Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any appreciable gain to installing a K&N drop in over the factor filter?

I did a bunch of different searches and found that the factory air box flows fairly well compared to adding a CAI, but nothing really on just adding the K&N filter. Worth the $55.00 in forum's opinion?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,667 Posts
There's various opinions on this. It depends on your budget.

If you're strapped and you NEED to replace the filter, go with the drop in.
If you can spare $200 and need to replace the filter, by all means, get the K&N CAI.
If money is no object, go get that thing regardless of the current filter.

Some previous observations:
The K&N FIPK's heat shield doesn't do much unless you insulate the top and the sides with some kind of PVC foam.
A member showed us EFILive readings of two 30 minute drives. The first, with just the CAI, showed 145-150 degree IATs, whereas the second, with PVC foam insulation, showed 90 degree IATs.
Some have even reported success (but no sensor readings) with modifying the stock airbox to fit over the K&N CAI.

Hope this helps. MY opinion is that I would get the CAI as soon as I needed a new filter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good points....I'm thinking flow with stock filter and flow with K&N can't be too different. Both pull cooler air inside with the stock box over ad-on filters with no heat barriers ...so I think I'm still ahead of the game.

I've got an extra "real" fenderwell system from my SRT4 Neon....would like to see if I can get the filter outside the engine compartment.......

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,667 Posts
Channeling cool air into the air filter.... - Chevy TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy Forum

This thread goes over some ideas like that.

What a member there did was cut a hole in the stock airbox and runa 4" garden hose from behind the bumper. Providing that the seal between the airbox and the bumper is somewhat airtight, the filter will pull air from below the engine bay. This can be combined with the K&N CAI for slightly superior results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts