Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, im new to owning a TB, I love the thing but man, I need more acceleration and some better gas millage. BIG TIME!!

right now lets only talk about MPG. I have owned a bunch of vehicles, work in an auto shop, and have been moding for a few years. So most of what is out there isnt new to me. I do have access to a lift and a large selection of tools.

my current idea list for getting better MPG is bellow. What I am asking is that you copy and paste the list in ur post if you have anything at all to add.

Im realy looking forward to hearing from you guys who have had a TB for a while and have tried a few different things to find what works best.

thank you for all of your help. Im loving this site!!

1. CAI intake from Volant or true flow
2. dif fluid change to amsoil
3. trany fluid change to amsoil
4. engine oil and filter changed to amsoil
5. coolant changed to amsoil
6. keep rpms down
7. use amsoil engine flush and "PI" to clean top and bottom of engine
8. possible switch to efan
9. In truck tune with HP tunner
10. MSD Dash hawk to monitor things

please add !!!

:thx

p.s.

the reason i put in truck tune, instead of pcm for less is.....I have known a few people with the pcm for less tune and it wasnt great. A reliable tune, but not what they wanted. not to mention they send out generic tunes! yet everyone truck is different. you will never really get what ur looking for unless you have someone tune your truck while your driving it, or racing it. what ever the purpose of the vehicle may be. everyone lives in different ares, different elevations, and different mods. do your self a favor and get a custom in truck tune. Also the tunes that PCM for less sell are dyno tunes. i dont know about u but i dont drive around all day at WOT. so i that type of tune does not suite my ride. it may suite yours, but not me. Im not slandering anyone's choice. lets be clear about that. to each his own! I need something with a lil extra pep, better mpg, and a fuel curve that is set properly. I have heard form many guys that tune these trucks, that they have to pull fuel from the map all over the place (for those that dont know, this means the truck normaly runs very rich - aka too much fuel)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
Not sure what your definition of Bad mileage is?

Also, I am not sure what your sources are of the PCMforless tune are but I can tell you that the PCMforless tune was a great addition to our Envoy. This is my wifes vehicle so the tune wasn't for hotrodding. This tune provided a better shift pattern along with getting rid of that annoying sluggish feel in the mid range rpm - much more responsive. It also seems to get better mileage with the tune. I highly recommend it.

fyi - I changed my Oxygen Sensor and my mileage increased by 2mpg. It never gave me any indication that it was bad (no SES light or code).

Rob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what your definition of Bad mileage is?

Also, I am not sure what your sources are of the PCMforless tune are but I can tell you that the PCMforless tune was a great addition to our Envoy. This is my wifes vehicle so the tune wasn't for hotrodding. This tune provided a better shift pattern along with getting rid of that annoying sluggish feel in the mid range rpm - much more responsive. It also seems to get better mileage with the tune. I highly recommend it.

fyi - I changed my Oxygen Sensor and my mileage increased by 2mpg. It never gave me any indication that it was bad (no SES light or code).

Rob
im not arguing or saying that pcm for less tunes are bad. they are great tunes. they just arent right for me. i dont believe in using a generic tune. if i am gona get a tune its gona be custom tune while i drive it.

im not saying this truck had bad gas millage either, just saying i want to try to get a little bit more. every xtra mpg helps ;) expcialy on my ext tb of a beast. hahaha

thnx for ur input bro! much appreicated

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got me a set of granatelli mpg plug wires they guarantee up to 15% better mileage and I picked up an average of 2 more mpg with them. They have a 30 day money back guarantee if you aren't happy with them. They were $93 shipped.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got me a set of granatelli mpg plug wires they guarantee up to 15% better mileage and I picked up an average of 2 more mpg with them. They have a 30 day money back guarantee if you aren't happy with them. They were $93 shipped.
i have the inline 6 so i dont have plug wires. our coil packs sit right on top of the spark plug. its a direct connect/fire system.

thnx for the advice though!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is where I got them if the link don't work goto carparts.com and do a search for granatelli and they will show up. The pic is a generic one of plug wires but just select your vehicle and they should have them.

http://www.carparts.com/GRANATELLI-MPG-PLUS-GAS-SAVING-IGNITION-WIRE-SET/GP_2017938_N_10618+200742400+2005_10618.car?showCustom=0&makeName=Chevrolet&makeId=16&modelName=TrailBlazer&modelId=16942&year=2005&showAll=1&refId=20005379&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&scrollToItems=true&Ntt=granatelli

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
what type of mileage are you getting?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was getting 18-20 highway and city mix on average now I get 20-22 on average. I kinda have a lead foot but ain't as bad as my wife.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
FWIW, the computer self-adjusts fuel trim and ignition timing to your specific vehicle anyway... The only thing a tune does is change what the computer tries to work toward (ignition timing, fuel:air ratio, etc). Particularly if you've got a MAF system that actually measures airflow (as opposed to a speed-density system, that calculates airflow from constants such as engine displacement, volumeteric effeciency, air temperature, and rpm), a box-stock tune will be very close to a "custom" tune, especially while in closed loop operation...

BTW, I don't have a horse in this race one way or the other. I'm just saying that a box-stock tune for your vehicle with your mods, if done correctly, will be very close to a "custom" tune. The only thing a "custom" tune can do is allow you to do things the way you "like" them (whether that's right or wrong)...

Mike

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, the computer self-adjusts fuel trim and ignition timing to your specific vehicle anyway... The only thing a tune does is change what the computer tries to work toward (ignition timing, fuel:air ratio, etc). Particularly if you've got a MAF system that actually measures airflow (as opposed to a speed-density system, that calculates airflow from constants such as engine displacement, volumeteric effeciency, air temperature, and rpm), a box-stock tune will be very close to a "custom" tune, especially while in closed loop operation...

BTW, I don't have a horse in this race one way or the other. I'm just saying that a box-stock tune for your vehicle with your mods, if done correctly, will be very close to a "custom" tune. The only thing a "custom" tune can do is allow you to do things the way you "like" them (whether that's right or wrong)...

Mike
everything u said is good and true!

:thx :iagree:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
106 Posts
I am very interested in these. How long have you been running them? How long/difficult is the installation? Please give us details.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am very interested in these. How long have you been running them? How long/difficult is the installation? Please give us details.
i would like to see some pics of the kit installed. the website doesnt have a specific picture for our set up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been running them for a coulpa months now. They were a pain to install but still only took about a hour. As for pics of them I didn't get any they are basically 6 boots and actual wires with ends not a little spring like the stock are.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
I was getting 18-20 highway and city mix on average now I get 20-22 on average. I kinda have a lead foot but ain't as bad as my wife.
:eek: thats POOR mileage!? :suicide:
im 17-18 highway :hopeless

Here is where I got them if the link don't work goto carparts.com and do a search for granatelli and they will show up. The pic is a generic one of plug wires but just select your vehicle and they should have them.

http://www.carparts.com/GRANATELLI-MPG-PLUS-GAS-SAVING-IGNITION-WIRE-SET/GP_2017938_N_10618+200742400+2005_10618.car?showCustom=0&makeName=Chevrolet&makeId=16&modelName=TrailBlazer&modelId=16942&year=2005&showAll=1&refId=20005379&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&scrollToItems=true&Ntt=granatelli
hmm :undecided

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
538 Posts
well i filled my tires with nitrogen and gained like 7 or 8 mpgs handlings pretty good too

1 - 20 of 74 Posts