Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I had someone fill my fuel full with gas on my '07 Trailblazer, and instead of just topping it off on a fill up, they overfilled it so that the purchase price would be an even dollar amount (they were too lazy to make change for a dollar). As soon as I left the gas station, I noticed that the gas guage read empty with the yellow light on to state there was no gas at all.

I called my OnStar advisor and the Chevy tech on the phone stated that it has been a problem noted previously on '07 Trailblazers. I was told to watch the fuel and to make sure I did not get too low and run out. As soon as this call ended the readout for any trouble indicated that the engine was showing a code as the symbol for engine was lit up for awhile, then after about 25 miles the engine light went out.

For a couple of days, the guage still read empty, then after starting the truck, it would go to full, then the needle would go down then up a few times.

I believe the guage has more or less stablized now, but why would it initially read empty after a fill up? :weird:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I would guess the sender unit was being used in a location it had NEVER been sent to before, so there could have been oxidation/gunk on the position sensor. If it's stabilized now and in the most-often-used-region, you're probably fine.

The SES light might have been the code for loose gas cap or EVAP pressurization test failure, also triggered by the overfilling. Hard to tell if you didn't catch the code in the act.

If you can, consider getting a Scangauge II for under $200. It can look at the codes, clear them, and also look at the raw sensor data being seen by the vehicle BEFORE it gets sent to the gauge cluster. It's a very quick way to determine if the gas gauge is wrong, or the sender.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
shortly after i purchased mine it did the same thing but was still under warranty, i took it to the stealership and they had determined that it was a faulty sending unit and replaced it, works fine now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas Gauge reading empty

shortly after i purchased mine it did the same thing but was still under warranty, i took it to the stealership and they had determined that it was a faulty sending unit and replaced it, works fine now.
Has anyone outside of warranty had this problem fixed? What is the cost to repair the gauge? The sending unit?

Many thanks!

Smooth:thx

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
21 Posts
In Lexington, SC it's a $380.00 repair, I had the sending unit replaced last week, mine went out around 38,000 miles. It was covered under extended warranty with $100.00 deductible. If it wasn't for the extended warranty I was going to buy the part and do it myself.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
179 Posts
Has anyone outside of warranty had this problem fixed? What is the cost to repair the gauge? The sending unit?

Many thanks!

Smooth:thx
The gauge can not be replaced itself, unless you take it apart and replace the individual stepper motor, there is a wonderful how to on this, just search it! If you want to get the whole cluster replaced it is in the range of $700.00, to have the dealer do it. I do not know however how much it would be for an independent place to do it. I had this problem with my trailblazer, and my sending unit was covered under warranty so I am not sure how much it is with out warranty, I don't want to just give you a number. I am sure someone will have that information for you. Take care and good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts