Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so call me stupid:
I had a full 2 gallon gas can in my trunk because every time I fill my tank the gauge goes all the way to empty. Well I get out of work last monday and open my door to the fumes of gas. Actually it was 2 gallons worth of vapor that sat in a black truck for 11 hours in 80 degree weather. Needless to say I knew exactly what happened. Went into the trunk and the can was on its side still dripping onto the trunk carpet. Theres maybe a few ounces left in the can and giant puddles of gas on the pavement. Aparently my trunk filtered it down throughout the day.

As for the damage:
Its been exactly a week and it still smells like it happened an hour ago. The fumes are ok if you're doing 60mph with the windows down. The carpet in the trunk buckeled up and is now uneven. There are no noticeable stains, but it leaked all the way up into the floor of the back passenger side and caused that floor mat to fold into a "U" shape.

Basically, what can I do to fix this short of getting all new carpet? The car is still under warranty but I highly doubt they will cover it. Should I call a carpet cleaner or something? I'm afraid to even drive my 4 year old son around in it. Thanks for the time guys.

~Matt

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,282 Posts
New carpet, man. Sorry. And you will need to completely clean and scrub the floor before you put it down. I would recommend taking the back carpet section out now, and cleaning up the affected area. You can put new carpet in when you get it. Who cares if it looks funny, it is NOT SAFE to drive around with gas fumes in the truck. It can cause serious health problems and is not worth it.:m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,239 Posts
Pull up the carpet and clean it as good as possible, then buy some kind of odor bomb. We tried cleaning it and putting down baking soda and coffee grounds...the only thing that worked was the odor bomb.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,214 Posts
Since the spill was in fact an 'accident' or accidental, you may actually want to contact your auto insurance company if you maintain Comprehensive coverage. Provided there was no law broken by having the can in the back of the truck, the policy may be forced to respond minus the deductible....Comprehensive covers everything except that which is specifically excluded, which is a VERY short list in most states. - Just a thought, since you're looking at most likely replacing all of the carpet, any insulation under it or in the rear fenders and possibly even the rear seats. (If the carpet under the seat us 'U' shaped, there's a good chance the rear seat bottoms have been exposed as well.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,624 Posts
no i had engine coolant spill in my trunk at MORA... but someone had gas spilled in there truck a few weeks before MORA...

mine was coolant and only a gallon so it was ll in the sump and i just took it to turtle wax and they shampooed it..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'll look into the insurance side and clean the trunk out. I knew when it happened that it was going to be a pain in the a**. Everytime I try to save up for an LS1 this happens... :hopeless

~Matt

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,302 Posts
no i had engine coolant spill in my trunk at MORA... but someone had gas spilled in there truck a few weeks before MORA...

mine was coolant and only a gallon so it was ll in the sump and i just took it to turtle wax and they shampooed it..
I'm begining to wonder about you....:crazy: haha That & then the lights...:laugh:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,364 Posts
the gas spill before MORA was me :bonk: i pulled the 3rd row seats and went to work with scrubbing it all down with heavy dish soap to help "float" the gas up and took the steam cleaner to it and go it all up and didnt have a smell or problems after......
i use my reciever platform to carry anything liquid any more after that alittle extra to hook it up but alot less work then having to clean up a mess

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
I'm begining to wonder about you....:crazy: haha That & then the lights...:laugh:
beginning huh... u really dont know me yet then
Any doubts you have about hatchett will be answered in a few weeks:crackup:

I am sure your face will look something like this :excited: when you meet him, followed by

Just remember who's tire treads those are :crackup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Firebear:

Did you spill a lot on your carpets? At least a gallon and a half came out. It ended up all over the pavement. And while sitting soaked in the heat, the carpet started popping up. I wish I could just soap and vacuum it, but I really doubt that it would work at this point.

How much would new carpet cost? I looked it up really quick on some shady website off yahoo and saw $182. But I don't know if that was the whole car or what. I'm off work today to get some quotes and try to get this done. Thanks for the help guys.

~Matt

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,624 Posts
before replacing the carpet and everything... i would steam clean it then pull the sides out and lift up the carpet and see what kind of damage there is under the carpet.. and while under there clean it up with warm water and a light detergent.. and then put down some oder eaters or something... they have stuff for gasoline(i think) in stores like menards or home depot... dont quote me on this tho... but if it looks really bad under there.. like the paint is starting to come off the floor.. ur most likly looking at a complete tear out and cleaning..

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,364 Posts
Firebear:

Did you spill a lot on your carpets? At least a gallon and a half came out. It ended up all over the pavement. And while sitting soaked in the heat, the carpet started popping up. I wish I could just soap and vacuum it, but I really doubt that it would work at this point.
well it may have been about a quart and a half or so but i got to work on it right after it happened using warm water soaking the carpet since gas is lighter then water it floated alot of it up and then poured dawn dish soap on it and used a brush to scrub it then went to work with the steam cleaner luckly i got it all up before it had time to damage anything i had it under the rear seats which i removed for cleaning also in the rear storage tub

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

I should be getting my truck back tomorrow at the earliest but more likely on friday. I dropped it off last wednesday.

My attempt to clean the smell and gas from the carpet was useless. The carpet popped up more and the fumes in the trunk were enough to make me want to pass out (and I LOVE the smell of gas). Turns out the gas made its way all the way up the passenger side of the car into the front seat. I guess the lot I was parked in had a slope or crown. I tried the vacuum, the deodorizers, and everything else and it was just pointless.

I got some quotes last tuesday. A few were over the phone but they hadn't seen the trunk. I took it to two places for an estimate. The first place said they wouldn't do it because it was too much work and it wasn't a classic car :mad: . the second place was called Finish Line in Lawrenceville, NJ. I left it with them.

We looked under the carpet in the trunk and there was still about a half gallon of gas under it. They had to take out everything in the truck down to the metal. All the seats, the consoles, all the plastic, and especially the carpets. Originally they thought they could just replace the trunk carpet piece but it will end up being the front/back seat piece too. They ran an atmosphere machine (?) in it for two days and then got to work on the carpet swap.

So after 8 days of work my interior will be mint. I worked the deal out beforehand because I had other quotes to show them. I'm paying for 8 hours of labor (they estimated 3 days of work originally), only the trunk piece of carpet, 10% off because they just opened this building, they washed and waxed it, polished the magnaflow tips, steam cleaned the seats, detailed the interior plastics, and even polished the K&N intake and TB spacer. All that for $861. I just want my truck back. At this point even if it still smells a little haha. I had to drive my brother's crappy 98 Chrysler Cirrus. I wanted to put it into a wall. Thanks for the help boys

~Matt

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,364 Posts
yepp yepp thats why im not goint to carry gas or things of that nature inside my voy anymore i got a reciever hitch platform now that ill carry it on from now on well i guess atleast the good news is your going to be reunited with your TB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.