Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i had about 1/4 tank of gas in my truck i decided to fill up before work so i did as i started my truck at the gas station the guage stayed at "E" and the gas light remains lit up. I drove around for about 25 miles and turned it on and off a couple of times but still same problem. Any suggestions??

thank you
fiore

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Both the stepper motors in the gauge cluster *and* the fuel level senders in the gas tank have had a higher than normal failure rate. You need to be able to look at the data seen by the PCM to be able to tell one failure from another, unless you have a friend to swap gauges with for a minute. A dealer's tech tool, high-end scan tool, or scan software like EFILive can look at what the gas tank sender is saying, to tell if it's the problem or the display.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
and if you dont have the scanners...
then most of the people here have done the following
Run a bottle or 2 of techron- this cleans the electrical contacts on the level sender.... though only a few have luch with this (side effects is it cleans the fuel injectors--- which is good).

other have replaced the fuel pump (comes with fuel pump and level sender---if high mileage vehicle), or replaced only the fuel level sender... usually this fixes the problem......... but we did recently have a member who tried the techron- didnt work, then replaced his level sender...... still didnt work...
then he replaced the stepper motor--- that worked...

or replace the stepper motor.

so if you have access to a scanner--- that would be good-- no guessing

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
:iagree: If you're going to be guessing if you can't get the scanner - at least start guessing with the cheap stuff first, not the most expensive like that other guy.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went for another ride and if i take asharp left turn the needle will move up from e just a little bit to turn the gas light off for about a minute then the needle goes back down and the light comes back on. My truck only has 30k on it. I will buy the techron cleaner tonight since i cant make it to the dealer till the end of the week. Where is the steppe rmotor located? is it the entire cluster?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,251 Posts
Same thing is happening to me buddy, it isn't fun seeing an empty tank after a fill up. This year has been a bit bumpy so far, hopefully it will smooth out a bit.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
if i take asharp left turn the needle will move up from e just a little bit to turn the gas light off for about a minute then the needle goes back down and the light comes back on.
this sounds like normal operation---- if you fill up and the needle goes up to F- then its normal. simply gas sloshing around the tank- and causing movement in the float-- that translates to your needle moving a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts