust me, if you don't do this trying to get things in place are such a PITA. once every hose is easily movable go ahead and reinstall everything leaving all the house clamps loose. First goal is to get metal part of the filler tube to mount with the frame rail, you have to stick the metal tab in first, and then insert the plastic clip. Once that's in place simple rotate all the rubber hoses until everything lines up the best you can for the smoothest route and tighten everything down, lastly wrap the ground cable round the filler tube and fasten it back to the frame.

Things not to assume.

That it will fit as GM has it pieced together, no way no how. Not even close for me.

Ground cable will reach.... NOT! surprise surprise......

That you will easily adjust the rubber hoses while under the truck without first breaking them free and giving them a shot of WD40 or something else slick.

That you must jack the truck up, I didn't have to.

I noticed the gas tank has a Part # sticker on it, my guess is they replaced the gas tank before I bought it? Also the fact that there's only 1 nut up near the filler tells me they had the filler hose off once before, plus the lower rubber piece (one I removed) had the check valve in it..... weird......

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
Can anybody tell me if the procedure is the same, as well as the part numbers, for an 02 TB short wheel base small tank? Also, is the check valve part of the lower hose assembly?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
Please re-post replacement process photos

I have an 02 Trailblazer (LS) that shows no codes but this morning was spitting gas out like crazy when trying to fill it. I couldn't even manage to get 1 gallon in, in spite of trying 2 gas stations and multiple nozzle positions. Also, I have less than 1/4 tank of gas in the truck.

Possible it is a kinked rubber hose from the filler neck to tank, or is it the fuel tank upper pipe assembly as mentioned here that needs to be replaced?

Also, if possible to re-post the pictures for the replacement process mentioned would be awesome.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts